Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Aberdeen, NS, July 15th

No you didn’t read it wrong, I’m back in Aberdeen Nova Scotia and how could I pass up another night without visiting Kat. I had a great time last time that I’m sure to find the same tonight, and tonight this place is full. More on that in a minute.

Today wasn’t about the ride, but getting the bike serviced, getting some cloths cleaned and getting some rest that was definitely lost last night. The ferry ride wasn’t fery comfortable, but that wasn’t only because of the bumpy ride, but the lounge area was cold and I didn’t even think about packing a jacket. I did get my name on a waiting list, but my chances on scoring a bed a page later are pretty slim. I did find out one of the bikers that I did have a bite to eat, was third in line so had one of those bunks to crash on. Me, I laid back one of the lounge chairs to see about sleeping, but again, because of the cold didn’t get much sleep if any.

Once we docked and got to head downstairs to unstrap the bikes, I found where all the heat had been, it was below deck. Oh well, to late now that a relaxing day to get reorganized for the return trip home may be just what my weary body needs. Off the ferry bright and early this morning, about 6:00 Nova Scotia time and although I got half an hour back, it didn’t feel like much. By the way, that lady in the red bandana waiting for the ferry door is a RMCP, you know Royal Canadian Mounted Police and I wouldn’t even think about messing around with that, it could hurt. I did find out talking to her at the same Harley shop in Sydney that most were visiting, that she’ll take the 5 hour ferry ride to get her bike serviced instead of riding the 10 hour trip to St Johns, well you know what I’d do, I’d o wherever I can get the best service.

And why I ended up at the same Harley shop is because it’s the only one on Cape Breton and my bike is in need of oil and filter change as well as a few other things getting checked out to make sure I can get home. They were able to get me in right away and some of that thanks to another police officer I met while waiting for the shop to open, Don, one of the CBRPS, you know the Cape Breton Regional Police Service and he’s not a police officer, but a Constable, now that’s cool. He did suggest a ride I should do as well as visiting Baddeck and for as tired as I was feeling for not sleeping on the ferry, Baddeck was the thing to do and with the Alexander Graham Bell museum, it’s definitely worth a visit. I did visit the museum, but didn’t pay the money to go through it because they were just taking a tour around in French and the next English tour was gonna be 3 hours later, that I have other things to do.

The other thing I thought I haven’t done and the old man at the gas station suggested, was trying one of those Nove Scotia lobsters that he had just the place for me, the Lyndway, good food at a good priced and he was right, The Marine lobster platter you see in front of me, which included steamed mussels was only $20 and for what lobster costs elsewhere, this is a great price. Oh and Murdena, she was full of stories today, trying to explain why her legs looked messed up the way they did, because of a bike accident her and her husband had while riding the Cabot trail. Now why do you think a waitress would just start telling me a biking story unless maybe I fit the part?

Today was about relaxing and apparently it was a good thing I called Kat this morning to see if she would have a bed for me because the place was filling up quick. For me it’s gonna be about getting some laundry done and trying to catch up on some well needed rest that I wasn’t able to get on the ferry that Kat already has the hammock setup for me. After a shave and shower to get cleaned up after yesterdays long right, it was great just lying around doing nothing, that was until it started raining, that I think I picked a good day not to pound the pavement. Kat and I had a great talk and I have to tell you, I really enjoy staying at these hostels because of the people that I meet. So many different people from different places with different stories that it’s great when you realize we all have one thing in common, to live life to its fullest. I could try to go through all of the stories of the people I have met like I did last night, but it’s their story that we’ll leave it as such tonight.

Ok, I forgot to mention just how different Newfoundland/Labrador is from making a trip from the Most Southerly tip of the island to the Most Northerly as well as Labrador, and the Most Westerly point of the island to the Most Easterly point of the entire continent, and they are all worth seeing, The southwest is mountainous with some great rivers running through, the north is flat and baron with some brutal winds blowing through, the middle is warm with some nasty winds blowing through and the Most Easterly point it brutal to get to with the nasty cape winds blowing through, but probably one of the prettiest areas you’ll see on the island. Wait, I liked what I saw in the southwest and St Johns was all about the partying and those hot Canadian women I’ve been looking for.

Now for a little partying with all of those who are here and thanks to Kat I have a hostel in Quebec City and Montreal already lined up. Someone was telling me that I really need to party in both to see just how different they are, so now that I have accommodations, the only thing left to do is PEI, you know Prince Edward Island to complete my North American tour.

Day of relaxation pics

1 Comments:

Blogger dw said...

hey dale, awesome stories, i really enjoyed reading them,glad to hear everything worked out at ramseys, anyhow, good luck on your journey and maybe we'll run into each other again,drop a line some time, your constable friend in cape breton .DW (constable72@hotmail.com)

7/16/2008 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home