Thursday, July 13, 2006

Martha's Vineyard

The Chatham Squire and it’s a place that Adam suggested I visit because Chatham is a place worth visiting. Might have been able to get better pictures if it were light out, but with as long as it took to do Martha’s Vineyard, have to settle with what you get. Ok, so today was a day to see as much of the Cape and islands as I could and found out no way to visit both islands, especially with a vehicle in one day so time to make a decision, which one to visit. Well, the only thing to do at that point is ask someone from the area what they would do and according to Adam, Kristy and even the ferry service, you have to do Martha’s Vineyard if going by bike…and the other thing, kinda like Seattle, bikes get priority. So to see a little of the Cape as well as island I might as well take one of the scenic roads on the Cape and when stopped to ask for directions to make sure I’m going the right way, the lady helping me out said 6A was one of the top 10 most scenic roads to drive…at least that’s what I think she said, but maybe she was talking 10 busiest traveled because I’ve seen better roads for scenery and none of them with the stops that they have here – I’ll give it the top 10 busiest roads traveled. That had me thinking, I wonder how much work people get done around here because they seem to spend more time driving and you have to have a lot of patience to drive these roads with the number of stop lights and just the traffic itself.

So a trip that would have taken an hour and a half by the main road takes me two and half to three to finally get to the ferry dock, but hey, just in time for the 1:30 ferry. No luck though, the guys said I wouldn’t be happy with an open ferry because of the salt on the bike that I should wait an hour for the 2:30 enclosed ferry…ok, they must know what they’re talking about that I’ll just find a nice little place to have lunch before heading to the island which is just what I did. Had a great burger at Leeside Bar and Grill and hey check it out, they even have Pabst on tap, not something you see too often except for those places that appreciate a good Wisconsin beer. The ferry ride was only an hour which isn’t as bad as the 2 hour trip I’ve heard, but for $65 roundtrip, it better be faster than two hours. The roads around the island were great riding and although there are four lighthouses on the island, only made it to 2, yep, got lost a few times and you’d think that the map and roads would be pretty straight forward, but no way…hey, if the locals can’t figure it out when I ask for directions then something’s screwed up…must be the map matching the roads. Anyway, the weather wasn’t the greatest either, but it was something seeing the fog blowing across the island the way it does, feels like you’re walking thru the clouds, guess if you think about it, that’s just what you’re doing. Came to a point on the island where the only way to get to the other side without having to drive all the way around is to take a bike ferry…perfect, I’m on a bike so I should be able to cross that short crossing on the ferry, right? wrong. It’s only for bicycles and tried talking Clayton into doing a trip just for me with my bike and almost got on, ok, so would have had to talk to the Coast guard and his boss, but you know me, it never hurts to ask. Well, in this case made an exception when he pointed out the ramp and that it couldn’t even hold his weight. The thing busted loose a few weeks ago that he ended up in the water that the only thing holding it now was rope, which sorry, not going to take an 800lb bike over that and take the chance of it ending up in the water. Did get the bike out on the dock where it’s not suppose to be though, but you know, that bike seems to have a mind of it’s own and is going to take me places we shouldn’t be. Did get some great shots of the lighthouse at Gay Head, but that’s only because the sign dared me and can fit between the fence…sure it keeps some out, but not me.

Ok, so even though the roads on the island are great riding, not sure it’s worth the $65 ferry ride. My return trip to this island will be sharing it with someone and then I’ll spend the time on the island that’s suppose to be spent, seeing the 3 major towns shopping, but today was about the ride. Yep, got a picture of more chicks along the way, but hey, they asked me to take a picture for them that why not put it on my blog so the world can see… great pose by Emily, Julia and Ana and I wonder if one of them actually posed for the artist – also figured the artist to be male since most of the sculptures were of women…that’d make sense, wouldn’t it? Time to head back to the dock for a return trip to the cape that saw one more lighthouse and the weather wasn’t as bad. The lighthouses aren’t like some I’ve seen, like on the great lakes, but still impressive. Made it back to the dock in plenty of time only to find out wrong dock and no enclosed ferry, the company with the enclosed ferry is out of the other dock about 10 minutes away…ok, I have 13 minutes to do that so what’dya think, go for it or wait over an hour…you got it, might as well wait and have something to eat…wrong, took my chances and made it just in time.

That brings me here, the Squire and what to have for dinner. Well, thanks to Ellen and Kerry I let them decide what I should have on my only visit in town and it was a great meal, lobster bisque which is a soup and the steamers. Yep, steamed clams that if you’ll notice I get a bowl of water and butter and it’s because after you get the meat out of the shell and peel the skin off from it, you have to dip it in the hot water to wash the sand off – doesn’t always work cuz did get a little sand, but they were great and I’ll definitely have those again sometime soon. Tonight Karaoke night and met Katie, Melissa and Nancy who are vacationing on the cape for the summer…must be nice, but have to show up for karaoke, ok, ladies, let’s see you sing. Also talked to Rod, ok, probably should have gotten a picture, but he helped me out with suggestions of things to see on my way to New York tomorrow. Big Apple, here I come. Am still in awe with that tour Ray gave me of the USS Constitution and will definitely look him up if ever back there, he was not only full of knowledge on the history of the ship, but very enthusiastic to tell the story. Oh, the other thing, got thru the tunnel in Boston, ‘The Big Dig’ just in time because part of the roof collapsed and killed someone in a vehicle…I was thru the same place a couple hours earlier and can you imagine if that would have hit a bike? well, let’s not think about that. Martha's Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home