Saturday, June 10, 2006

Yuma, Arizona

Yuma Arizona and it’s hot…the bike was reading over 110 and the bank sign was at 108 and who cares that it’s dry heat…it’s just heat. Not much to see between Phoenix and here and took another wrong turn. Well, turned off too soon and came freeway most of the way instead of another back road that someone from Ash Fork suggested…lookin at a map though, didn’t make much difference cuz there was nothing to see the other way either, just more two lane than four. By the way, thanks Brian for letting me crash at your place and too bad you had to fly back to Vegas right away the next morning, another night out would’ve been fun.

Figured since got into town early and didn’t have plans to get to San Diego until tomorrow, might as well hit Mexico and see just what the dental prices are like. Had fun with Betty and Boop, of course it’s not their real names parking the bike and thanks ladies for keeping an eye on it…and Toni, thanks for doing my laundry in the river – right. Well, the prices for getting your teeth whitened aren’t much better and the only thing most had was the light or laser system. Didn’t setup an appointment and for the rest of the work that I’d need done for straightening my teeth, if I really have that done, would have to come back for. Looks just like a small Mexican town and checkout one of the clinics, they can take care of you from head to toe, well, almost to the toes…figured as long as across the border might as well have some Mexican food which was pretty good…my usual a combination with taco, enchilada and tostada.

Back to the US and I’m sure glad I had my passport with cuz it makes things a whole lot easier. Saw some people having problems getting back in, but hey, I got past the border patrol, dogs and all. Ok, this heat is enough that all I need now is a place with AC and a pool and found something pretty reasonable…remember, this is there summer months so not a lot of people traveling or visiting this area so for $35, this place ain’t bad at all. Relaxed next to the pool and worked on my computer a little and the water felt good, even chilly once you got out of the water, but that evaporated pretty quick.

More camera problems, yep, almost became road kill, but this was because it fell down a flight of stairs. Found a Best Buy and the same old story, even if I would have bought a service plan thru them, they wouldn’t give me a new camera, but ship this one in for service, not necessarily something I can do on this trip. Well, Carlos and Frank helped me out by showing me how to clean it with a kit that I had to buy that makes some of a difference, now if I can figure out what to do with the stripped thread for mounting the thing to the bike.

The nights around here are actually pretty nice and comfortable so although it was hotter than hell today, tonight I can handle. Went to the Olive Garden next to the mall for a good dinner and than had to find this little bar I remember visiting just across the California border, well, maybe 20 some years ago when I was here on vacation. Well, Kiki’s was closed and found out their only open during daylight savings cuz than they can serve all those who jump the border for that extra hour of drinking, yep, time zone just across the Arizona and California border, but just during day light savings time…now that would answer why I thought I had traveled thru time going over the Hoover dam only to find out the two clock pictures had the same time…guess I’ll have to go back there in the winter months. Anyway, out to Jimmy Dee’s where they had a live band and the place was packed so had some fun. Check it out, full moon weekend so you know what I’ll be doing, riding under the full moon playing with the devil. San Diego, here I come. Yuma pics.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, this is John H..

I know exactly what you mean about pictures and films not doing the GC justice, having been there back when we lived in California.

Words don't exist to describe it.

You're probably on the road to SD by now, but you should have checked out Santa Fe...

6/11/2006 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem, hope you weren't too hungover for the free breakfast. It was a rough afternoon at work. Glad to be back in Vegas, though.

Have a good time in California and the rest of the trip.

6/14/2006 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home