Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eagan MN, Sept 13th

Ok, hadn’t planned on a blog today, but have to keep you up to date and dialed in to my travels since I have a few more days to go before this part of my journey, hopefully around the world is complete. There were a couple of things that happened to me today that felt it needed to be written and shared with those of you who have been keeping up with my travels…and for those who have, thanks much for coming along for the ride.
Well the way things started today was out of my comfort zone, after paying a few bills and getting caught up on things around the house that needed to be taken care of, drove my car for the first time in many days and felt pretty uncomfortable doing so. First thing was, I wasn’t use to not being able to see everything around me that while backing out of the driveway, thought for sure I’d hit something since my vision is impaired…ok, have 20/15 vision, but again, can’t see everything around me in a car as I can on a bike. Made it ok, no one nor anything to hit that escaped the cult sac without incident, but what an experience since I’ve been on a bike as long as I have. Met my friends Jim and Nan for lunch at a place I haven’t been to in years, the Best Steakhouse. Ok, one of those quick lunch places that the best steak today was ground Sirloin, but still a good piece of meat.

Oh and another reason that I thought about writing this blog is because of some of the songs I heard along my ventures today, in the car that is, but one of them was Johnny Cash’s ‘I’ve been every where Man’, cuz after starting to look at pictures from the start of this trip…I have been every where – man. Lunch was great and especially since it was free, thanks Jim for picking up my lunch, but some people know how it is on those of us that don’t work that they’re always willing to help any way they can. More errands to run and since I was looking for a pair of shorts for lunch, thought for sure something happened to my carpenter shorts until I realized I had a package from Sturgis to pick up from Tom that made my way to Madison Supply to get what I left over a month ago. Not a problem finding it either cuz like Tom said, they haven’t done anything in the trailer since getting back that everything was still where I had stashed it that ok, there they are, those carpenter shorts I was looking for and the rest of the warm weather clothing I left behind for Alaska.

The rest of the day was errands and thanking the neighbors for taking such good care of my place while I was gone that have a lot more people to thank for making my travels easier than they otherwise could have been, that you know what I’ll be busy with next week…that is other than looking for a job. Had to get the bike washed for this weekend and I’m happy to report that the bug remover does work…should’ve gotten a picture of what the ‘bug bike’ looked like before the wash, but didn’t, so just trust me, there were enough bugs that the headlight even on high beem was lower than low beam – how’ bout that for a description. Did my packing for the trip to Tomahawk and had to get something to eat the ended up at my favorite bar again, wait, went to El Loro for a little Mexican before ending up at Old Chicago, but haven’t had Mexican for awhile. Ok, that brings me to the other reason for writing this blog, was looking back at pictures from the start of this trip and that Johnny Cash song from earlier definitely sticks, ‘I’ve been every where man’, that now all I have to do is list the cities I’ve been thru like he does in the song. Another reason for the blog is, although this trip started 128 days ago, give or take a few, just looking at the pictures brought back a lot of memories, both good and bad of what was going thru my head some of the days on the road, that it’s unbelievable how some things just stick with you the way they do, because I realized looking at day 10, hell, only 10 days into the trip was the last time I talked to someone who was very important in my life, that 118 days later – just a memory. Oh well, life goes on and I know this trip has been for me to find myself that I’m no longer looking at that door of happiness that closed on me, but looking at the one which has opened…if you don’t remember, check out the blog from June 26th for Helen Keller’s quote. Tomorrow on the road to Wisconsin and hopefully my driving privilege in the state has been renewed; remember the problems I had with that speeding ticket which was reduced to faulty equipment and what happened not paying the bill in time…hell on the road and a whole other story that I’ll have to share sometime. Four more days and can hardly wait to get on the bike to see what Tomahawk has to bring…oh and don’t’ forget someone’s bday – mine. No pics today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home