Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 2 - Guthrie OK

Day 2 and I’m in Guthrie OK just north of Oklahoma City. Today was all about getting the longest part of the trip out of the way leaving Minnesota and seeing how far south I could get. After a 12 hour ride, that leaves a little play time for me tomorrow before getting to Alamogordo NM, my first planned visit. Tonight is the first night in a motel and I found the cheapest around, $55 for the night and it’s definitely a dive, but within walking distance of a bhq place and a Mexican restaurant. The thing missing though is a bar within walking distance so that means a sober written blog instead of one from the late night of a bar with a few drinks and making friends.

Today’s ride was fortunately a dry one. I think I left late enough that by the time I got into  Iowa, the roads had a hint of having been rained on, but were pretty dry that I didn’t have to worry about the slide while wet. That shouldn’t be a problem either if I do run into rain since I had new tires put on before this trip. Yep, another large bill at the Harley shop getting the bike ready for this trip. By the time I got to Kansas City, the sun was out which made for a great ride south thru Kansas into Oklahoma. Sorry, no state signs, but I didn’t see any while entering a new state. The only thing I had to go on was seeing the mile marker 1 in which case I knew I was close to the border. Some of the states just don’t advertise themselves like others do when you cross the border. 

The only thing that sucked about the ride was the cross wind from Kansas City to Wichita. After yesterdays storms that had gone thru there was a strong northerly wind that helped with the majority of the trip, but since Wichita is West instead of a straight shot south, that meant a strong cross wind and with the speed limit pumped up, it does make for an exciting ride. The other thing that almost happened with today’s ride was me running out of gas on the toll road. I checked my mileage while riding past one of the gas stops and figured I had no problems making it to the next, but wouldn’t you know it, no tail wind to help me get there, but a cross and head wind that had my fuel light coming on with too many miles to still ride. Nothing like having a gas can strapped to the back of the bike and running out of gas without being able to use it. My thought was I’ll need it more in Mexico than the states so am carrying it empty right now, but maybe I should be safe and put some in for the hell of it.

Ok, so today I have pictures attached, but not much to see except for the road, gas stops and the motel and bbq place I ended the night with. Tomorrow will be about the ride along some of the old route 66, a visit with the aliens and any mischief I might be able to get in.

Day 2 Mex pics


1 Comments:

Anonymous Rob said...

Sounds like you had some problems running out of gas. How far did you have to walk to get it going again? We are rooting for you here in Eagan.

10/15/2014 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home