Friday, July 21, 2006

Meadville Pennsylvania, July 20th

Applebee’s in Meadville Pennsylvania and the reason I ended up here is because of the rain. Just south of Eerie and was shooting to at least make Buffalo, which I suppose if I would’ve rode the rain out might have made, but someone was telling me their girlfriend said it was worse north…more on that later. Right now I’m laughing how some couples go out and do the same thing in a bar that they probably do at home. The guy next to me is reading the paper while his wife smokes and I think they’ve said a few words to each other deciding what each was going to order…oh well, if that trips your trigger, but my idea would be as long as your going out, make the most of it, have fun and leave the paper at home – and the cigarettes too. For the second time today have heard people talking about the smoking band going into affect soon for this state not allowing smoking in the bars…great move I think, but I know some don’t agree. Also heard an advertisement for the Washington Post’s top story about a leading hotel chain eliminating smoking rooms altogether and how soon the other chains’ll follow…again, great move I think, but I know some don’t agree.

First off, a big thanks to Mary Ellen for putting me up for a few days not knowing me from Adam…you, know Adam that visited Ann in Seattle? I really appreciated them taking me in on the word of their friends that I’m a nice guy, but it just goes to show what kind of people they are, willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that they are decent people if they have common friends. It was funny though, that one of Mary Ellen’s questions to George was whether I’d kill her in her sleep. That’s where I had to tell her the story of my friend Chris, remember him from the Wausau group in Yellowstone, and how when we were at the Harley Davidson’s 100th anniversary party in Milwaukee, I was staying with a friend, but since his bike broke down had to ask my buddy if it was ok if he stayed too…same question, I don’t know, is he going to kill me in my sleep? Well, after they met and talked they had friends in common that yea; I think you can trust that he won’t kill you in your sleep. Hey, that couple said a few more words to each other…who’s paying the bill.

Today was about the ride and making sure I hit West Virginia, which looking at the print out from Map Quest should catch a corner of, but a good thing I asked on my first gas stop. Well, didn’t ask specifically whether I’d hit it or not, but asked how far up the road West Virginia was only to find out the road I was on wasn’t going to get me there. The lady at the gas station pulled out a state map and showed how I would just miss it, so suggested a better road to ride, the National Freeway. A freeway that runs 116 miles from Hancock Maryland to Morgantown West Virginia thru the Appalachian Corridor “E” and what a great ride. Ok, she didn’t know that and neither did I…looked it up on the internet. Knew the road I was riding was called the National Freeway or something like that, that sure enough, I-68 was it. Figured I’d wait until getting to West Virginia to have something to eat and there’s a lot of Maryland to drive thru before getting to the border, but did get a picture, the state sign. There were a few times I slowed down thinking the sign for the state was coming up, but hey, they were Maryland signs showing what kind of animals they have in the area and to watch out for them…no, not deer, but some other kinda animals. Once in West Virginia, noticed a sign for a Harley dealer…yea, imagine that, and figured they’d have some good suggestions on where to eat as well as roads I might consider riding instead of the freeway. Well, Andrew and Rochelle were great help, maybe not Andrew as much since the first thing he said to me was don’t ask me, but that’s because he was sitting at the performance booth, ya know, where you can pump up your bike, but wasn’t the person to ask…on performance that is. Well, they were both great help and pointed out some back roads, but most were outta the way I was heading that the freeway’ll probably be my best bet…oh, and for a place to eat, their only suggestions were the same kind of places we have back home, Ruby Tuesdays, Wendy’s, Burger King, etc…I’m looking for a hole in the wall with great food like the green chili cheeseburger I told them about in New Mexico. Anyway, the free popcorn at the dealership and a Blizzard at a local Dairy Queen did the trick…hey, it’s pretty hot that a guy deserves a treat now and than. Oh and for my story about the Dairy Queen, pulled my bike into a spot to share with another bike and gave him plenty of room to back out…some guy on Gold Wing. Well, he came in and asked me to move my bike so he could back out. What the hell, you can’t back your bike outta there with the room I gave you? No I didn’t say that, just thought it. He had an excuse that there might be loose gravel or since his bike is heavy he didn’t want it tipping into mine. Ok, so I went out, in the middle of my Blizzard and backed my bike out, and what’dya know, no loose gravel and then I thought, my bike might be heavier than yours, that is until the fat cow with him got on…I know, not very nice, but he could’ve backed it out before she got on and not worry about how heavy the bike was…and no, with her on his bike, it’s definitely heavier than mine…ok, not very nice, but I just say it how I saw it.

Back on the road, heading north…remember, I’m the young man heading north? Well, was making pretty good time with freeway riding and got past Pittsburgh, only to have the weather look questionable and sure enough, started hitting sprinkles. The other thing is I’m in need of gas that as soon as the next exit with gas comes along, it’ll be a good stop to pull under an overhang, get gas and put on the rain gear, and wouldn’t you know it; the exit I took just as I was running out of gas had a little gas station which wasn’t marked very well. There I am sitting at the intersection, getting wet, wondering which way of six roads should I take that had to flag down someone and ask. Oh, just off to the left and you’ll see the entrance that that’s what I did, but couldn’t find a gas station…oh, in this case, a gas station with an overhang. Now how many gas stations do you see now a days that don’t have an over hang? Well, pulled into the station and not only don’t they have an overhang, but no premium gas, well, at this point I have no choice that threw on the rain gear and pumped the gas myself to get back on the road. Yea, it was a full service, but the guy said they don’t pump gas for bikes or expensive cars…well, how many expensive cars pull into this station? Anyway, asked that guy whose girlfriend said the weather was worse north, where to find a hotel that he pointed me out to this place, Meadville, just 7 miles up the road, so here I am. Even though the weather was starting to clear, sounded as though it was still bad north, that might as well call it a night so, again, that’s how I’m here…about 2 hours from Niagara Falls. Tomorrow the falls and we’ll see what O’Canada connections I can hook up with. West Virginia Pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

r u sayin he was packin a Colby gal?

7/21/2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home