Thursday, July 27, 2006

Lake Superior, July 26th and 80 Days

I’m surprised where I ended up, but it’s one of my favorite bars, Old Chicago and the one in Eagan…boy how the miles just fly. It’s probably a good thing too cuz if I ended up in Duluth which was what I was shooting for, who knows how tomorrow would have turned out cuz I might’ve gone in search for that closure that I deserve…oh well, like I keep saying, everything happens for a reason that I’m within 5 miles of home. Had to stop to get something to eat since have been on the road for almost 12 hours, that I couldn’t think of a place that I have more fun at on a Friday night than this…oh yea, it’s only Wednesday – ok the place that I have more fun at on a Wednesday night. Today started out as a wet one as you can tell by the picture leaving the hotel so I didn’t get any shots of the ride for you to enjoy, but even in the rain, it was a beautiful ride. I do get into riding in the rain though, cuz I’m doing something that many don’t, you know those fair weather bikers that unless it’s sunny and rain free, you’d never see them on the roads. Well the day got off to a good start cuz actually got up early to work on yesterday’s blog only for the power to go out and being in the dark…ok, so sometimes yea, I might be in the dark, but not too often. Figured it’s a good time to catch that continental breakfast that I paid for and pack the bike and maybe the electricity’d be on in time for me to shower and sure enough, just before I needed to shave, power.

It’s a little easier putting on the rain gear from the get go before getting wet, so strapped it on to get ready to go…sure wish I would’ve filled up with fuel the night before when it wasn’t raining, cuz remember, most of the gas stations in Canada don’t have an over hang. Got gassed up without getting too wet and it was time to ride in the rain. Like I was saying don’t mind riding in the rain and it was pretty comfortable except for the slow vehicles and all the road spray that I had to pass and most seemed to be U-Hauls…just give me a passing lane and I’ll be happy. It’s a whole other world riding a bike in the rain, but something that definitely keeps you on your toes cuz you never know what might jump out in front of you or how well the tires’ll hold in the curves, but did really have a great time and was deep into thought…thought about where I might end up tonight and plans for tomorrow…ok, sometimes you do have to plan things, but I can tell you right now, tomorrow won’t be according to any plan any more. Hit some dry weather and just in time to check out Canada’s longest suspension bridge. The entire walk’ll take about 20 minutes and although it was 14 bucks, Canadian, it was pretty cool. It was actually more fun with people on it cuz it’d sway with everyone walking across it that added that sense of adventure. Did ask a couple once over the river below whether it was deep enough incase I jumped, but I can’t imagine anyone thinking about doing that, except for a psycho or stunt man…hey, that might be a good career for me to keep this adrenaline rush going – stunts. Once done with the walking trail hit the bike trail and a good thing I put the rain gear back on cuz I’ll swear, the only place it’s raining along the way is Hwy 17 cuz the canyon was dry, but 4 kilometers toward the lake and it was rain…you know the kind, ‘fallin, right out of the blue sky’ country song, July 22nd.

Ok, no more pictures until hit Thunder Bay, but had to wait with most until I hit the border which was dry and looked like a dry ride south. Was taking pictures of the border only to get yelled at by the US border patrol not to take any pictures of the buildings because they are federal property…well, a little late, but aren’t all the buildings in Washington DC federal and they’ll let us take their pictures? Once across the border that much closer to home and hey, I know this route, have taken it a number of times and it is one of the rides I’ll do at least once if not twice a year, especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors…ok, another one of those things which are more fun to share. Anyway, stopped at the visitor’s center to ask about the National Park in Minnesota cuz I shouldn’t be like some of the national parks I’ve visited where someone who lives next door has never visited. Well, Voyageur was a few hours out of the way, that if I want to make Duluth today, should save it for some other time, which is just what I’m gonna do; Did have to check out the Grand Portage National Monument since it has to do with fur trading and know a family; big into it, but didn’t tour the entire thing…got some great pictures though and it looks a little newer than it otherwise might be from the times. Well, you can see the north shore of Lake Superior is definitely worth seeing and made it into Duluth in pretty good time…now just as long as I can find a room, I’ll be a happy camper and went to the hotel which has always come thru for me, and stories… this’d be the place for them – the Hawthorne Inn. They happened to have one room left and it was their most expensive that although it’s normally $340, they’ll give it to me for $220, well for just me, can’t see paying that kind of money, so’ll save it for the return visit…same one as the others, when I get to share. Did have them put my name down incase anyone cancels which has landed me rooms there before…yea, and the stories. Had to check out the rest of the Canal hotels only to get the same story, booked for the night. Ok, what to do, cuz if I stay here, will have to take the scenic trail thru Wisconsin which might not be such a good idea….that’s the closure thing, or head home which is just about 3 hours away…well, from where I ended up tonight, you might have figured it out and it’s probably a good thing all around – home in plenty of time to get ready for Sturgis and have to let bygones be bygones…is that like water under the bridge?

Ok, a quick recap 26,000 miles in 80 days and 7126 pictures later…yep, like taking a lot of pictures, but with digital it’s not too hard to do, and I’m home. Had a great time and still have another week to spend on the bike, Sturgis which will cover North and South Dakota…will also hit some of the other states I’ve already visited, but the sides I missed – east. Am looking forward to Sturgis – not as much as in years past, but for those who know me, I’ll have fun or make fun out of just about anything I do. Since I am home, will be offline for a few days working on preparing for my Sturgis trip which will be the finish to traveling the country. Will eventually write about the preparation for the trip and this year to complete the ride around the country, will be riding the bike to Sturgis instead of trailering it...yea, it might be on the trailer home, but at that point, even I deserve a break. Oh, and the other reason I didn’t hang around and spend the night in Duluth although I got a call about 30 miles down the road about an opening, have never spent a night in Duluth alone that I’ll consider to look forward to sharing the experience. Lake Superior Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home