Friday, June 30, 2006

Kalispell Montana

Kalispell Montana and today was all about riding with some great scenery along the way. Not too often making plans on being somewhere by a certain time, but since this week I am, figured I better get as close to Glacier National Park as I can. Plan is to meet the Wausau crew, yep curlers and the same group we rode with last year in the Tomahawk rally, at Yellowstone Tuesday night that means put the miles behind me somewhere. Had to plan my leaving this morning according to the ferry schedule and when I looked at it last night thought I’d shoot for he 9:20 and made it with time to spare. The ferry ride didn’t help since it’s about a 45 minute ride, but it did give me time to study the map and ask one of the crew which would be a better ride for the day to get here. Well, not only him, but others thought that might be a bit of a stretch in a day, but they don’t know how fast I drive. Ok, finally off the ferry and decided would head north a short way on the interstate and take the scenic route. Glad I did to, except for the rush hour around Seattle, but once out of town and in front of the slow people had a great ride. It was also fortunate I took Highway 2 because look who I got to meet, Jill (aka, Flo) and her daughter Lauren who makes a hell of a shake…it was great. You can see Jill was ready to have her picture taken cuz just after I shot the picture of the restaurant, the door flies open and she poses…like the spirit. Had a great time visiting with her and Lauren and if you ever get thru those parts, make sure you stop in and ask for a shake from Lauren…killer shake.

Went thru three states today, Washington, Idaho and Montana and they all had a little something different to offer. Crossed the Johnson pass in Washington and although saw signs and lanes for adding or taking off chains, didn’t think the pass was that bad…steep in comparison to others, but that might be because some of the other passes I’ve already gone thru are closed during the winter and this one is open – what thinking on my part, right? That’d be the only thing I’d think since the others had signs whether the pass was open or not, so it works for me…and can work for you. On the way over the pass came to a stop where they were moving a trailer home under a bridge, had to deflate the tires so it’d make it and again, timing was everything since I had stopped for lunch, only had about a 5 minute wait. Went to the front of the line since on bike…not the thing to do here, but jawed it up with the lady holding the stop/slow sign and told her I needed to get in front of all these slow people which she was more than willing to help me with. Asked how far to Spokane since that was the first destination before heading here and whether to take Hwy 2 all the way, but she thought I might not make it if I didn’t get on the freeway, but again she doesn’t know how fast I drive. Over the pass and the east side of Washington is completely different since its high desert, but again, the weather is perfect so it made for great riding.

Getting to Spokane wasn’t bad at all and soon I found freedom…made it to a state where I could get rid of the helmet and a good thing too since my head hasn’t seen the sun on the bike since getting to California a few weeks ago. California, Oregon and Washington all have mandatory helmet laws so was looking forward to heading east, not only toward home, but could get rid of the helmet…yea, I know should probably wear one, but the way I look at it maybe take more chances with one on because you think you’re safer, right? Just go with me on that. Another pan handle too, Idaho’s and it was a nice ride along the river…don’t know the name and ain’t gonna look it up right now, but hopefully the pictures show some of it. Yep, another problem with the camera, now the display doesn’t work very well so can’t see what I’m taking a picture of and’ll just hope pointed it in the right direction. If it’s not one thing with that camera it’s another, but again, they’re not built for this kind of abuse…remember the good old days when they’d build something to last? Well, getting thru Idaho didn’t take long, but before I made it to the Montana border hooked up with Maureen who was riding the same way as me. She was going to Libby, which hey, I’m going right thru there so we might as well ride together. She left her husband behind since he rides something other than a Harley, so, that works for me…not the real reason, but she was on her way to Libby to meet a girlfriend and for work; she’s in the construction estimating business. Saw one deer on the way and when I left for Kalispell, she told me to watch for the deer which was a good thing, the roads were crawling with them. Only ran into one on the road, ok, didn’t hit it, but saw it that had to slow down so it could decide which way to go before I did, but you get the idea. Once again I’ve gone thru some of the Rockies and the ride thru Montana was along a river which reminded me a lot of highway 35 thru Wisconsin with the bluffs on the left and the river on the right, felt like I was home doing the great river ride, but the smells here are quite different…all the pine around and if I could only create that picture and smell thing I’d be rich…will have to work on that one.

Close to Kalispell and was desperate for gas that when I came upon a gas pump, made the stop and it was a campground that I thought maybe I’d stay at. Well, when asked about a restaurant in the area still serving, too late, not a problem though because according to them Kalispell is a big town so the restaurants’ll be open late and should be able to get a room cheap. Asked about just crashing on a park picnic table, but they said the cops are looking for something to do and want their names in the paper that they’d probably arrest me…ok, Motel6 works, but hey, none of the restaurants or bars are still serving food, only Finnegan’s, which is just like a Denny’s, I knew there was something about the big city I liked - being able to eat almost anytime anywhere you want. Ok, so the one thing I don’t get, the hotels are full this time of year because of the tourists, but the restaurants haven’t gotten on board. Do they realize how much money they could make if they just stayed open past 10:00? Oh, and before I forget, thanks again too Ann, who didn’t know me from Adam before I showed up, but was a great hostess. It’s not only being blessed with the great friends I have, but meeting new ones who are as good to me as they are…thank you and thanks for making this a memorable trip. That brings me to today lesson which came from Ann, glad you joined me yesterday and it was great talking to you since our situations are somewhat similar, the lesson is from Helen Keller and its:
When one door of happiness closes, another opens;
But often we look so long at the closed door
That we do not see the one which has been
opened for us.
Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home