Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National park and what a beautiful place to see in the middle of California. But, before I get to that, how about my ride and adventures there? Well, the first part of the trip was pretty easy over the Richmond bridge to Oakland and filled up with gas before leaving this morning, but wouldn’t you know it, pretty close to running out of gas again…didn’t though, notice the guy with the gas can? Well, that’s Scott and although my tank wasn’t completely dry, I figured there’s no way I’m getting to the top of the hill since the thing started to sputter. Turned around and headed down the hill where these guys were working and asked if they had any gas, Scott said they had just used the last half gallon on the water pump, but wouldn’t you know it, just a little left in the can. Didn’t think it’d take much to go the 5 miles the one guy said it was to the top, but I don’t think he took the curves into affect, maybe 5 miles the way the crow flies, but a hell of a lot farther around the 10-20mph curves. Well, the thing snorted for gas a couple of times toward the top, but the left curves definitely helped…gas line on that side so if I can just keep leaning left, should make it…just in time, a gas station. Ok, so didn’t run out of gas, but sure would’ve if it weren’t for a little help.

After filling up, Scott had told me about a little café at the other end of town that was worth eating at, so made a stop at Big Oak…wouldn’t you know it, just as Sarah was walking in, that’s pretty good timing. Had to ask if it was a good place to eat cuz some guy just told me about a little café and according to her, this must be the place, well if she can eat there than I can too. The place was full and Nellie was trying to find a couple of tables for two singles, but I told her if she didn’t mind, Sarah that is, maybe we could dirty one table, well, only thing open was the bar and for me, that’s been my normal - sitting at the bar by myself having something to eat…poor, poor, pitiful me. This time I had company and had a very nice talk with Sarah about the trip, relationships and life in general. Told her I’ve learned a lot on this trip how everything happens for a reason and instead of getting upset or pissed off about it, you just figure out the best way to deal with the situation and make the most of it, it’ll all work out the way it should. Also told her that of all the people that I’ve met along the way, we are all very much alike, I’m not talking whether nice or not, but all looking for the same thing in life, happiness which we have to find within first. Well, ok I have met a lot of great people and everyone is helpful and does want to help, but I guess like I told her, it might be that small town thing. More talking and found out she had just had her first bike ride a week ago on a Harley and loved it, there it is again, something about women and their love for Harley’s, sure it’s not us guys who ride them – hell, you know better than that. The other thing, she’s an office manager doing the paper work for the guys at the water plant…what a small world, sounds like another small town girl I know, wonder how she’s doin? Anyway, Nellie was also our server and what a fireball, full of energy and loved talking - notice her halo? Well, all in all a very good lunch and great company visiting with Sarah and Nellie, thanks to both of you and Nellie, the colored words 'Yosemite Pictures' at the bottom of the blog will take you to the pictures, if you need more instructions, just send me an email and I’ll give you step-by-step.

Ok, onto Yosemite and hey, check it out, the oldest established bar in California. Now that I have Texas and California out of the way, will have to make another trip for that, the oldest bar in every state….yea, we’ll see when I can fit that trip in. Made it to the park and this time I got to play in the California snow in a t-shirt of all things. The temps over the pass were great and although I had to start out from San Francisco, or Mill Valley to be exact, with a jacket, didn’t need it once over the mountains inland. And wouldn’t you know it, Tioga pass had just opened a few weeks ago, another example of great timing, remember the Independence pass, you know, Colorado, May 30th…boy that seems like ages ago already. Anyway, this pass is just as awesome and had some even better scenery, not only mountain waterfalls and rivers which the Rockies had, but some beautiful lakes, just look at the pictures. These lakes look spectacular in real life too, and trust me, the water is cold…had to check it out, no – no skinny dipping or swimming, but just dip your hand and you’ll know what I mean. Anyway, the height of this pass at 9945 feet might be pretty close to the Rockies or at least Pikes Peak which was around 9000 feet I think…will have to check that out on the internet. Got to see both sides of the pass and it really makes a difference going back the way you came on the same road, the view is totally different and much of what I saw the first time thru not only didn’t recognize the second time through, but saw things I missed the first time. Was looking for looping roads thru the park so didn’t have to take the same road, but now I know why you don’t need a loop, or maybe a better example, that’s why every year in Sturgis we try to figure out what direction we went the last time, so we can take it the other way this…a different view.

Ok, not only was the pass great, both ways, but had to make a trip to the valley and more unbelievable sights. The river was running wild and some of the valley road was washed out because of flooding and for as strong as the currents had been. Oh well, got to see the largest waterfall in the park anyway…check it out, the Bridal veil fall and for me, the largest I’ve seen up close. Yea have seen many pictures of big ones, but never stood at the bottom of one and gotten rained on…you might notice that in one of the pictures. Just what the camera needs, a little water to wash the sand from New Mexico away, maybe that’s why it’s not always working to plan. Oh well, more great riding thru the park and after seeing it all, time to head toward San Francisco, still an almost 3 hour trip and tried to cut that time until a State trooper pulled up next to me at 80mph on the freeway and told me to slow it down a little, ok, 78? Guess where I ended up writing this – yep, the same place I’ve been the last 2 nights, D’Angelo’s and still working on that British accent. Tomorrow more sight seeing and a little relaxation. Hey George, New Hampshire by the 4th might be a little tough. Yosemite Pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,
Thought I would check in on you.
After reading a little bit see that while I am working for the man and you truely are the man.
Look me up when you get to NYC there is no walleye here but we can fing others things to do.
Dalep

6/20/2006 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home