Sunday, July 09, 2006

Trenton Maine, July 8th

Trenton Maine and I’m actually sitting in a bar in Bar Harbor, figured with the name they must have a few, but made a bad choice on campsites, more on that later. Completed another coast to coast, the Pacific to the Atlantic and did it in 12 days which was much quicker than the Atlantic to the Pacific, but didn’t have as much to see along the way and needed to make good time to hook up with the group in New Hampshire.

The day started out with family pictures and thanks to George, Cheryl, Niki and George they really made me feel like part of the family. It was hard hitting the road and leaving them all behind because I really enjoyed the R&R, but I hope to meet up with some of them again on this trip. Had a great time the past few days and as with the west coast needed a few days to kick back and take it easy although that hike the other day did kick my ass, but hey, I needed a workout like that. Ok, before I leave there’s one thing to take care of. Taylor has a tooth that’s ready to come out so what better way to pull it than tying it to a Harley and yanking it out, that’ll make for a great story. Well, I think the sound of the bike when I started it scared her a little that it was time to shut it down and leave the tooth as is…Taylor, you know I’ll see you in a couple of days so if that tooth is still there it’ll be time to pull it.

Time to hit the road and like I said hard saying goodbye to everyone, but thank you very much for your hospitality and really making me feel like part of the family, I had a great time and really appreciated it. Didn’t even make it out of New Hampshire and wouldn’t you know it, get pulled over…not for a helmet this time but the other problem I’ve had with this trip, a heavy hand – ok for those who don’t know you throttle a bike with the hand, not the foot…is there a blonde joke in there somewhere. Anyway was fortunate enough to get off with just a warning and at first the officer thought that maybe I was taking a picture because of what some of the gangs in the area have been doing with bikers, but like I told him have a blogsite out there journaling my trip that that was the only reason for the picture…hey, if you check it out, sorry, but don’t have your name or badge number so you have nothing to worry about and thanks for just the warning.

Back on the road and the next stop was the Atlantic ocean in Portland, no not Portland Oregon, but the east coast version in Maine to complete my coast to coast. Can see the bike with the ocean and bay in the back ground and had to dip a foot so that’s the picture of the boot…ok, it was a boat launch, but that was the first place I came to along the water. What a great view and would soon find out that all of the views along the coast are mostly of bays, some what different than the west coast, but definitely worth seeing. Took a loop to the end of a tip from Bath to see Fort Popham and never did catch the history behind the fort, but it was pretty interesting to see. Made the stop just in time to find out about the place too cuz I remembered George having told me about a fort along the way worth seeing and thought maybe I should pull over check the map and ask for directions and wouldn’t you know it, the next exit was the one I wanted…waited any longer and it would have been like some of my other adventures when I missed a turn – no going back. Oh yea, another one of those signs just daring me, but it was a pretty safe dock that a number of people were using for a boat launch so I wasn’t worried…if I would have had to use that rusted ladder though, then I’d be worried.

Now I’m getting hungry and missed the turn for highway 1 thru downtown Rockport and ended up at the Marina that it looks like a good place to eat and of course Linda and a waitress talked me into a Maine lobster…one of those things I was definitely planning on having on the east and boy was that a great lobster. Hard to believe that use to be the poor mans food cuz now it’s only the rich and famous that can afford it. I didn’t care, lobster was my goal and now I’ve had it. Oh and met Linda and Rich, yep another Linda and may have my Boston connection. Didn’t sound as though the Red Sox were going to be at home until Thursday to go see a ballgame, but oh well, may get there some day.

Camden just up the road two towns, but with the traffic could take a good 20 minutes if now more and it’s surprising how slow people drive around here. Guess it might be because the posted speed is only 50 mph max in some places, but my hand got a little heavy along the way again. In Camden there was a mountain I was suppose to checkout because it gave me a view of the entire area, a 360 so had to shoot a video clip of that…only something that’ll have to be shared later. It was a state park so my national park pass wouldn’t work, but it was worth the $3, what a beautiful site and a good day to be seeing it…just check out the pictures.

Next stop, Acadia national park which is what today’s trip was all about. It takes you out to an island with only one road out and back and gives a great view of what most of the east coast looks like with beaches, both sand and rock and the cliffs which are pretty prevalent along this coast and some more beautiful scenery…once again, pictures don’t do it justice and I get to experience it on the bike which is also a bonus. Had a mountain that needed to be climbed and I didn’t mind either of the mountain climbs today, remember Camden being the first? the bike did all the work…now that’s my kind of climbing. Still too much sunlight to catch the sunset on Cadillac Mountain, but still got some great shots all around, sorry no 360 this time.

Ok, one lobster wasn’t enough today that I need to find a place to stay and a lobster boil which I’ve heard so much about so back on the mainland to see what I could find. Yea, Bay Harbor is on the island and definitely the touristy thing to see, but thought a campground near one of the lobster pounds would be the place to be, so thanks to Eileen and Richard, another Rich for today, found a nice spot to pitch tent and was only a mile from what was suppose to be a good lobster pound. Great I’m set for the night cuz will go have a lobster and some beer and get my blog written while enjoying a few beers. Well, that wasn’t the case cuz the lobster pounds are only for dinner so after I get done’ll have to find another place to spend some time working on this blog. Ok, stopped at the Gateway Lobster Pound and ended up sitting at a table already taken, yep, by Natalya, heavy Russian accent and she was having lobster while her husband slept in the car. They were traveling from New York thru Canada and he didn’t want lobster so here we are. Me, I talked to the guys cooking them up, Evan and Jason and told them I’ll need two, but had no idea they’d be giving me a 3 pounder, check that baby out…and tasty, I thing I could have gone for another. Hey, this is also where timing is everything because had a great waitress, Jessica that asked when first got there what the blue berry beer tastes like, but she said she didn’t know because wasn’t of age, only 18, right like you’ve never drank…ok, did get it out of her. Anyway tonight is her last night in town visiting her friend Heather and she has to head home tomorrow morning. What a friend, come and visit her for a couple of weeks and she puts her to work in the family restaurant. Ok, she was a sweet Georgia peach and to be fair, how’bout we coin Heather as the wild Maine blueberry child? The two lobsters turned out a bit spendy, but hey, that’s what I’m here for, the poor mans catch.

No sitting around having a beer of two and working on my blog and found out that the nearest bar was either Bay Harbor or Ellsworth, both 9 miles away in different directions and I thought I had done so well picking a campground. Was talked into taking the trip to Bay Harbor because more action going on and found a fun little place that what’dya know, have high speed internet. Got some help from Emily, Liz and Travis with names of places I stopped at along the way so had to get a picture. Ok, time to work on my blog and get these pictures out there, but didn’t write too much because spent quite a bit of time talking to Kim sitting next to me…a hottie from Massachusetts, hey maybe another Boston connection since she lives only an hour away, but no luck. We were the last two to leave the bar which was closing early and you can see Randy and Travis were holding onto here too tight for her to be dragged out of there…think she had something for Randy anyway, but hey, I couldn’t tell. Before I forget, another story with Rockport is they are the lobster capital, not sure of what, but have a lobster fest there every year, kinda like Colby Cheese days where I come from and the marina I found is the only restaurant in town that serves lobster, now what you think the chances of that happening for me are…ok, back to it – everything happens for a reason. Let’s see what I decide to do tomorrow and where the travels take me…still plenty of east to see. Atlantic Ocean Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home