Friday, June 09, 2006

Grand Canyon, South Rim

Decided against riding dirt today so did the 215 mile trip around through the heat to the south and on the way actually got to get into the canyon, yep, where the bridge crosses the Colorado river…ok, not much canyon around it, but still quite the experience. Hey, I’m getting pretty good at setting up and tearing down the campsite too that the free night sure made a difference. Well, the ranger did wake me up this morning, but only to put my bike back on the road instead of next to the tent…like it really made a difference. The night was perfect for sleeping with the breeze blowing thru the pines and the smell, well that’d be the scratch and sniff that I haven’t figured out yet with this camera. Still camera problems working only when it wants to, but that’s because you’ll need to experience some of these places on your own to see the true beauty. One cool thing though, can take video clips with the thing so of course had to get some for myself.

It heats up as quick on the north rim as it did cooling off last night, but had to get a few last shots of the place before taking off and got a picture of a neighbor, yep, the wildlife. From the comfortable riding temps from the north through the dry hot Arizona Indian country to the south side and once again, the views are awesome. My preference is the north rim, but there’s a lot more to see here only because it’s commercialized and you have buses to show you the sites…also, a lot more people on this side of the canyon. So much to see that it’ll take more than this trip for me to see what I’d like and white water rafting is still a must. Was going to do it from Vegas, but figured for $429 and having just paid for my bike to be serviced, that’ll be one of those things I experience with someone else so someone can verify that I did indeed do it…well, ok, do I really need someone to verify what I do? maybe not, but it’s fun sharing.

Setup camp again tonight and this time had to pay for it. That reminds me of something I heard from one of the rangers while describing things around the canyon, how our tax dollars give us these national parks to enjoy…my question, why are we as tax payers paying an entry fee than – why not charge the foreigners cuz believe me, there are plenty of them. Example, checkout the 3 guys from Germany that I met…nope didn’t get the chicks name, but she didn’t speak good English so there is still another example. Well, so not only do our tax dollars pay for this place, but our $25 entry fee ($12 for me since on bike) $18 for camping and it’ll be another $10 to watch the Imax presentation.

Ok, so the Germans rented a couple of bikes in Chicago and an RV and have traveled much of the country on their way to LA. Well, how’bout we compare miles, I’ve put on 12,000 miles in a month no less and those guys have 2500 in two weeks…like I’ve said the only way to see this country is by bike and I have a long way to go yet. Ok, the other thing with the south side, the weather isn’t as comfortable as the north and with it being as commercialized as it is, a lot more people so not as quaint and romantic as the north…for those who care about romance – must be sitting here having a few brews listening to the music that brought that out. Was a bit of a hassle getting a campsite since I drove out of the park and checked out the town where Imax is, looked at that campsite and figured my best bet is back in the park. Well, trying to get back in and couldn’t find my pass…yep, they were going to charge me another $12 so decided to head south, while dug in my pockets, yep, while riding, sure enough found my pass so headed back and glad I did, checkout the campsite…nice and private no matter how much noise I make.
Reminds me of something before forget, took a few pictures of some Walgreens in Vegas and I’m wondering why the ones around the Midwest don’t look like that…can we have one Steve, that’d be cool. Tomorrow more Arizona to see and maybe a little route 66. South Rim Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home