Sunday, June 18, 2006

Mill Valley California

From the Hearst Castle to the Golden Gate Bridge so saw some great art as well as an awesome road to travel. The road was awesome because of the sights, not the condition, but they were twisty curvy roads just like I’ve seen in the mountains and as picturesque if not more since there was the ocean, the ocean cliffs and the California Mountains. It had me thinking during the ride just how blessed we are in life and having the views and things to see…it is truly unbelievable how different not only this country is, but the world – something I got from the Hearst Castle which has me thinking, I wonder if I could make a job out of this and turn this into traveling the world. I’d need to figure out how to get the bike over the water and if it were by riding it, well, I’d be rich just coming up with something like that, but a thought….what if I put it on a ship and road it on rollers at the same speed the ship is traveling just to get the miles on it…you know, like those rollers bikers, cyclist, ok non-motorized bicyclist use to train indoors, that might work.

Ok, back to reality and today’s travels. Like I said some great art to see and it all started with the Hearst Castle. My earliest morning yet since I have an appointment for the 8:30 showing, well, not really, but once I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep, figured with the time I did have today and since I wanted to make San Francisco before the day was over, should hit the road early. Well, got there early enough to catch the first tour which was great…love being first. Took tour number 1 and found out there are 3 others left to take, but that’ll be some other time when I get to share this experience with someone else, yep, another place worth coming back to visit. Maybe not much right around there, but just the riding to get there and from there is well worth it. Most if not all the art there are antiques which were purchased overseas and the oldest are the Egyptian artifacts, they apparently predate Moses. The other thing and that’s why there are a number of pictures of them are the ceiling, they made a point about that because it was important to William Hearst that everything throughout a room catches the eye, including the ceilings. You’ll also notice the number of statues of naked men and women from, what would that be the Roman Empire, there’s one that was my favorite – I decided to title it ‘Every Man’s Dream’. Check it out, a skinny dipping pool which many of the guests used after a late night movie…why not partying at a place like this. Hearst Castle Pictures.

Couple more things I also found out about William Hearst that I didn’t know, one that he had a girlfriend and the other was he went bankrupt and it was his girlfriend that bailed him out, kinda interesting that could happen with all the art and stuff he could of sold for the money, but hey, gotta like having a girlfriend as well as wife. Well, the reason for that is because back than a divorced woman lost her social status that he decided to keep her around as long as he could have the girlfriend…well, so she still got to party and him, still a lucky man. Hey today turned out to be a pretty lucky day for me too, because once the tour was done saw Cody cooking up some beef brisket so talked to him and hey, the stomach is telling me feed it and that looked pretty good. Well, once he got everything setup, yep, not only the cook but had to do everything else since no one was helping him, did it all on his own so gave me a complimentary meal…thanks Cody and the meat was done just right. Oh yea, and not to forget about Chelsea, she gave me the paper and pen that I needed and notice she was studying, well it was for her learners permit, she looks older than 16, doesn’t she…oh my how people could get themselves in trouble.

That Pacific Coast Highway is something else and once again, the only way to truly enjoy it and take it in is on motorcycle. It was a pretty chilly ride along the coast with the northerly winds blowing right from the water, but hey, if I can ride through the Continental divide and stay warm, I should be able to do the same in California, right? Again, twisty curvy roads that are great to travel and also just like the mountain roads, once I got around the slow people to take the lead, what a rush riding the corners hard…the only problem was stopping for pictures every so often, feel lucky, and getting caught behind the slow traffic again. PCH Pictures.

Finally San Francisco is in sight. Had a bit of a detour since the last 22 miles into town was by freeway, but when PCH is wiped out from a landslide ain’t gonna try it on bike, besides look at some of the cliffs along the way, same thing as the mountains, go over the edge and you might as well kiss it goodbye. Ok, while in San Fran have to see the Golden Gate Bridge right? Well, had no problems finding the park that has the Botanical gardens and museum, but I was looking for those parks along the coast that give you a great view of the bridge. Asked a number of people and was surprised the guys were more friendly and helpful than the women…wonder what that’s all about – yep; around here the men want me. You can see I went wild on pictures today, but hey when you have a digital camera and can download all the pictures you want on a laptop and delete the days pictures from the camera…I’m gonna try to fill it up every time. Made it to Dennis and Amy’s, but no one home so hope you don’t mind that I let myself in and washed off the road grime…I’ll be home soon.

Talked to one of the neighbors and he said downtown Mill Valley was the place to go, but figured I’d ask a couple of good lookin women walking along what they’d suggest. Well, Ciara & Janis pointed me to downtown Mill Valley to look for a place with atmosphere and food, but ya know, you ladies really should have joined me cuz this is where all the action is. Once found the square and parking asked a couple more people what they suggest and still no luck finding someone to join me, but decided on this little Italian Risorante, Piazza D’Angelo’s. A great pizza that even shared with the bartender, Bill, ok only gave him a piece so I guess I did find someone to join me…not that kind of join me. Check out Bill and Alexa, couldn’t get her to join me, but hey Bill, I was looking at the same thing. Golden Gate Pictures. Don't forget the other pictures above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home