Friday, June 09, 2006

Grand Canyon, North Rim

North Rim you ask, well that’s the north rim of the Grand Canyon and was talked into staying, good thing too since the south side takes a few hours to get too…well, that depends, it’s 5 miles the way the crow flies, 24 miles hiking thru the canyon and about 215 miles driving – if I could just get the bike down the trail, 24 miles wouldn’t be bad. And to think I almost didn’t make it to the north rim, yep you almost lost me there. Well the truth of the matter is I was feeling a little homesick in Vegas, couldn’t you tell by my latest blogs? Must’ve been the heat and hearing how great the riding weather is back home – well, ok and the weekend it was for me, those memories will always get you, but today got me outta that. Ok, so the ride from Vegas thru Hurricane wasn’t the greatest but as soon as I hit hwy 67 south to the canyon, it was just like being back home. Could see the temp gauge on the bike start dropping from over 100 down to something in the 80’s which is much more manageable, but hell, as soon as the sun goes down it gets down right chilly.

Yep, talked into staying here for the night because there is plenty to see and all I can say, well I did say it on the bike, ‘Man, this is something else’. The sites are unbelievable and again there is no way the pictures do this place justice, you have to see it and experience it yourself to get the full affect. I sat on a cliff and just looked in awe what was in front of me and thought how great this world is and life in general…ok, I can go there, what a gift it is being alive and having things like this to take in. The other is there’s no better way to see it other than by bike. So many similarities between the Black Hills, Smoky mtns and Rockies with this place and the windy roads are a blast to ride. Sure a passenger on the bike can take in more what’s around us since me as a driver has more to concentrate on, but what a rush…and with the stereo, sensory overload – well, not overload, exhilarating.

Got a chance on the way here to see what one of those Plig’s towns looked like and kept wondering which house had how many wives in it…figured the bigger houses might be it, but there really wasn’t much to see, maybe if would’ve gotten of the road and drove thru town, but kinda heard the same thing in the south, there are some communities you don’t want to get off the main road to checkout – ya might not get out.

The north rim is great and met two couples with the same passion, riding to see the sites, so had to have a picture taken with them - Vicki and Penny (l-r) and thanks for sharing guys. From Indiana and came the same way as me, the Vegas route, but had to pay for the bikes…ok, yea I paid for mine, but I paid to own, not to rent. There is so much to see here and so many different places to ride and hike that it’s definitely a place to visit again – ok, while young and healthy so you can enjoy the full effect – maybe some hiking? And to think I was going to skip riding to the North Rim since I was getting a little homesick and counting the days to get home…hell, there’s too much country to see that I better see it while I have the chance. One thing with this trip and I hope to accomplish before I reach the grave, well, not grave, read my living will – is sharing these places that are worth revisiting with someone special. Ok, on the bike which means some young filly and we’ll see how much bitch I can put up with…you know, what they call the passenger seat on a bike – don’t you?

Time for some more pictures, setting up camp and finding a place to eat and drink and wouldn’t you know it, the campground here is full. Well, thanks to Pete and Mary, Mary coming from Duluth which reminds me of the Harley Davidson dealer owner in Tifton, they were willing to share some of there site with me. You should see the campsites, even that hotel I use for Sturgis wouldn’t fill a third of the spot here that there’s more than enough room. Now on to the eating and drinking and thanks to Julie, Weatherly and Marinza for taking such good care of me…I’m sure if you would’ve joined me, they would’ve understood. Finally to the bar and I’ve never seen a warning sign like that hanging on any bar room wall – have you? Tomorrow let’s see what the south side looks like and what that 24 mile trail looks like. North Rim Pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dale -- Vicki here. I am so proud of finally having my pic on the internet!!! I will back you up on the fact that it was HOT!!!! We stayed that night in Kanab, Utah -- great town -- and got up early and beat it back to Vegas in the morning to avoid the HEAT. We are back home again in Indiana. Hope you are doing well and remember to look us up when you come thru northern Indiana.

6/09/2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale - Saw the pic-thanks for putting us on the internet. That day was our best, so many memories. Don't forget to let us know when you come through Indiana. The picture turned out great.
Penny

6/09/2006 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home