Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Canandaigua New York

Back at Jos’es one year later and it doesn’t look like they’ll have a live band like last time, but once again the place to be if on a bike. Sounds as though they will be shooting off fire works over the lake just outside the door so it you like fire works, that’ll be the thing to do. Another hot day hitting it hard on the pavement so haven’t been taking pictures of the scenery and flying through traffic at 80 miles an hour you gotta catch it fast. That reminds me, if I said my Friday night ride to Colby was uneventful, I forgot about having been pulled over for speeding. Had the cruise set and by time I saw the coper it was too late. A lady trooper who did treat me well, she only gave me a warning and it must’ve been because I was a ‘Colby boy’ as she put it.


Last night turned out to be a lot of fun at the Red Owl Loung and I hadn’t noticed it before, but walls were covered in red shag carpeting. I didn’t ask if they decorated based on the name or named it based on the shag, but at that point, who really cared. There was what seemed to be a family reunion cuz one of the guys I was talking bikes with and his girlfriend had his mother along and eventually his sister which his mother made sure I met showed up, then his niece and wouldn’t you know it, the ex that mom still made sure I met. Guess maybe her mother had an eye for me for her, but sorry mom wasn’t gonna go there. I’ll tell you everyone in the bar were smoking up a storm and the only ones not smoking were 3 other out of towners like myself. I was surprised even when hitting the restaurant that I had to choose smoking or non and if you know me, you’ll know what I chose.


Good thing I had that cheap room next door too because I made a night of it and stayed until they kicked us out which was later than normal since the owners, another couple showed up and joined the family reunion so we all got at least one free one, which was nice. That would also mean not an early start this morning. I did forget to mention that I checked out the plastic covered mattress to make sure there weren’t any bed bugs and i swear they must’ve left that plastic on it from the factory. Good thing the sound of plastic didn’t keep me a wake, but it wasn’t something I expected, but for a cheap motel, maybe I’m expecting too much.


Hit the road about 9 ET and did make pretty good time to Cleveland, but again another hot day that it didn’t seem to matter how much I lubed with the sun screen I could feel the burn coming on. This weeks Rock and Roll hall of fame star was, wait for it, the women of rock and roll. Like usual I didn’t buy a ticket for the full tour because I wanted to make sure I at least made Canandaigua for the night and of course there was another stop I needed to make along the way. That’ll be coming and you might’ve guessed why I headed south on my way out instead of North thru Canada, which will be on my way home.


Only spent half an hour around the rock and roll hall of fame and I needed something to eat that I hit up the hot dog stand on the corner across the street, well, that turned into me almost not getting my polish. When I ordered one he said it’d be a couple of minutes cuz he didn’t have any that were hot enough, but while I was waiting the hot dog patrol showed up to shut him down and the tow was on the way to haul him away. I did talk to this coper and again, they came through for me because I would get my polish before they hauled him away. A couple of run ins with the law and so far, so good, now I just hope not to get pulled over for flying down the road like I have been which I have to say is some awesome riding. Cruising at 80 passing traffic that when I do hit the construction or city traffic and have to slow it down, I feel like I’m crawling along. Nothing like laying back on the bike with the cruise set and just hanging out...that’s what I love about riding.


Ok, enough of that, but the stop I had to make since I chose the route and chose it just for that reason, was the Anchor bar in Buffalo NY, for the original Buffalo wings and once again they didn’t disappoint. Had my usual with the birch beer and this time unlike last year when I was through Buffalo I knew I wasn’t going to make the mistake to try and find cheap accommodations there because I wanted to head East young man...and I’m happy to have made such good time to Canandaigua and now this place is hoping, karaoke night and there’s been some pretty good music picked and some good singers. Isn’t that how many of these boating communities turn out to be on a holiday weekend, nothing but a big party.


Did forget to mention that I got some great directions from this couple that almost parked their bike on top of mine, but they turned out to be ok that I wasn’t gonna complain. They had just come from the Buffalo area and live in Niagara so knew my quickest way to the wing capitol and even though it was hotter than hell (not that I’d know) I had to put on a long sleeve shirt just to cover the burn and tonight, it’s still burnin so lets see what I can fry up at this here bar. Stay tune, hope to be in NH tomorrow and if you’re lucky might see this before than. If not, just stay tune.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home