Sunday, June 11, 2023

June 9 2023 Day Seven

June 9th – Bushnell FL – Day 7

 

In Bushnell Florida and it’s hot and humid in these parts. Today’s ride was a bit of dodging the rain, but never did hit a downpour that I had to gear up for, more on that coming. I didn’t get an early start, but didn’t get a late start either since today’s trip was telling me about 8 hrs and 40 minutes. According to Hermie leaving before 8 would put me into the rush hour traffic around Charlotte so shot for an 8:30 or later start, got going at 8:45 so that pretty much spit my earliest and latest start. I really wish I would’ve had more time to get together with the co-workers I had in Charlotte, but I’m sure there will be other trips to Hickory to visit Hermie, Lisa and family.

 

It was a pretty quick trip around Charlotte and what do you know, I pass the South Carolina border and thought about pulling over to take off the helmet (SC a no helmet state), but figured I was flying down the road since it was freeway that I might as well go a bit further before I would stop. It wasn’t too far and I was in need to gas so pulled over to fill up and a good time to lose the helmet. On the road again and it feels so much better with the cool wind blowing thru my hair or should I say over my bald shaven head that I definitely prefer riding without instead of with. It wasn’t long and I did have to make another stop around Savannah because it started to rain so I pulled under and overpass to stay try and check the weather and sure enough it’ll be gone in a few minutes. Well, it also turned out to be a good stop since I was just about the cross the Georgia border so would need the helmet yet again. Fortunately, it was a short stop because the rain did stop and things dried out pretty quick. There may have a few spots with a little rain, but nothing that needed rain gear for.

 

At least I’m riding freeway speeds that it was a short ride thru Georgia and into Florida that this time I’m stopping right way to get rid of the helmet. Not only to get rid of the helmet, but time to pack the jacket and put on enough sunscreen to keep me from burning. It is sure hot in Florida and it’s not only the heat, but the humidity that will get you. It was as different trip thru the Florida roads because I was no longer on the freeway, but cutting across Florida from East to Southwest before I’d see another freeway for a while. It was sometime before Gainesville that I did pull over to put the leather jacket back on because it had gotten cold, yeah cold believe it or not in Florida and it looked like rain ahead that we’ll see how far I get before I have to stop to put on rain the gear, because it didn’t look to promising in front of me staying dry so I’ll just keep riding. And what do you know, just riding was the thing to do because while going thru Gainesville I had just missed one thunderstorm and only had a little road spray to deal with, boots up on the crash bar to stay dry and the next thunderstorm was coming in hard behind me. Another day that I couldn’t have timed things any better to avoid getting wet. 

 

Well, it wasn’t too far past Gainesville either that I was back on the interstate, but no way was I running freeway speeds. A Friday afternoon on the speedway to Tampa and it turned out to be more stop and go traffic than speedway traffic. Fortunately, or unfortunately it heated up again that I did get rid of the jacket after dodging the rain that I might was well make a gas stop because since I’m heading to a place called Bushnell, no telling weather they have gas or not.

 

I did pull into the reservation, or I should say where the graduation party was going to be, that it was already full of people with campers around so all I have to do now is figure out sleeping arrangements, which camper I’ll be in where I can find a wash cloth and towel for my much needed shower and I could sure use a beer right about now. Ok, this is a graduation party for Shelley’s nephew and again, this is a large piece of land with a nice house on it, a number of sheds and just for the weekend trailers to hold the family members for the weekend. It happens to be Jimmy’s (the graduates) great grandparents that live here and run the show. They get around great for their age and love to entertain. A large house with a porch built almost around the entire house to keep bugs out, but it sure didn’t keep the heat and humidity out. Sometimes you had to seek shelter for cooler surroundings. Ok, time to party and no internet service right now that I can wait awhile before a write my stories for the days, but already day nine that I have some catchup to do. Stay tune for more on the graduation partying for the weekend. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home