Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Great River Road Ride - Day One



Day One and although there was rain from La Crosse to Swing Inn, what a great ride! Steve – you remember the Swing Inn? We had to back-track bars for someone’s cell phone…nope, not mine. Hey, I was a movie star for the lunch though. The young girl, who was helping her mom out, thought I was the star from her favorite movie, too bad I don’t remember which one.

Took off at 10:00 with the odometer reading 1610, and 350 miles later, ended up here - Blue Cat Brew. Yep, where better to be working on my blog than a bar? Thanks to Lindsey for feeding me the beers, but that must be what it takes to get my creative juices flowing, a good looking chic serving alcohol.

Where is Blue Cat Brew, you ask? The Quad-Cities - Rock Island, IL to be exact and it pays to talk to people along the way. While at a gas stop, I decided to hit the local park Sheriff up on which downtown would be more fun for a young guy like me on a Monday night - yep, he sent me to Rock Island. Once I finally found it, I decided to ask a guy walking along downtown where a decent place to stay was – well, the way it turns out, he works for the government on the Great River Road and since I told him I rode it from St Paul down, he decided to hire me for a meeting tomorrow morning, what a deal, a room for half price and free breakfast just to tell them what I think of the road – so, for tonight, I work for the government.

You can see from the pictures that the weather started out cloudy and rainy, but after lunch, it was clear sailing. If you’re wondering about the picture with the rock, no trip thru Wisconsin is a trip without stopping at the Rock in the House…someone was awfully lucky they had to piss before the rock went through the bedroom. Another suggested stop; Galena IL, a great artist colony that I’ll be sure to bring someone to romance for a weekend - nope, I didn’t stop for pictures, that’d ruin the surprise.

Rain, rain go away; let’s hope for a dry ride tomorrow.
See the rest of the pictures here!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get action. Seize the moment. Man was never intended to become an oyster.

5/09/2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home