Saturday, July 01, 2006

Salt Lake City Utah

Salt Lake City Utah and it cost me $4 to become a member to this bar. Yep, in Utah you have to become a member of a bar to be able to drink and the pass is good for 21 days, oh well, just look at is as a cover charge. This place is packed to so I can see the state making a lot of money on this membership thing, some call it a state tax…oh, and you have to be a member for each bar you want to visit…no barhopping tonight. My assumption was there are plenty of non Mormon’s who want to party so these places are bound to be packed, that was until I found out more on that subject…get to that later. Today’s adventures and my timing was back once again…it always seems to either come down to my timing or something happening that should of, but let me tell you the story.

Well, last night was a blast at the Million Dollar Cowboy and they have a band every night except for Monday’s, so last night was a good night to be there and you can see by the picture that the place was still hopping after midnight. Hey check out the barstools, real saddles and uncomfortable as hell, especially after being on a motorcycle all day, but like the bartender said, after a few shots you’ll never notice, well, it made for more to talk about and this is definitely the place to be in Jackson (Hole). Got kicked out of Burke’s since they were closing and with my bike parked in front of the cowboy, timed it just right that didn’t have to pay cover charge. Had a great time talking with Travis and Lori from Sioux Falls Iowa and Travis was showing her the mountains and other sites she’s never seen, kinda like what I want to do someday, share some of these places with someone. That reminds me of something that Sara asked me when talking with her, remember, Big Oak, well it was whether I’m glad I’m seeing all of these places by myself or do I wish I were sharing them with someone for the first time…well, I’d love to be sharing them for the first time, but since that ain’t happening, I hope whoever I do share them with are open to the fact that although I’ve been here before, it’ll mean just as much if not more to share it…hey, it all works out in the end – right?

My day got off to an early start since the guys next door were up early getting ready for work, remember the ones we met last night? No, you guys didn’t wake me up, it was the guys who started their bikes to get going, someone should do something about those loud pipes…not really because ‘loud saves lives’ or keeps you out of Pebble Beach…that was awhile ago already. Off to the Jackson Harley shop to get my bike checked out and when stopped at the clothing place downtown to get directions, that’s the place…they didn’t tell me they were just and RO, retail outlet so unless I needed clothing they couldn’t do anything for me. Ok, on the road to Salt Lake City and crossed a few states on the way, Wyoming thru Idaho into Utah and another great ride, they were at least helpful with directions for a scenic ride at the RO. On the way something was telling me should eat something so like the name of this place and for those who don’t know, Merlin is someone curl with (aka, Curlin Merlin). The burger was ok and I have had better, but the onion rings were great…remember can’t be too picky.

Made it close to Salt Lake City and notice a Harley shop so stopped in and they were great help. The hottie at the front gave me directions to Temple square and the Salt flats while the shop took apart the bike and found out the speakers were blown, only problem they didn’t have a pair of 06 speakers, but the other shop downtown did, so I should check with them tomorrow to see about getting it fixed. That ended up working out just fine cuz noticed the thunderstorm downtown so decided to hit the flats first…great, no rain and no rain gear needed. Well, you can see from the pictures that I did make it to the Bonneville Raceway, or, Speedway or maybe Salt Flats, well one in the same and once you get to the end of the road, that’s all you see, salt flats. Notice how it looks like a mound of salt behind my bike, an optical illusion cuz it’s nothing but flat. Well, road out to some vehicles I saw out there, but got turned away before got too close…apparently they were shooting a tire commercial so the guy pointed me in the direction where the race track is, well, salt flat, but it’s somewhat graded and marked with cones. Saw a pickup running down it so decided to make my own run and eventually caught up with them. Well, they were scoping the track out for the races coming up in August and they said more than half the entries are bikes, and sure they’d take a picture of me making a run…you can see by the picture I was going to fast for him to catch me past the cones, had to make slower run by the cones for that…yep, kicked it up to just over 100mph and figured that was enough and shut it down, I think there still was some left, but just to say I ran over 100mph on my bike on the flats is good enough for me. Then, after talking with the guys they said be careful on the way back cuz you don’t want to go down on this stuff, worse than pavement cuz not only will it rip the skin off, but the salt’ll get stuck in the meat and just eat away at it…sure glad they didn’t tell me that before I kicked it up a notch.

Now the boring ride back to Salt Lake City, forgot to mention there is nothing but flat land and a lot of salt flats on the way out there and it’s over 100 miles one way, so now more boring riding back, but made it time to the Temple square to check it out. Everyone down there is very friendly and there were a lot of young people, missionaries hanging around to answer questions and help you out with things. First talked to an older lady and gentleman on a place close by to stay for the night and although they weren’t much help with that, fun to talk to, the guy said once I told him I grew up in Wisconsin, he said welcome to God’s other country….he knows, Wiscony is still it. Anyway, took a tour which wasn’t much and the feeling I got from the missionaries leading us on the tour and hanging around answering questions was that it was a bit cultish…so much I found out that’d it take more than a blog to try to cover what I learned. Anyway, the Tabernacle was under renovation and some of the other buildings were off limits, even for members too, like the temple, they have to prepare themselves to enter, not sure what the entire ritual was because no one could answer it, but again, sounded a little cultish to me. Anyway, did get to see the choir practicing in the convention center across the street, and guess what, Thursday nights the only night they practice, the only other time to see them is for the performance on Sundays and if your not a member, you’d only be able to see it on TV…can I say it, what great timing. Talked to a lady seating people about it so got that entire scoop and before I left, she gave me a free cd, now that’s cool…oh, and the other thing, the choir is awesome to listen to.

Ok, just like everyone else I have my ideas about Mormons and the city of Salt Lake City, but that soon changed cuz in no time I saw a gentlemens club and soon after that a number of them. Well, that brings me here, Port O’ Call, one of the larger bars in town, but I found out there are many more like it. Met Bruce, Rhenny and Mike, and Bruce and Mike are from out of town, but Rhenny gave me a lot of scoop about Salt Lake City and it was nothing I thought. She said people like it that way cuz then it keeps outsiders from wanting to move there and one of them was although Mormon’s don’t drink, a lot of them in the bar are Mormons, they are just ‘Jack Mormons’ that’s the same as a Non Practicing Catholic…we still believe, but don’t necessarily follow all the rules. Well, that answers that and the other was that in Salt Lake City only 38% of the people there are Mormons including the Jacks…the other thing, there are a lot of beautiful women in this town and if Mormons have a different belief, no not submissive like I was hoping the answer would be, but that’s more on what I learned about their faith. Women are the mothers and will never be a prophet (aka, pope) or apostle cuz those roles are only for men – that is women will have children and are responsible for raising and nourishing them while the male will be the provider and teach the Mormon ways…sometimes things about other religions sound appealing, but as long as we believe, that’s what’s important…things will always work out the way they should. Tomorrow, time to get the bike fixed and head toward Kansas City - a little anxious to get home before heading east. Salt Lake City Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home