Saturday, June 17, 2006

San Simeon, California

San Simeon California and yep, just like you, have no idea where it is except for the fact that I’m here and you’re not. The one thing I do know is the Pacific Ocean is behind me with the cliffs, the mountains are in front of me and the Hearst Castle is about 5 miles to my left, north, so I guess that means I’d be facing East – now only the smart ones would’ve figured that out right away…first clue, Pacific behind me. Got into town a little to late for the last tour of the Hearst Castle, but caught the movie of the building of it and after seeing that figured it’s worth spending the night in town and touring it tomorrow.
Ok, took longer than thought it would and that’s because had some rush hour traffic around LA and the PCH, remember, Pacific Coast Highway isn’t necessarily highway all the way. It also doesn’t always follow the coast cuz someone said just keep the Pacific to your left and you’ll be fine, well, when you can’t see the ocean, you just hope it’s still to your left. The temps change quite a bit riding the coast so made a number of stops to gear up and gear down just for that. Right along the ocean it was cool enough, yea, the sights were cool, but in this case talkin temps that had to put on a layer and once inland too hot that had to take off a layer…no skinny dipping here. Well, guess the beaches are warm enough and the water isn’t too bad, but when traveling along at 65, the temps do get a little chilly…those who ride know what I’m talkin about. The highway from Malibu to Santa Barbara is a great ride along the cliffs and ocean, but after that it was mostly country riding until got to Pismo Beach, which by the way, was packed this weekend and apparently is the place to party…they have a classic car show that I know some who would be interested in and saw some pretty interesting cars driving around. Didn’t hang around though cuz had to get north and from there to here, more great riding along the cliffs and ocean and you can imagine if the Hearst Castle is just up the road, a great view.

Marianne and EK were great hosts giving up their bed and sleeping on the air mattress in the living room for this weary traveler and also great therapists. Yea, I know what I have to do and it’s always easier said than done, but like I’ve always said, everything happens for a reason. Marianne put together a great breakfast of fresh fruits from the area to send me on my way and oh yea, she impressed EK and I by being able to get the bike off it’s kickstand. She couldn’t reach it to put it up, the kick stand that is, but that’s where you hope it goes up when you start riding…except for those bikes that won’t even let you start it with it down – probably the same bike with the airbags. Time to see how many miles can put between there and here, well, with rush hour again around LA, that meant more white lining which am really getting sick of and believe it or not longed for those hot rides thru New Mexico where could just set the cruise and cruise…hey, more rhyme so maybe I should think of a riddle, maybe later. Tried to take a number of pictures along the way and glad I decided against changing the camera mount from the right to the left cuz all you would’ve seen in most of the pictures had I changed it was mostly ocean. For those ocean views that I did think were worth it, did stop for, so feel lucky.

Ok, like I said the movie of the building of the Hearst mansion was impressive enough to stay for the tour, but I learned some things about him which I didn’t even realize. That was that although he had made a great fortune in the paper business, he was already rich to start with, ya know that silver spoon thing. His dad George actually discovered silver in this area so was wealthy beyond comprehension at 40 and his 19 year old wife, well she was 29 when took William on a tour of Europe…think about it, that’d make William 10 and very impressionable. Well, there’s more to the story than that, but one thing I remember from the movie that stuck with me was, ‘Dreams should be shared because that’s the only way dreams will live on’…they were talking about Williams dream of the castle and sharing it with all who get to visit...it still lives on – in a sense me doing this trip and sharing it with whomever cares is kind of the same thing, right? Ok, just go with me on that. Well, shacked up in another Motel 6, but this one has a restaurant and bar so Wendy, Robert and Courtney are taking good care of me and wouldn’t you know it karaoke night with some pretty interesting songs being sung…more words for my therapy. Tomorrow hopefully San Francisco and a return phone call from Dennis, he’s a tough person to get a hold of, but friends and those who care ALWAYS return the call. PCH pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home