Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Eastham Massachusetts, July 10th - Full Moon

Eastham Massachusetts on Cape Cod and although it was dark when I got here, you can hear the waves of the ocean in the distance…well, in this case the bayside since that’s the side we’re on. Adam and Kristy, remember them from Tamworth? are playing host and it’s greatly appreciated having a bed to sleep in after my long day of site seeing. Today I was a tourist and it’s a good thing I got an early start for everything there was to see and I sure got to see some pretty incredible sites. Started the day out filling my tummy with a great breakfast at Roy’s just down the street from George and Sheryl, and for only $3.15 the special included eggs, sausage, American fries, toast and coffee…you can’t beat that. Thanks George and Sheryl for once again making me feel like family and putting me up for the night. Got to sleep in the kid’s room, so definitely felt like family.

Off to find some witches, remember today is a day for site seeing and since Salem is on the way to Boston better go and see what the witches of Salem look like. Made it across three state lines, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts and the traffic wasn’t bad at all, not like the rush hour I’ve seen in some other places, but that might be because I was on toll road and had to pay to stay on the road every so often. Not too spendy, but I think the most expensive stop was about $1.75, most were at least a buck and asked every time if a motorcycle was cheaper, but no luck…hey, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Stopped at the Massachusetts visitor center and a good thing I did because the guy gave me great directions to Salem and told me about a turn he had missed a few weeks ago…stay left he said even if it says ‘do not enter’ because the road you want goes to the left…he was right, but should I have doubted him any other way? Anyway found downtown Salem and the signs pointed to the visitors center and the museum that have to find out where the witches live. Found front row parking for the bike…well, maybe not front row, but free parking around the park behind another parked car so it should be safe there. Checked out the visitors center and what a small world cuz the lady helping me out asked about my Wisconsin shirt and when I told her I now live in St Paul, she said she grew up on the east side, Lake Phalen. I know some east siders and they were probably about the same age, but didn’t throw any names out, just meeting someone else from back home helped.

She got me pointed to all the sites I needed to see so of course the first one was the Salem Witch Museum which was pretty cool. They had a presentation inside the place, but pictures weren’t allowed so you’ll have to check it out yourself, but it was all about the witch trial and the 16 witches, I mean people who died as a result of it…and did you know that none of them in the America’s were burnt at the stake? that was only a Europe thing. All of them but one was hung and the one who didn’t get the hanging was crushed to death…large stones put on top of him to get him to confess until he either did that or died, well, he didn’t make it. Was also another interesting thing about ‘Swimming a Witch’. Apparently they thought a water test would prove whether a person were a witch or not by throwing them in the water and if they sank, no witch, but if they floated, definitely a witch…hey, I know some people that float really well, they must be witches. Still a lot more Salem to see so checked it out and had to go see the wharf which is suppose to be one of the oldest ones around. Well, toured the Friendship, a replica of the ships at the time and it was pretty cool, and hey check it out, I got to steer the bad boy. Well, like I said just a replica so the metal doors and fittings weren’t of the time, but pretty neat to see anyway. One of the rangers also told me that there was a lot more to Salem than just the witches, but like I told him, I still have Boston to see.

Well, the drive to Boston wasn’t a bad one at all, with those great directions from the east sider, remember the lady from Phalen? Made great time until I tried exiting out the tunnel, must have sat in stopped traffic for a good hour before getting downtown, which was right around the corner, but some lady parked in front of me was kind enough to offer me water…thanks and thanks for the directions. Once I found the place I was looking for, got the front row parking and heard the sales pitch about how the trolley is a better way to do the Freedom trail, yep, that’s what they call it, but a trail that takes you to all the important places in Boston. Almost forgot, that’s’ what the red line on the side walks in Salem was for, a tour to follow and Boston of course has the same thing. I did go on it a few years ago, but hey, as long as you’re along, will treat you to some pictures and stories. Had to start the walk out with some lunch so went to this little place I had been to before, the oldest, longest running Oyster bar in town and had great lunch of oysters and clam chowder thanks to Diallo. Met Tony, yep an Italian from Florida who was in town traveling, he owns a few restaurants in Florida so does a lot of traveling and a couple from New Orleans so had something to talk to them about since I’ve already been thru both states on this trip. Hey check it out, free front row bike parking and thanks to Diallo for keeping an eye on it for me.

