Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 12 - Ensenada BC Mexico Weekend

Day 12 in Ensenada and when looking at a calendar it sure seems like more than 2 weeks that I’ve been gone. Maybe that has to do with the fact that I had to rush it to get to Ensenada in 6 days or that Im really enjoying myself in Ensenada which I definitely am. Tonight was another night at at Salu, Lou’s bar where now that I’m a regular it only costs me $2 a beer and still the best sports bar I’ve found in town because he has everything and broadcasts it in English instead of Spanish. Sure I’m going to school, but when it comes to watching sports from back home, English is the best way to listen too it.

I was hoping my host families Señor was maybe into joining me to watch some baseball, but for him it’s football, and only the Mexican version. Tonights visit to Salu was all about the World Series game and it turned out to be another blowout. I’m cheering for the underdog Kansas and would love to see them win it, but with most series like these when it comes to playoffs it will likely go the full 7 games. Tomorrow night will be a bit of a toss up and I’ve already hit Lou up on we have to be listen to the Packers game since their on at the same time. You bet, I’ll be there another night seeing how many $2 beers I can down.

So according to Lou last night the langosta (lobster) isn’t that great at the restaurants that if I want a good one for the price the place to visit is the black market seafood shop down by the docks. If you remember that was one of the places I visited my first night in the tourist zone where every shop along there was trying to sell me a fish taco. Well, last night I didn’t make it in time before they closed so tonight I made sure I missed part of the World Series to make sure I got my langosta and maybe because it was my first experience and I didn’t get the whole lobster like I was hoping for, but although it tasted pretty good, there is still no comparison to Maine lobster. Sure I was disappointed that I didn’t get to pick out the lobster and somehow the head an claws were gone when I got it, but it was my first of what I hear is a place to get lobster. I thing tomorrow maybe I’ll have Lou get it for me since he’s already told me he would have it delivered.

I’ve already become one of the regulars at this place along with Steve who is retired here which I think I’ve told you about and a number of others that I’ve seen there every night I’ve been here and tonight when I left Lou made sure to let me know to join his table tomorrow (manana) which I think puts me in the rankings of a regular. Tonight I ended up seeing I guy I had met last night on my way home from the bars that was from Wisconsin. If you remember how I’ve said not only are the merchants trying to get you into their shops, but the bartenders and waitresses do the same that last night one of the bartenders stopped me and said I had a buddy from Wisconsin that I should meet. Ok, how they knew I was from Wisconsin is since I’ve been down there every night I have th same guys trying to sell me stuff, women, drugs or whatever my pleasure.

Well Johnny didn’t remember me from the night before and no wonder because I knew he was trashed when I met him, but we had a good boys talk. I would she thought him older than me, but guess what, he happened to be the same age. Not necessarily in the bet of health having problems with pancreas and liver from drinking and smoking for as long as he has, but then again maybe I have the same taking my chances on riding a motorcycle where ever I please, and how we got into that was him talking how he probably wont’ see retirement which is some what how I look at things. Who knows if I’ll make it to 60, but you gotta know I’m having a hell of a lot of fun on my way there. 

So for tomorrow, Sunday and still a weekend that I don’t have to worry about class I am finally going to get my bike out and see what part of the trip to Cabo will be like. I ended up meeting a guy Friday while trying to buy a map, Relando that lived in St Paul for awhile and has a Harley of his own. I’m not sure how he figured out I had one other than my shirt, but started talking to me and helped me with my Spanish to get a map. Him and his wife have a nice business next door and he was telling me about riding his bike here from Mexico City that I figured he’d be one to hookup with and maybe help me get to Mexico City. Sure, I’m trying to at least see what riding to Cabo is like riding in Mexico, but if I find someone, a Mexican that might help me get to Mexico City, maybe it’s worth giving it a try. Remember the motorcycle insurance I bought is good for 6 months that maybe I take advantage of it. Anyway, he told me he’d meet me Sunday and take me riding to La Bufadora which I guess is a popular tourist attraction and from my other house guest for the week, Christina quite a nail biter of a ride. Apparently it’s a 27 mile stretch of road off the main highway 1 to the ocean side to see the ocean crashing against the rocks that the ride itself sounds like the exciting part. Curvy windy roads through the mountains with no guard rails that we’ll see how this compares to some of the hill climbs I have taken. I look forward to following someone who knows the area and he’s also offered to help me get a burner phone before I start heading to Cabo.

The thing I have since found out is there is no Cuota (toll road) to Cabo, but it is all free which means much of what I’ve already experienced when I got off the toll road because the road was closed, narrow roads with no shoulders and people passing even up the mountains. I’m definitely going to need to be on my toes for a ride south and now that I’ve hear today that even riding 375 miles from here to Guerroro Negro will take me 10 hours, I might have to re-plan my trip south. That is where the gas stops are and hopefully finding a hotel/motel before along the way.

So tonight I was going to go for he boyz factor since I have the same guy telling me every night that he has the girls for me and the drugs, that I thought I’d take him up on seeing the girls that it turned out to be no different than home, to the strip joint where you might have at least one that is worth it dancing that I thought it’d be something more. I can say that I do see a lot of very attractive Mexican mujers (woman) walking around, that just getting some of those pictures may be the boyz factor. 

Ok, enough babble for tonight that I’ll let you know what La Bufadora is like and Sunday night football at Salu with the big boys. More pics of Ensenada, the sidewalks that have to be traversed carefully, a football game (Mexican) that I know at least one reader might enjoy and how easy it is to get any kind of drug that you need at the stores in the tourist zone. 



1 Comments:

Anonymous Rob said...

Sounds like you are still having a lot of fun. Look forward to the reading.

10/27/2014 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home