Saturday, July 19, 2008

Toronto, ON, July 19th

Toronto, Ontario and I am back in Canada. As soon as I crossed the border into Ontario, I was back to signs that I could read and understand that is except for kph, still working on that calculation. I wasn’t sure whether this is where I was going to end up because when I called number of places about a bed for the night, they were all full that do I really want to end up in a big city with no place to stay. Well, there’s more to the story and why I did push on.

First, lets finish the night in Montreal which was a lot of fun. After talking with Genevieve and Gabrielle for awhile, it was time for me to move on a check out some of the other bars. Plenty of bars along St Denis, and you have to remember how they pronounce the name in French, don’t pronounce the ‘s’ so sounds like Deni, no wonder I’ve had such a tough time trying to figure out what name of streets they’ve been telling me all along. They did the same thing to me, the name thing when mentioning some other bars that I should visit, but I don’t think I found what the real feel of Montreal might be, that’s visiting clubs which I didn’t stop into. A difference between what they do in Canada and what I’m use to, especially with the Wisconsin connection where you just belly up to the bar and get to know everyone else in the bar. Before the night was over I was back to visit, Alian, Gabrielle and Genevieve for some more brew and talk.

The other thing I didn’t capture well with some of the pictures from last night were the number of downpours that happened during the night. You could see people scrambling to find a dry place, that because of that, I wasn’t too interested in straying away too far. I did remain dry and back to the hostel for a nights sleep, in a room with plenty of bunks. Well, at least I had a bed and again, I can’t be too picky, especially last night when there are 14 guys sharing a room. Let’s just say it smelled a bit rip in the room this morning that I was happy to move on. Ok, this is where calling for a room comes into place because when I found out there weren’t any in Toronto for the night, I asked the hot receptionist if I could stay for another night, which she said, oui, but when I asked if she’d join me out, at least I didn’t get a flat out no, but an excuse. I guess it’s time for me to move on and try to decide what route I’m gonna take home.

Bike packed and showered and I was happy to be moving on because once again, I needed to be on the pavement with the cruise set just flying down the road to blow all of my thoughts or worries away. No worries, but I might as well shoot for Toronto. I might have a bit of a route figured out and when I stopped at the visitors center in Ontario and asked whether the cops would give me a hard time for sleeping on a park bench, she said probably not for one night and even mentioned a park I could try, and possibly hide a tent. With that, no reason not to push on and today, I decided to take the scenic route. No reason to hit it hard for the ride toward home, that there are still plenty of beautiful sights that I should see, so today was riding along the St Lawrence Seaway and around the north side of Lake Ontario.

There was one stretch, the 1000 island drive that the lady from the visitor’s centers suggested and I could see why. I didn’t capture it as well as I could have, but there were quite a few little islands just big enough for a house on it. Or some of the islands, they built the house according to the size of the island so I saw small houses on small islands and large houses on the larger islands. It was definitely something else to see. Oh, and there was some kind of event going on along the route that the cops were doing traffic control for the parking and one of them stopped me? He had to talk to me about my helmet which like he said, we both no it’s not legal and that I probably have a legal one in my pack that I should be putting on. Like I told him, since I come from a state with no helmet law, I’ve never put the money into buying a DOT approved and I wouldn’t be able to fit it in my pack when I don’t have to wear it. I thought I was going to get a ticket for sure this time, but I guess I might’ve talked my way out of it again.

The scenic route was definitely worth taking, but as soon as I got closer to Toronto and saw the rain coming, back onto the highway it was, or in these parts, they call it the express way. I thought I might not get wet since I seemed to be following the storm as it was going through, but I must’ve exceeded that kph that I caught up to it about 80 klicks out of Toronto so had to suit up, in the rain gear that is. I did decide to stop for a bit and wait for the storm to push through and it’s a good thing I did. Not only did I find out from some of the other bikers heading in the general direction that they found out it’s clearing up, but I decide to try a number of the hostels in Toronto to see if they’ve had any cancelations. No luck, but when I did talk to Cat, you got it, another one, this one with a ‘C’, she said she has rooms available that she can’t check anyone in until after 9:00 that she’ll hold one for me. That’ll work out great, and again, can’t be too picky cuz as long as I can get outta the rain with a bed to sleep in and a shower to wakeup to, that’ll work for me.

Checked in, cleaned up and ready to see the town, but one problem I’ve just encountered which I hope won’t make a difference, the alarm on my bike isn’t working that if someone messes with what I still have packed on it, the alarm won’t scare them away. Yaw, it’s only my sleeping bag and tent, but I’d rather not have it ripped off. Ok, down to Queen Street for something to each which was the Rock parlor. One of those clubs they talk about which is getting real busy and see that line outside? I get to go to the front of the line when I get back, I made sure of it with security and something I noticed is how all the male waiters’ call me boss. Sure I don’t mind being called boss, but I miss the hon from those sweet female waitresses.

Time to head out and see what kind of stories I can scare up before the night is over with.

Scenic pics

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home