Off to see what Boston has to offer and today was a hot one, but a good one for checking out he sites. Took a lot of pictures you can see and that came to haunt me later, but with digital, you can take as many as you want, right? wrong. A lot of interesting things to see along the way and one of the things I noticed is how the pews in the churches were setup like little cubicles, well, that’s because families own those and in the time to keep an eye on the children and stay warm since there wasn’t much heat, they would have cubicle like pews for the families to huddle in. Also, since the families owned them, they had to take care of them and keep them up with cleanings and whatever renovations they wanted…and the place is still an active church so some family owns this one. There are sure a lot of graves in this town and tried to get pictures of some head stones, the important ones, but didn’t walk around them too much. Ok, no trip to Boston is complete without a stop at Cheers, well at least the bar that Cheers was based off from, but what a surprise, this place is now named Cheers. For those who didn’t know, the bar on Cheers was based off the Bull & Finch Pub in Boston, but now I came to find out the owner of this place bought some rights to the name so he could change the name of the Pub…yep, he’s paying royalties just to use the name, but I bet it’s easier for people to find now.

Again, what a small world cuz Mark at the front door is from Waukesha, down by Milwaukee so we had plenty to talk about the Milwaukee iron – Harley Davidson and thanks for taking my picture with Tecumseh, sp? gotta have one of those. Of course a beer is in order so Deb poured me one and talked with a couple from Fort Worth Texas, Amity and Gregg about my travels, but they’re heading home in a few hours. Would have been great partying with you more and Amity, I could have really used your camera…same as mine, but without the problems which would help. Oh well, had still a lot more to see so I better hit the road…I mean trail. Ok, a few more pictures, but look where I end up, back at the same place I started, well, the trail goes right by there and I have the other half to do, so have to stop in and wouldn’t you know it, Tony is still there, but now we have a couple of good lookin Canadians in our presence, Kristy and Maggie from Toronto…maybe another Canadian connection. They’re in town for the Madonna concert so had to have a drink with them and they have an interesting way to doing shots of Vodka, they add it to their oysters…that sounds tasty, but I’ll just try the Tequila…you know the stuff, it makes your cloths fall off? Oh, and can’t forget about the 7 pound lobster – have heard that for every pound a lobster is 10 years old, some ones gonna have a tasty 70 year old.

Back on the trail and still a lot more to see, and what’dya know, more graves. Ok, the picture of the cows is something that Amity was telling me about all the cows around town and they eventually auction them off at the end of the ‘cow season’, kinda like the Snoopy and Charlie Brown thing we had in the cities a few years ago. Anyway, got to see some more great historical places, but nothings gonna top what happened to me when I got to the USS Constitution, “Old Ironsides”. My timing wasn’t the greatest since the tours were closed and figure I was just late, but came to find out that it’s not open for tours on Monday. Tried working the lady in uniform to let me in, but no doing and even if I were to step over the chain, she’d have to call the MP’s…I sure don’t need to get arrested on this trip. Well did some more talking and even got the Admiral Tim, well he was dressed like an Admiral, out of the office and told him my story and that I was only in town for the day…that is true, have to be to the cape tonight. Well, he did me a favor and called the head guy out, Rob and once again I told him my story that if I could just have a picture taken on the deck and leave, that’d be all I need. Ok, so he did one better and had Ray give me the tour and I’ll tell you, when I got done with that tour I was absolutely amazed. Ray did a great job telling me all the history of the thing and even gave me a tour that no one else gets to see, the 15% of the original ship which is all below the waterline. I cannot tell you how awesome a tour this was and thanks to all who made it possible…sorry you don’t get to see all the pictures because some of them are classified and top secret…not really, but that’s where more problems with the battery and this time a full memory card. Tried frantically to delete some pictures to take more, but no luck, so some of what I saw was for my eyes only, but it was amazing…thanks much Ray. There are too many stories to tell and Ray did a great job filling me with all kinds of info, but you really have to do the tour to appreciate it. One of the things I though was really interesting below, was the gun powder room completed coated in copper to keep moisture out and a spark from setting it off…again a room which no one else gets to see on the tour, but I tried getting a picture. Ok, did you know why they call the bathroom on a boat the head? cuz it was at the head of the ship and there was nothing below except for the front of the boat…the waves against the boat would clean it out – wonder if that’s where the idea for a bidet came from? Again, an unbelievable tour and it never hurts to ask, but if you treat people with kindness and respect, you’ll get the same in return…reminds me of something from Salem, for everything good you do, you’ll be rewarded with the same returned threefold…makes you think about how you treat people. What’s that other saying, ‘Treat people the way you want to be treated’?

Ok, gotta get to the cape, but on my way back went thru little Italy, that I might as well eat so found this little place, Baccu’s with Carsen sitting out front…hey, this must be the place to eat. Had a great Italian meal and made great time to the Cape since missed rush hour. Let’s see what kind of adventures tomorrow brings and it’ll be hard to top today. Salem & Boston Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home