Friday, June 30, 2006

Jackson Wyoming

Jackson Wyoming according to the map, but everything around town suggests Jackson Hole. Ok, been asking around and it sounds as though the town is Jackson, but Teton village is in Jackson Hole and called Hole because it’s a trappers term…whichever, if you check out the map, look for Jackson Wyoming. Thanks to John and Chris had a floor to sleep on last night and a shower to use this morning the Wausau contingent were taking a bus tour today of Yellow Stone, 4 days on the road and they need a little R&R from the bikes. Me, you know it, on the bike to see the park. Got up early since to rest of them were so could have breakfast with them and Dale had a good suggestion, I could just follow the bus and make all the stops they do and save myself $50 to do the tour, well, maybe if I had been ready that early in the morning, but I figured on showering after breakfast, remember this is a vacation for me to so when I can sleep in, I’m going to. Notice the picture of the bus stuck in the ditch, that’s why I rode the bike so I didn’t have to deal with that, it wasn’t their bus, but I’m sure those people weren’t too happy about the situation.

Made the loop thru Yellow Stone and although it may be one of the most traveled National Parks, I wasn’t awestruck like I have been with some of the other places I’ve seen, don’t get me wrong the scenery is definitely worth seeing and something different to see, but maybe because I’ve seen so many of them, it didn’t have me looking at something saying wow, or a capital WOW which is still reserved…used it once in my life for a different reason. Ok, back to Yellow Stone and the adventures. Well, after leaving the Wausau crew from breakfast started getting ready for my travels and packed the bike just in case I didn’t end up back in Mammoth Hot Springs and wouldn’t you know it, those Space Saver bags are failing me that now it tougher packing all the cloths I have along than it was before. They are either starting to rip or don’t seal any more, but I’m sure they weren’t designed for the abuse I’m putting them through, remember how I remember how things use to be built to last? Not these days.

Finally got everything stuffed on the bike and ready to roll, and the other thing I forgot to mention, although they got rained and sleeted on yesterday, this morning, beautiful sunshine. Made a trip back to the gate I came in on since I missed the Wyoming sing so got to cross 2 states in a matter of minutes…I guess that fails in comparison to being in four states at once, but I thought that was quite an accomplishment. Also had to get a picture of the 45th parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole and do you realize the same is over by Wausau? Chris told me the name of the place, but maybe he can help out and put a comment out there with the name…I guess I have another place to stop at along the way – just to make the connection and bring it closer to home. You can see from the pictures there is plenty to see and once again, thanks to me stopping that’s why you get the pictures you do…yea, I know maybe not the greatest, but with the camera failing me as much as it is, doing the best I can with what I have.

Of course the main attraction at Yellow Stone is Old Faithful and that’s where all the buildings and special highway to get to and from are, but I was more impressed with some other places such as Dragon Mouth Springs, had to take a video of that just to capture the sound it makes and it does sound like a dragon, not that I’ve ever seen on, only in the movies. Other places worth seeing was Yellow Stone River, lake, the Sulfur springs and the mud volcanoes, all pictured somewhere along the line. Made it to Old Faithful and although we had been joking about how good my timing has been on my travels so far, just missed the last eruption so am gonna have to wait almost 90 minutes for the next - checked out the map and how far I still had to go and was debating on staying and eventually calling it another night in Mammoth, but you can see, that didn’t happen. It was time for lunch anyway so good time to get that in and wouldn’t you know it, my cell phone worked so made a few calls to those who care. Finally time to blow and you can see, there was a buffalo laying between the crowd and the hot spring that when it did start blowing the buffalo started heading toward the crowd and of course they all scattered, but hey, I stood my ground, he’d have to get up on the boardwalk before getting to me so if I had to move quick, I think I could’ve.

Debating on doing the entire loop back to Mammoth, but according to Chris the canyon just sought of Mammoth was worth seeing so although threatening weather was approaching I went for it anyway. Ok, get there and thought about staying, but still plenty of sunshine to burn that I might as well head south for Salt Lake City, another reason I ended up in Jackson, or Jackson Hole to some of us. The other reason I didn’t push it any further is there’s a Harley dealer in town and maybe they can fix my stereo, according to Chris, maybe it’s just a fuse…let’s hope so. Oh and back to the timing thing and that maybe my timing wasn’t that good, well on my way from Old Faithful to Mammoth asked a park ranger if it was worth the drive and although he said it depends on what you want to see, he told me that a motorcyclist was killed a couple hours earlier just north of where we were…hey, time wise, if I would have decide to head north and come back to Old Faithful later, you never know, could’ve been me so I’ going to go with my timing being great once again.

Hit a few sprinkles because of that impending weather threat I referred to earlier, but just kept riding thru most of them and they were nothing, that is until I go close to the southern exit. All of a sudden it was a downpour and thought, nope, I’ll be out of this soon that just kept riding, well, not the case and you know you get wet a hell of a lot quicker than you dry out, am dry now, but it took 70 some miles before that happened. Something special about my travels today, I passed over the Continental Divide five times today, yep, 5, the loop thru Yellow Stone crosses it twice within a 10 mile span and then on my way south out of the park, hit it for the 5th time. Ok, now I see something worth seeing, the Grand Teton’s, now that’s worth a wow. I heard they were something to see from Mike at the Roadhouse in California and the other place he told me to check out was Jackson Lake Lodge and what a site…another place I want to revisit and share the experience with someone. Anyway the Grand Teton’s are definitely worth seeing and riding along. Hey, that reminds me, while driving thru Yellow Stone notice a couple in front of me, yep, slow car where I saw the driver paying a lot of attention to the road and the vehicle in front of him and his passenger just looking out the passenger side of the vehicle…that’s why seeing these places on bike is the only way to do it, you get the full panoramic view instead of just one side of the vehicle.

Jackson (Hole) and need a place to stay and thanks to Julie, she calls a few hotels for me, but the cheapest rate in town, $98, maybe camping will work and although that’s still $35, oh well, that’ still cheaper and it’s in town. Well, talking to the people running the campground told them how I want to get to Salt Lake City for the Tabernacle and such and the guy said they are Mormon and asked me if I knew how many wives they could have, hey, I learned that one in Zion and told him one, unless you live in Columbia City, hey, that’s an ‘A’ for me. Anyway they just happened to have a small spot left and next to five guys in town trying to work for a living three of them from Croatia. Well, there’s Daniel, Matthew, Ivan, David and Drazen and you might be able to figure out which three of the five are from Croatia, ok, you can only get two? well, Daniel is a brother…get it now? Here the place to visit while in town is the Million Dollar Cowboy and just missed dinner there that ended up there, Burke’s with a great bartender Katrina and another customer, Tom who’s in town on business. Was talked into trying the Elk chop and it was awesome…very tasty. Now, more therapy, but I got two viewpoints, one from Tom, who told me that women are cold hearted when they decide they’re ready to move on, but Katrina said maybe there’s hope cuz sometimes women aren’t sure what they want and may go back and forth, only problem with that, sometimes you do more damage than good…ok, I think I get the message and that goes with the lesson a few days ago, actions speak louder than words – time for me to move on. Jackson pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home