Thursday, June 01, 2006

Durango, Colorado

Got to rub elbows with the rich and famous a bit more this morning and it really works walking into a place like you own it, tried that at the Aspen Rec center and hey, they only charged me $6.50 and that included a towel. It was a great night sleeping downtown Aspen with a creek running around me and it’s one of the few places I’ve found where the city park is isolated enough that for someone like me, just pitch a tent and spend the night…they even have porta potties in the park. Most of the beginning pictures for a day will be leaving town, sometimes sorry to leave it behind, but want to capture the entire experience.

Today the road led me to Durango Colorado, but the Million dollar highway was suppose to be the highlight of the trip. Well, it was, but there was plenty to see along the way and some pretty tough riding. Hey guys, you know who you are, that road to Crested Butte isn’t paved. Took a dirt road over Kebler pass, no, not the cookies, but glad that I did cuz ended up in Crested Butte and in the hands of Stacy and Alex. It’s tough traveling gravel on a bike, but sometimes you have to get off the beaten path to see the sites…some know what I’m talking about, right Steve and Terri. Didn’t take as many pictures since had to keep the shiny side up, but wish there was a scratch and sniff option for the smell riding thru the pines…ok, head out of the gutter with the scratch and sniff. Well, so because I ended up in Crested Butte, I’ve changed my mind about wanting to live in Aspen someday, Crested Butte is beautiful and I saw a lot more young people, you know around my age, mid 20’s walking around. Apparently that’s because of all the activities around there and the college at Garrison…notice the ‘W’, they must of known I was coming thru there. Anyway, had a great lunch and Stacy suggested checking out the hot springs on my way down the million dollar highway.

Ok, so went to far and had to backtrack from Ouray to the hot springs in Orvis, but even the women at the springs in Ouray said it was worth the 10 miles…now I know why you women suggested those hot springs, clothing is optional. Well, you know me, I’m not shy and since I didn’t pack a suit for the trip, well, my clothing stayed in the locker room…oh yea, just bought a suit almost a week ago, forgot about that…not. It was well worth it and nice and relaxing…no, couldn’t take pictures, but hey, this is my trip.

Back on the road and happy to have taken the break since the road was all mine most of the way. More awesome riding and they don’t call it the million dollar highway because of the road; it’s the view…more awesome riding. Tried to give you a perspective with some of the pics just how there’s nothing but cliff down the side of a curve, but had to spend most of my time concentrating on keeping the bike on the road, remember, go over the edge and you might as well kiss it goodbye. Great riding and I just love riding around these windy trails, even if it’s close to the edge, that’s what makes it fun…the danger.

Made it thru Silverton and still had plenty of time to ride that wanted to get to Durango to check out the local parks…no luck finding a place to pitch a tent so settled for a hotel, this time with high speed wifi to get caught up. Ok, so sitting at the local bar doing this, but which would you rather do, look at someone like Nicole or a hotel wall? Ran into some bikers coming from where I’m going…not funny, not going crazy yet, so was able to swap what roads to ride. Looking forward to hitting the four corners tomorrow and when is last call Nicole? Million dollar hwy pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home