Thursday, August 05, 2010

Tamworth New Hampshire

I’m home, at least home for the week and made it in 3 days of hard riding saving the best for last. I took freeway and toll ways as far as was worth it without going too far out of my way, but once I made it to Albany NY, it was time to get off the fast pavement and travel the scenic roads of Vermont and New Hampshire which are great roads for a bike ride. For the third day in a row I woke up to what looked like rain and according to the forecast that’s just what can be expected in the East. Well, I decided to think positive so packed up the rain gear and strapped it to the bike instead of putting it on and it turned out to be a good call. I left just late enough that what ever was suppose to have gone through to the East was long gone by the time I got there.


Ok, how’bout I start by finishing off what happened last night at Jos’e with the band and crowd. After finishing my story I packed up the computer so I could enjoy meeting people and there were plenty of things I learned about Canandaigua that I never would have known, that it’s one of the finger lakes of New York, something which the state is known for (other than the Empire state) which I’ve never heard and my only question was, are the lakes connected to look like a hand or was it someone coming up with a catchy phrase to advertise the area and I do believe the second is true, they are not connected but someone thought they looked like 5 fingers on a hand that they called them the finger lakes. I did make it to bar time and I know it’s not something to brag about, but now I see how all of those old time bikers can drink as much as they do and get on a bike and still ride...it’s a sobering experience when you only have 2 wheels to depend on and I’m sure the years and miles of riding help somewhat. For me, it’s making sure I stop drinkin alcohol far enough in advance to sober up before the ride, depending on the distance.


As for the ride today I got an early enough start after a late night and there was a Dunkin Donut next door that I had to have a little something in my tummy before hitting the road. The one thing I don’t do a very good job of while riding is making stops to eat or drink, especially when I have a destination to make and I’d really like to get to Tamworth before the day is out. Good company and a bed I can call mine for a week. Well the toll road wasn’t much to write about, but once again my cruise was set faster than most and I cannot believe how many of the slower traffic refuse to move over into the slow lane, especially with all of the signs suggesting otherwise, but there was this one chick who couldn’t decide how fast to go that she finally pissed me off enough that I had to put some distance between me and her. I have no problems following someone who is going faster than me and keeps the distance but when there speed is up and down, I need my fresh air.


Now for the best part saved for last, the roads of Vermont, hwy 7 and New Hampshire 9 that is marked in the Harley Davidson Atlas as roads in the states worth riding and they are very beautiful rides through the Andarandack mountains of the region. This route takes a little longer than finding freeways, but it is more direct and twisty turny roads with brooks and streams running along the roads and the one thing with my bike, I think it gets much better gas mileage in the mountains than the plains of the Midwest. I was a little disappointed that the city of Bennington which I had passed through a couple of years ago didn’t have all of the statue figures on the streets. At the time it looked like people working or walking the streets of downtown Bennington that it was pretty funny to see. This year they had decorated Moose on some of the street corners and sorry to say, no pictures of those this year. Maybe I’ll have to post my pictures from the previous trip so you can see what I missed.


I did happen to make a stop for a snack once I realized there was no problem getting to my destination before it got dark, but it was only for an ice cream cone in Vermont. Not that their ice cream is any better than back home, but it just sounded good at the time. From there it was off to Concord where I did catch some freeway 93 heading North and I knew which route I wanted to take, but the gas attendant at my stop for gas in Concord suggested a different route. Well, I was determined to take mine since according to the HD Atlas (remember, scenic roads to ride) had my path marked and not his. I should have looked at the map closer and what exist I wanted to take because the road I needed wasn’t the one I’d exit onto so I ended up about 15 miles North of my mark before pulling off and rechecking the map, that was with asking someone about directions too, which someone has already mentioned to me how guys never stop to ask for directions, well, I’m not most guys and will if I need them, especially depending on who might be giving them.


I hit’er hard back the 15 extra miles and the route I had chosen was definitely a beautiful ride along the mountain lakes of New Hampshire. More twisty turny roads through the woods and this time instead of brooks and streams it was a lake chain to ride next too. I did find the place I stopped at a couple years back, the Smoke House for some grub cuz it was about dinner time and needed something before getting to the cabin and relaxing for the week. Oh, and I know how to get to the cabin from the Smoke House better than other traveling markers along the way. Some good baby backs and it was off to the cabin (family summer home) and great to be greeted by most while driving up the driveway. If I can get pictures posted you’ll see the place I’m talking about and maybe, some old pictures from previous visits might be worth seeing.


As usual my place in the dungeon (basement cots and beds) are awaiting me and apparently there will need to be a family vote later this week to see whether I get to venture to the second or third levels of this house. Hey, for the time being I have no problems with a bed in the basement and a cold beer to help me sleep...and that’s why it feels like home, at least for a week. Next blog may be the adventures of the week, one of which I’m sure will involve a climb of Mount Chocura and it it’s anything like a couple of years ago, I’ll be a hurtin unit when it’s all said and done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home