Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Tamworth New Hampshire

Home at last, at least my home for a few days and happy to be here. Today was another hot ride and although we live to ride in the sun, it can really start beating you up. Anyway, we’ll get to that, but what about last night’s festivities. Not much if any fireworks over the lake so I think they must’ve been saving them for tonight and up here in the mountains of NH, I don’t think we’ll be seeing any. Plenty of hoopla going on at the bar last night and although it was bunch of rich boaters and only a few bikers at the local biker bar, the kick around the lake this year is country music dancing. I was talking to a guy about how it always seems these boating communities always have something new popping up each year that all participate in even if it’s not their style. That was definitely the case with the line dancing last night cuz out out of all the couples there was one that looked country, but the rest, just following the crowd. Reminded me of boyz weekends we use to have at a buddy’s place down by Milwaukee because every year we went down there for the holidays, there was something different that the boating crew took up. I guess it’s just one of those things that if you want to fit in do what the Jone’s do. The bar did turn out to be fun although I was expecting more people out, especially since they have Monday off from work, but apparently there might’ve been another bar I should have thought about visiting. Oh well, didn’t want to drink too much since I had to hop on the bike for a 5 mile trip back to the hotel. Ended up at the same place I stayed last year and for about the same rate, I can handle that for a night.


Ok, now for the ride today, which was pretty much uneventful. I did get going the same time as yesterday, by about a minute. Sunday I was on the road by 9:03 and today it was 9:04 so I’ll call that average for now and I’m sure glad I don’t have to get up for any kind of riding tomorrow. The one thing I’ve liked about he riding is not having to worry about rain, but I have learned that this much sun can be just as bad for the body. I started out with a long sleeve shirt once again cuz it was a bit chilly, but decided to keep it on more of the day than not since my arms are already hurting. No matter how much I lubed with the sunscreen, it can only do so much and it definitely didn’t keep me from burning. The one good thing, although I’m against it was the helmet law I had to abide by in NY and Vermont. That was probably the one thing that saved my forehead from frying to a golden brown, but if I could fry to a golden brown, than I guess it wouldn’t be a burn now would it?


The toll roads weren’t too bad traveling today and maybe you’ll ask like everyone else here at Tamworth has, but how was the traffic? There wasn’t much traffic especially on the toll road, but once you get on Vermont 7, that’s a whole other story and you don’t want to be following a motor home. I did get stuck behind one about 5 cars back, but the first chance I got on the slow winding road, I tried to pass as many as I could. It’s a bit easier kicking it up on a bike than it is getting the kick from a car, most cars I guess that 2 passes and I was finally by and wanted to make sure I didn’t get caught behind it again so hit it a little faster than the speed limit. Did have a few surprises along the way wondering why everyone was pulling over to let me pass only to finally realize there was a cop coming from behind. On these roads I spend more attention on what’s in front of me than what’s coming up from behind.


I do have to say that the drive from Syracuse NY east is a beautiful drive and if you only know the state of NY by the big apple, you’re missing a lot more it has to offer. I’m glad I took the southern route around the lake because it is really a great ride East and even the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire are great rides. Ok, I won’t be writing my daily happenings since I’m where I’m gonna be relaxing for a few days, but on the return trip, I’ll try to be sure to capture all of the happenings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home