Saturday, July 02, 2011

Howe Indiana

Howe Indiana


In the Red Owl Lounge with a bunch of drunks and it’s not even 9:00 yet. Howe Indiana someplace in the middle of the state and I only ended up here thanks to mother nature, i’ll get to that in a bit.


Started my trip Friday the 1st after a long week of work and headed as far as Colby, cheese town for dinner with my parents and a couple of hours behind me. Anytime my parents are offering to feed me, especially steak with potato, salad, mushrooms and onions, I’ll make that trip. Relaxed for the night stayin in even though I thought about checking out the Colby bars, but that’ll happen in a couple of weeks when I head back there for Colby Cheese days.


Did get an early start this morning leaving after Strawberry shortcake around 8:30 and gave me time to meet Chris, one of the Wausau crew who you’d know if you read any of my other stories. Figured a stop at the Harley shop on the way through would be a good idea, cuz you never know, could use a new bike and if I find a shop that would give me a good trade on a high mile bike, I just might be riding out with a new one. Probably not, but they’re always nice to look at. Made my way on the fast pavement to Janesville for my usual stop at Kutter’s Harley. Again, if you read any of my other stories, you’d know why. Wasn’t much of a stop since Lucy, the PR lady and Aron the mechanic who helped me out last time weren’t around, it was just a stop to re-lube with sunscreen. Another hot day and it was already getting sticky, good thing I’m riding cuz it is pretty nice with the natural air conditioning, that is until you’re stopped on the freeway for some unknown reason. Good thing I’m on a bike because I can get around any traffic easier than in a car. If it were California, it’d be even easier since they’ll let me white line it out there.


Now things are hopping in this bar since someone just put on Kid Rock’s Rock and Roll Jesus, but the hooker has left the building.


Ok, back to the trip and how I ended up in Howe Indiana. Well, did hit a stop and go about 10 miles south of Janesville and when finally made it past the cop who had someone pulled over at the top of the hill, saw it was because of a caulker slowdown. Some sort of vehicle emergency that they had someone laid out in the median and it was hot that I can’t imagine that was a very good place for someone having some kind of attack. It was a good thing I was heading South, cuz even on the way to Janesville the traffic heading North was slow, all those F.I.Bs heading North to God’s country...and if you don’t know what a F.I.B. is, well, let’s just say it’s some sort of bastard.


Did get around Chicago pretty quick taking the I39 to 88 and I355 around to 80 east, but I have no idea what it is, but one I hit the Indiana state line the traffic was stop and go once again. Did see the overhead saying slow traffic for the next 10 miles, but it is absolutely ridiculous that it’s stop and go for 10 miles, where the road either takes you south thru Indiana or North to Detroit. I did figure out my way around faster than the others and again, it’s only because of being on a bike, maybe I feel I get away with a little more than usual. Well, what I figured out was stay in the right lane and when I hit an on ramp, hit it until the last minute for all of the exits only. No one else using the lane that I might as well, bet you it saved me some time.

Now to Howe Indiana. Hit it hard again once I was on I80 through Indiana and there wasn’t much traffic to deal with, finally. Was able to make some pretty good time and thought about stopping into South Bend to visit everyone I met at Notre Dame last year, but with the threat of weather in the area and some ominous clouds around the city, decided to keep heading East. It looked good ahead and I thought with the time I was making that I’d shoot for Toledo for the night. Not sure what Toledo has to offer, but it sound like a new adventure and Toledo being on the lake, maybe a nice stop. Well, about 20 miles east of South Bend saw some pretty heavy lightning, but kept pressing on cuz I swear I saw a break in the clouds. Hit the rain soon and made the mistake of taking an exit off the toll road which I thought I’d be able to find a hotel at since it was just sprinkling, but guess what, gotta head 12 miles West to the nearest town and 15 miles toward the storm for the next. I did see a sign for a storage area 3 miles down the road that I headed in that direction hoping for a garage or overhang to find. Well, guess what, nothing to take coverage under and the storm was on me. I pulled over under the nearest tree, but that didn’t do anything for me nor the bike, started getting soaked and only stopped it a little once I put on my wet leathers. Thank God for good leathers that are built to keep me dry even if they get wetter than all get out. It was a good idea that I did stop even if I was getting wet cuz it was strong winds and sure enough hail...which reminds me of the first time I dumped my bike in Myrtle Beach when I first got the bike hoping to save my bike from the hail. This wasn’t as bad, but enough to wait it out.


Finally less rain and made it back on the toll road to pull under an overpass to let it clear a little before heading East. I did have a trooper stop by and visit, and according to him, LaGrange was the exit to take for a hotel about 20 miles up the road, but they had thunderstorm warnings until 7:45. I didn’t figure that out right way since my bike was telling me 5:30, but that’s right, I’ve already lost my hour for the day. Ok, back on the road, the LaGrange exit and according to the toll collector, the Pioneer is the cheapest motel in town, and that’s for sure... not even an owner that understands English, or maybe it was just me not understanding her. Well, guess what’s next door, sure enough the Red Owl Lounge and a restaurant across the street that had an ok prime rib, and according to Lee, one of the drunks celebrating his 52nd birthday, Indiana is the place for beef. Maybe not Howe’s restaurants version, but I’ve heard it before, about the Inidana beef. BTW, one of the few states that still has smoking in the bars and restaurants...with a smoking just sittin down next to me at the bar.


Oh well, Howe Indiana for the night and tomorrow I’ll hit Sturgis on my East...Sturgis Michigan that is just 4 miles up the road. And the talk of the night is the twin tower beam that went through town on the way to Elkhart Indiana with thousands of bikes following it. That might explain why someone asked me if I was one of the bikers following the beam.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home