Friday, July 07, 2006

Mount Chocorua, July 6th

Day 60 and didn’t do any riding today, nope, these boots were made for walking…you know the song, by Nancy Sinatra? yep, Frank’s daughter. See that mountain in the distance? Mount Chocorua 7 miles from the house and today was a day to climb the bad boy. Drove to the trail head and although the hike was only about 4 miles one way, figured it to be a 5 hour trip. Ok, this was one of my first hiking experiences so thanks to those who have hiked before for making arrangements…sandwiches, snacks and plenty of water. We could have done better with the water because ran out on the way down and was pretty thirsty before reaching the cars, but no one passed out. Taylor did a great job, youngest of the group leading the way…ok, I did carry here for a ways, but it was maybe a minutes worth uphill and didn’t want to trip because she was definitely heavier than a back pack that Jeff and Adam were carrying.

What a great experience and workout. Though that going up was going to be the hardest, but it’s just as much work coming down. Took the Brook trail on the way up which is suppose to be one of the hardest to climb and made it in about 3 hours, can see from the pictures just how close you think you are, but still have a ways to climb. Made it to the trail markers and only have .3 miles to go, but someone told us it would still take over 10 minutes, sure did cuz it was the steepest part of the climb, but once on the top, oh what a view. There were quite a few people up and that crazy lady doing her dance wanted to follow us down since she thought we knew where we were going…I wonder if that’s really the reason she wanted to follow me, but they were doing a different trail so gotta go your own way. Since we had successfully reached the summit, time to have something to eat and relax before climbing down…oh and the other thing was the bugs and heat on the way up, worked up a pretty good sweat, but you know the saying, ‘No pain, No gain’, well in this case No pain would mean you don’t get to see the view. Made it and have a picture of the geological marker to prove it…yea, I suppose someone else could’ve taken the picture, but than how do you think it made it onto my computer and attached to this blog…it is my picture and have a picture of the group and me at the top to prove it, thanks to Holly.

Heard part of the legend at the top was the mountain was named after an Indian Chief who had jumped, so of course I had to ask the question, ‘do you think they’d change the name of the mountain to mine if I jumped’? Well, got a quick no and that’s because I’m not a chief and found out that the Indian chief survived because he turned into an eagle when he jumped…don’t think I could have pulled that one off. There’s more to the story, but you can check it out yourself if interested.

Ok, so going down has to be a lot easier than going up and took an easier trail down, the Liberty trail. Well, there’s no getting down being easier than climbing, true didn’t work up as much of a sweat, but for as rocky as it was, had to really watch your footing and since the quads hurt on the way up, it was the knees that took a beating on the way down…I think the bodies going to feel it tomorrow, but hey I haven’t have a good workout for a while now…just my 80mph workout down the highway – still working on the workout video.

Finally made the bottom and back to the house to quench the thirst with a few beers…I’m sure that’ll do it. By the way, happy 38th anniversary to George and Cheryl, George, Tracy and Christy’s parents and got a picture of Hanna, Chris and Tracy’s daughter who I had missed the photo opportunity for yesterday…isn’t she a cutie.

Today’s lesson, do as much hiking and climbing to see some of these sites while you still have your health because the views are spectacular. For those who can’t do them…well, no such thing as “can’t” in my book, but, I’ll capture as many pictures of what you might otherwise see as I can, and I’m going to definitely make arrangements to go and visit all those other places I’ve talked about visiting, especially while I’m young and healthy. Tomorrow a little more R&R with some swimming, kayaking and golf…time for me to catch up on the missed workouts. Mountain Pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome hike Dale! Yup, I'm thinkin' it's more work coming down then it is going up. Love all the pics....makes me feel like I'm there with ya.
Mel

7/07/2006 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home