Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Happy Birthday to me, Sept. 16th

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME…and if you didn’t figure that out a couple of days ago, shame on you and it already looks like it’s gonna be a great birthday. Ok, maybe a little rainy, but nothing soaking and that means more time to spend down where all the fun is going on and did we have fun. Made our way down to Sara Park where all the action is going on rain free and had a great pancake breakfast put on by the Tomahawk girls hockey which haven’t had their first game yet, but hopefully what they made on this pancake breakfast will give them a great start. We didn’t have to deal with the rain until we got done with breakfast and since there’s a lot happening around here we might as well stay until it clears enough to either ride for the day or head back to the cabin. Well, with waiting and trying to stay dry comes doing a little shopping which is just what we did until I notice Lara setting up a camera looking for a story. Ok, I have a story for you, how about someone who has probably traveled further than any one else at the rally. She asked where I was from where I said St Paul Minnesota, originally from Colby Wisconsin and she said that’s not very far, but like I told her, this is 132 days later and over 37,000 miles that I might have just captured her attention. She works for channel 12 news out of Rhinelander an NBC affiliate that needed to find a couple of stories from the rally and like I told her, ‘I have stories for you’. Got the interview I was looking for and hopefully I’ll be on the 10 o’clock news tonight that if you get Rhinelander, check it out.

One thing I notice and although I got change to get a can of pop was the whole idea behind allowing people to pay on an honor system. Something I had seen throughout the country and maybe didn’t report on, but there were a number of places that practiced it and when I talked to them about it they never had a problem with people not paying that normally people paid more because they might not have change and didn’t want to dip that they sometimes made more than what was sold. Now I think that is something worth noting and something that would be great if you could do that all the time, trust that people will be honest and always pay you that you don’t have to worry about getting screwed. That reminds me of the most generous place for being honest about paying your bill and that was a little breakfast nook in Juneau where they didn’t have a till nor did they give you a bill, but there was just a bucket with money in it that you would throw in what you owed and take out whatever change you needed, I know I left more than what I needed to, but what the hell, if their gonna trust me like that, I’m gonna be trustworthy.

Ok, back to the Tomahawk rally and there’s not much better to do than sit and listen to a good band on a rainy day and do a lot of people watching which is just what we did. Got to meet Tracy, who took care of the beers for us, up from Milwaukee being a good daughter serving beers for her dad’s beer stand – that we’ll see how good a daughter she is. We probably spent more time at Sara Park than we needed, but when Dale and Sandy headed back to the cabin in the rain and came back in the rain although we said it was nice where we were, we knew we better wait until it all blows over that a ride today is probably out of the question and why Dale and Sandy wanted to get wet both ways, we’ll never know now will we? Did a lot of people watching and I remember telling the group at one point that I see a lot of lost souls out there. They enjoy the riding and belonging to a clan like this, but they still haven’t had a ride like I have that really reaches the soul. Ok, so I have a hard time trying to explain it, but it’s like a bunch of sheep following what you think you should be following than becoming your own Sheppard and setting your own direction in life…what an analogy, huh?

Like I told you a couple of days ago with my picture in the Leinenkugel chair, the one bigger than life, I’m gonna get my picture taken on it with a couple of hot chicks with is just what I did with Sabrina and Nicole. So, they were part of the Leinenkugel, 104 blaze and had Miller patches on, but when the guys started lining up to have their pictures taken with them in the chair, they said nope, not unless it’s your birthday like mine that they really made me feel lucky. I said my goodbyes to Sara Park cuz won’t be back until next years rally that time to head back to the cabin and you can see there was a little problem on the highway, opposite of where we were going, but heard later that it was a high speed chase with weapons involved that that’s why they can explain all the squad cars. Hey, check out the thrown in the cabin, the second toilet in the workshop which definitely makes it a great ‘man-thrown’ and check out the view from the 3-season porch while relaxing, what a beautiful view the beginning of fall. Well, Chris and I decided to take a ride to see some of the beauty around us to share who can’t be here before the party gets started that what unbelievable views and this isn’t even mountain country or Alaska, but that’s where you appreciate the beauty God has given us in life no matter where we look for it.

Once again, a great meal, but when I say that, didn’t necessarily share last years experience with you which was my first visit to Tomahawk and my second introduction to steaks cooked over a wood fire…experienced that one other time last summer that as far as I remember, it’s all good that once Larry prayed for fire, John cooked up some great steaks that you can see the crew that enjoyed it all. Ok, didn’t have anyone else to take the picture like last year, that this year it’s me sharing who’s celebrating my birthday with me and thanks to all of them for remembering…and before the night was over, my birthday wish came true – thank you very much for making my birthday, I’ll never forget it. Ok, so I may be old enough to know better, but still too young to care, that hey, as long as I wake up breathing it’s gonna be a great day cuz none of us know where life will lead us, and every day is a new adventure. Birthday Pictures.

To see the news story click the link; Riding Cross Country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home