Monday, July 07, 2008

Bar Harbor, Maine July 7th

Ba Habah, Maine at the same bah I was at a couple of yea’s ago, Geddy’s. Ok, for those not from Maine it’s actually Bar Harbor even though, membah, they don’t ponounce the ‘R’s around heya. Can you imagine how hard that would be trying to type without the ‘R’s just to capture the accent, but I hear it all around me right now?

Well, I got a late start, but Tamworth and the Mathew’s mountain home is definitely a great place to relax. When I did finally get up I did beat the slave driver, George the IV up and did ask what I should get done before showering and getting ready to ride that I think he must’ve had a change over the night, maybe that night mare I scared into him, but he was nice to me this morning and even made me a fruit smoothie…thanks George and I don’t care what anyone else says about you…I know you mean well.

I had hoped to get an earlier, but figured Bar Harbor was only a 4 hour drive that I had plenty of time, even with a stop at L.L. Bean to get setup with a dry compression sack. I know how it sounds, but it’s definitely the kind of sack I need for a sleeping bag. Anyway, once I did get ready George III was down swimming in the lake which definitely would have been worth doing this morning for as humid as it was. Glad I got sent down to the dungeon again (pictures attached) cuz it was the coolest place in the house, both cool because I got to stay there as well as temp – hey someone has to pump me up and if it’s gotta be me, well, so be it.

We took that same family photo with Mt Chocorua in the back ground and although I told everyone to line up the same as we had before, that didn’t quite turn out. Now if you need me to name the people in the pictures, then you didn’t meet them along the way like you should have that you should know their names by now.

I was on my way before noon, eastern and sometimes I still feel like I’m on Central time since I haven’t figured out how to get this new phone to show the time zone I’m in and it’s not that easy to change the time on my bike as I’m cruising down the road that it’s still set on Central time. George IV did point out that New Foundland was another half hour that it just might screw me up a bit more, but I just have to go by the sun and not worry about the time, right? wrong, too many places that close early that you better make sure you get there before they close.

The ride to Portland was the same as before and I know, sometimes I wonder how I ended up in Oregon when I’m actually in Maine. I had a tougher time finding the water this time to dip my boot and really hoped to dip both of the Janesville tires to introduce them to the Atlantic, but I probably would’ve had a tough time backing it down the boat ramp without going to far, and I can handle running out of gas, but I don’t need to flood the thing. I did find the same park I did last time so you can see the ocean behind the bike, or at least the bay and I did get to dip a boot so I’ve hit the east coast, of America that is and am only going to continue further east to see Canada.

Because of the time and a later start I skipped the lobster lunch at Rockland and for those that forgot, one of the ports that catch the most lobster, but only one restaurant in town that serves lobster, the marina. Well the trip was great and with the humidity and temps up the way they are in the area, it was a beautiful ride along the ocean because it was definitely air conditioned and I didn’t even have to use the ACC on my bike. You got it, I do have ACC that when it gets too hot I can just turn it on. Along the way I took a left when I should’ve taken a right so I did have to stop and ask for directions to get back on track and I don’t understand why people have such a hard time stopping and asking for directions cuz for me, I meet some pretty interesting people, like the construction workers in Portland who were all excited to give me their own version of pretty much the same directions.

I did make it to L.L. Bean and thanks to Pam and Frank, they set me up with the dry compression sack I was telling you about and when I showed up, I pulled out my sleeping bag from the busted sack and asked them to show me how to pack it. Well, it was a learning not only for me, but Frank’s training that he might’ve gotten the hang of it by now. She did tell me I shouldn’t wrap it, but compress it, but with the bag I get to blow up all the time, wrapping might be better than compressing…now I just have to camp to use it one of these times.

I finally made it to Bar Harbor and had to scope out where I need to catch the Cat since it’s gonna be an early morning and I was really hoping to just pull out my sleeping bag and crash for the night, but I guess that wouldn’t be such a good idea. I did checkout a few camping sites and the going rate was $45, that when I found Robbins Motel close by for only $58, he gave me my lucky number for the night, 16. You definitely get what you pay for, but all I need is a bed and shower as well as saving myself time from packing my camp gear that this’ll work. Got cleaned up and went to have another one of those Maine lobsters that with it, I tried their Crab dip and crackers which was awesome.

And finally, that puts me here at Geddy’s and with a high speed connection I got to spend some time checking my emails and replying now that Outlook is working for me again. Thanks to Bree and Brittany for saving a place at the bar for me and Shawn for serving me all of these drinks that I don’t need before getting back on the bike…ya, these root beers are really hitting me and yes, I did cheat and had a couple of alcoholic beers, but I figured 2 for 2 isn’t so bad.

Nova Scotia here I come.

Maine Pix

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home