Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What a Wonderful World, Sept 17th

Today is the last day of my travels around the country that it’ll be a great way to end it -with great friends. The group decided they would ride with me for a bit in search of what it is I wasn’t meant to find a few days earlier, that I’m bound to find it today…more on that later. Got a great start to the day with Sandy’s Blueberry pancakes and I have really been spoiled with the hospitality of Dale and Sandy as well as the others this weekend, that I very much appreciate it and really feel like part of the group…hopefully I can return the favor someday. They all made me feel special this weekend and I was really glad to hear how they were all tracking my travels around the country and enjoying the stories. Some the pictures more than the writing, but John promised he’d do a little more reading that you’ll find there’s a lot more there than you thought. Finally got signed to kitchen duty and I really should’ve been on it all weekend for not having brought anything but me and my stories, but want to help out anyway I can. Dale captured a few pictures of me packing my bike which is something you never saw on the road, but I got pretty good at it for as often as I had to do it on the road, that a weekend pack is nothing. Not as much weight on the back as my travels that had room for a rider, but hey, that’s where things change pretty quick…I think of where I was last year and where I am now and everyone else has to go to work tomorrow, where me? get to still play…ok, not really since in have to start looking for a job, but at least I can sleep in.

Got the annual group picture missing a few from last year, but me being part of the picture two years in a row, especially having been on the road for as many days as I was is a great way to end my journey this year. Hit the road saying my goodbye’s to the cabin, but with the crew riding with me in search of that geological marker I wasn’t meant to find, felt pretty special having friends like them along for the ride. Saw some beautiful country and you can see the colors are really starting to pop that it won’t be long that all the colors’ll be popping out. That means one thing, a ride north in a few weeks to see the colors of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin popping the way they normally do and like anything else I’ve seen on my journey, no better way to see it than on a motorcycle. Ok, I’m sure you’ve heard enough on that, but for anyone who hasn’t experienced it that way and wants to, just let me know and you might be in…yep, gender has a lot to do with it, but at least now you know what candidates I will look at accepting. More dirt roads to ride, but like any other dirt road I’ve rode on my travels, sometimes you have to get off the main road to see sites that many miss and again, more beautiful country in the north woods.

Made our way to Lovers Lane with means only one thing, we’re really close to that marker I’ve been in search for since Thursday, but I need gas that it’ll just have to wait. Not a problem because although we’ll have to back track, the gas station is only about 7 miles down the road, that I should be able to make that, right? well, right this time cuz I didn’t want to have to ride ‘bitch’ again to get gas…once on this trip and on a crotch rocket of all things was enough for me. Ok, the geologically marker I was in search for and it was right where I couldn’t find it, in the middle of a corn field. Me having rode gravel the other day was way too far, but for some reason I wasn’t meant to find it, maybe because it’s the 45th Parallel of Latitude and as long as I wasn’t 45 yet, not my time? Well, whatever it was, today was my time to find it and with my friends with me that this birthday weekend has been great. Ok, just like my visit to the four corners where I was able to straddle 4 states, remember that, June 1st, day 25 of my travels? Today I got to straddle North, South, East and West - right hand north, that you should be able to figure out what part of me is where from there.

Was going to join the group for lunch at Rib Lake because didn’t want to make a stop on the way home to early that started heading north, but by the time we hit 64, drizzle that time to put on the rain gear that I decided to head west. Home James, cuz I’ve done enough riding in the rain, especially in Alaska, that don’t need to do that much more of it. Well, made my way West and it started clearing up that was going to stop to see about that ride I promised someone earlier this spring, but thought against it that a warning call might be appropriate. Ok, so the call didn’t work, but when someone can’t answer your calls, I think you get the message loud and clear…stay out of my life!

Made it home with the bike packed as light as when I left, that these weekend rides were a lot easier to pack for than the ride around the country and although I complained, well, maybe not complained, but talked about how much I got rained on in Alaska, still an unbelievable journey, that if you ever get the chance, definitely something you should take full advantage of. As for stats, well, tried to put them together tonight, but have too many to list that will come with a final blog listing them. I would like to thank all of the wonderful people I met along the road and a special thanks to all who helped me out in one way or another…well, just meeting you helped me out that thank you. To all that have been keeping up with my travels or checked out my blog because of me meeting you along the road, please send me an email – and if you have a little green card, let me know where and when you got it.

What God has blessed us with in life is unbelievable, that although I’ve only seen this great free country we’re lucky to live in, there is a lot more world, wonderful people and life to live that my journey of life will continue…like Louis Armstrong says;

‘I see trees of green........ red roses tooI see em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going byI see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do
Theyre really sayin......i love you.

I hear babies cry...... I watch them growTheyll learn much more.....than Ill never knowAnd I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are there on the faces.....of people ..going byI see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you doTheyre really sayin...(I ....love....you).

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow(you know their gonna learnA whole lot more than Ill never know)And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world’.

DaleJ.

Final Journey Pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN! Welcome home. Maybe I'll see you on the road.... John

9/20/2006 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concur.....what a wonderful world!......Welcome home

9/22/2006 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home