Friday, June 23, 2006

Lincoln Oregon

Lincoln Oregon on the coast and the reason this was the stop for the night, it’s gettin cold riding along the coastal highway and I missed a few turns along the way. Stopped for gas and asked how far Portland was and when heard a couple of hours, figured this is a good place to call it a night, oh and the other thing, things close down early around here that if I still wanted to check in someplace and find a descent place to eat, better do it sooner than later.

Did a little zig zagging, maybe more zagging since already zigged last night from the coast to Grants Pass, but the plan was to head to Crater Lake and check it out and boy am I glad I did. On the way went along the Rogue River which was a beautiful ride and if the camera would’ve cooperated, you would’ve seen it, but it was quite picturesque. This mornings thoughts, just soaked in all the beauty around me and lived for the moment…it’s true, if you live in the now you can find happiness instead of wondering what the future holds or worrying about it – all you can do is deal with the now and this ride was the only thing I needed to be concerned with at the time and it was beautiful. So the ride there was without incident, but all the way there I was thinking about this Crater Lake and what it must look like since my assumption was it was created from a meteor. While a Green Bay Packer Fan or new one since he’s from Washington and just happened to buy the hat, took my picture by the snow bank and told me you gotta stop at the visitor’s center to check it out. While Elise was very helpful and really got into her job explaining everything about Crater Lake that you could possible learn in 15 minutes. She’s from and Texas and said the first time she saw the lake she was awestruck. Well, this lake was actually created by a massive eruption in which the mountain collapsed into itself and because of all the rain and melting snows, filled it with water, no meteor or spring water creating this thing. The other thing it is the deepest lake in the U.S. and the 7th in the world and the clearest water of any of them, and blue - never seen water so blue that it’s unbelievable, but you can get a little perspective from the pictures in comparison to the clear blue sky. Check out how much snow there is and again, timing was everything because the west loop had just opened this week, but notice the other road closed? The other half of the lake was still covered in snow and the roads were just being cleared so there was no loop around the entire lake to be taken today, maybe middle July, but I don’t think I’ll be around for that…oh, and the other thing, hell the mosquitoes here are worse than home, believe it, and definitely larger than we get back home.

Ok, so drove to the parking area to walk to the edge and check it out and as soon as you see the lake, it’s easy to be awestruck. I don’t know that there are words to describe what you see in front of you, but I did hear some words such as awesome, unbelievable, incredible, amazing, etc. – you get the idea. I remember telling Elise that my favorite destination or at least the one which left the most memorable impression on me was the Grand Canyon, but that was before I saw this. Just look at the reflections in the water and believe me, it is the bluest blue you have ever seen…and the snow, that handful quenched my thirst cuz although it was a cool ride, it was plenty warm walking around so a snow cone sounded good…and tasty – no dirt or yellow snow in that handful. The other thing riding down from the lake was the sight of the other mountains in the distance and checkout the snow banks. There were places where the snow banks on both sides of the road were easily over 10 feet on each. Also road thru the Pumas desert, you know all the soot from the eruption?

Well, now that I saw what I came for, it was time to head to the coast to hit the coastal highway again, but first needed something to eat so finally found a place that had a great burger. The ride from the lake along the Rogue River was a great one and a long one before coming across a place that served food, but talked to the people there and asked what other sights I should check out. The Spruce Goose was one I told them I definitely wanted to checkout so they told me where it was and one of the guys suggested checking out the Sea Lion caves. Ok, so the directions were easy and I had the road numbers memorized for getting to the coast, but wouldn’t you know it, when got to the T in the road went the wrong way, but thought for sure was going to hit the other road heading west, well, guess not. Yep, looked at the map and although when in doubt always go right, well that was the wrong turn. After checking it out, hey there were some other roads that would get me there so might as well take them…what a mistake that was. Even though I asked someone whether backtracking was a better bet than taking the road in front of me, they said no, you’ll like this twisty curvy, wait, according to the Oregon road signs, the correct term is ‘curving road’, and it shouldn’t take too long so ok, I’m going for it. Shouldn’t take too long, right? Wrong! Get out in the middle of no where and I don’t know how many intersections I hit that were a T in the road and no marker of where to go from there, left or right. Felt like I was going in loops, but asked someone I finally saw on the road…yep, two vehicles the entire way so you can imagine how isolated and little this road is known, but hey a great ride nonetheless. Keep going the way I am and’ll reach the coast in another 30 miles…well, backtracking earlier would’ve definitely been the thing to do. 30 miles later and guess where I came out on the coast? Yep, the same place I would’ve had I made the right, I mean left turn the first time or backtracked the second time – boy was I happy to see the coast.

Finally heading north on the coastal highway and it didn’t take too long to get to the Sea Lion Caves, but hey, guess you’ll miss being able to see it, cuz I was 15 minutes late…remember, timing is everything. No problem for me though cuz hey, I got to ride that road that very few do and it reminded me a lot of a ride went on last year thru the bluffs of southern Wisconsin and how these little roads in the middle of no where are sometimes the jewels that no one else knows about, hey, if you ever ride in Oregon, I’ve got a road for you…ya, that’s whether I could find it again or not. Asked someone coming out of the caves whether they were worth it and they said it was very touristy so not missing anything…ok, on north toward the Spruce Goose and that brings me here; Lincoln Oregon where I found another cheap room, Econo Lodge and had a great meal at Kyllos where I got some great pictures of the sunset. Hopefully Seattle tomorrow, times running short on getting to New Hampshire sometime the 4th of July week…still so much to see. Crater and River Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home