Friday, September 08, 2006

Smithers British Columbia, Sept 6th

Smithers British Columbia at the Aldenhorn Pub and Bistro and tonight, the bar service is terrible. Has me wondering whether a waitress like this can make enough money working this job or not, might be time to look for a different job honey. They have all these rules too and you know me when it comes to rules, see what you can get away with. Well, my walk from getting Hyderized to the B&B was without incident…ok, may have labeled the picture with bear in front of me, but I don’t think I’d be taking a picture with flash if I did see one – was trying to get a picture of how bad that potholes were which showed up better in the picture of me leaving Hyder…and that took longer than I wished. Since Jo, Steve and Dave told me I should really checkout the glacier just past Fish Creek and it’s only 10 miles past, figured I might as well see the worlds 5th largest glacier myself so setout left…don’t know where north south east or west are from the B&B, but did know I had to go left toward the glacier that right isn’t always right. I knew the first 5 miles to Fish Creek were going to be bad road, but Jo had assured me that after that, the road was much better….well, they must have taken a different road than me, because it doesn’t get any better and in some spots was even worse.

Ok, enough complaining cuz like we learned yesterday, sometimes you have to take the bad roads to see what others don’t see and today, it was that much more of a challenge taking it by bike, but again, no better way to see the country than on a bike, right? So I’ll take another day getting rattled to the bones and for the sites I saw, they were pretty amazing. Even though I didn’t get to stand on the glacier, it was unbelievable seeing how it is flowing thru the valley and with the lines in it, looks like it gets groomed, you know plowed, like the roads should be, to go in a certain direction, It’s amazing how these glaciers move thru these valleys and what they are leaving behind, that never having seen a glacier before, I love seeing new ones along the way. Well, just the 15 mile trek out to the glacier and past took me well over an hour that at some point, have to turn around. That was only after checking a tunnel out and although I could see light at the other end decided to drive around instead of thru…not that I could have drover thru, but probably could have walked it, but hey, getting late enough that I have to see what’s at the end of the road. Ok, so a road I never did make to the end, but according some guys that were setting to do some blasting in the area, nothing but logging trails further and they don’t take you anywhere that now is as good a time as any to turn back and I was happy to hear that.

Although it took over an hour to get out to the glacier and past, I was not going to take my time getting back that took that much more of a rattle on the way back. By this time I had figured out on my way once which side of the road looks smoother back that tried that and although I didn’t miss all the potholes, sometimes if you go over them fast enough, they don’t feel so bad….and not as bad for me as I lift myself off the seat while the bike takes a beating, but that’s what a warranty is for, right? Was already lunch time, yep, the trip out and back took over 2 hours that since the bus had some awesome Mermaid Chowder, figured that’d be a great lunch to make me thru the day that made one more stop in Hyder. Ok, finally ready to get out of this town and you don’t know how happy I am to finally see pavement and the Canadian border, because I was ready to get back to civilization…not that Hyder is non-civilized, but the roads around here are definitely not biker friendly. Nobody at the check post that could have driven right thru, but remembered what the border patrol in Tijuana told me that I’ll stop and go into the building to find someone. Ok, not much coming in to Hyder that I’m sure the Canadian border patrol isn’t too concerned with what’s coming out, but they do ask whether I have any liquor, tobacco, weapons or bear spray on board, that wouldn’t someone around here need bear spray, that why would that make a difference. Well, that’s something I learned from Chuck running the B&B that he has to have a certain kind of bear spray that Canada accepts because if it’s not, they’ll confiscate it and to make the story even more weird, even if it says bear spray, depending on the ingredients, their concerned with you using it on a human – well, I don’t think I’d be buying bear spray to use on people unless I really hated that person, but than again, that’s not me either.

On the way out of Hyder had to get a picture and the lady running the shop right there came out to take my picture where I was. Like she said it’s an optical illusion taking it from where I am than getting under the sign, but sorry, I don’t see any optical illusion. Made my way east and saw a bear on the side of the road that had to stop and take a picture of. Was actually less than 10 feet from the thing before I realized it so didn’t get a better picture than this, but came upon an RV pulled over on the side of the road and slowed down checking out whether there was someone in the RV before I notice the bear right next to me…now that would’ve been a hell of a shot as I drove by the way he looked at me, but pulled over, stayed on the bike and kept it running for a picture cuz I do think if I had to, could get going faster this way to outrun the thing than any other. Leaving Misty Fjord and remember, going the opposite way on a road that you’ve already ridden is always different that got some more great shots of the glacier and valleys I had rode past yesterday.

Ok, didn’t tell you the story of some Newfoundlanders who showed up late last night at the bar that I was chatting it up with, very heavy accent, but talked to them about their ride west as well as my adventures, that did just happen to see them along the way. Another one of those Indian villages that I noticed how they have 2 different kind of kilometer posts along the way. One board will show the distance to a place like Smithers that I’m looking for, and another the Indian villages along the way. Wasn’t sure at first if they were the same towns with the English and Indian pronunciation or spelling, but think they are different. Oh, well, eventually made it to Smithers and since the Harley shop was on the main drag and there was something going on, had to stop in and check it out. Well, today was customer appreciation and demo ride day that although I missed the grub and demo, got to meet a number of people around the shop. My first order of business is finding out whether this town is fun to hang around for a night, how far the next is and whether it’s worth me staying or not. That’s where Chelsey and her mom Brenda came in, they gave me recommendations on whether to make the 4 hour trek to Prince George or not and when found out that the hostel in town is really nice and there isn’t one in Prince George, I’ve gone far enough…oh and finding out that Prince George is pretty red-neck might have made a difference and no, not like those wantabee redneck women, but true rednecks.

Figured as long as this is the place to stay for the night and am plenty tired from riding the dirt today, should get my 35,000 mile maintenance taken care of now than later…oh, and want them to check the suspension and everything else to make sure I didn’t break something with the roads I’ve been riding. Well, you can see that Stephen, the owner and father of Chelsey which would make Brenda his wife, doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty now and than that him and Mike made sure my bike After 35,000 miles not only did I need the normal oil and filter changes, but my air filter has fallen apart which might account for the oil being darker than normal which Stephen mentioned something about, as well as an answer to why the thing isn’t running the greatest. Well, this isn’t just any kind of air filter, but the Screamin Eagle version that it’ll cost me. Oh, and the other great thing, my bike is gonna get a bath. Although Alana and Tess have been spending most of their time washing the demo bikes so they can be on their way, they found time to fit mine in….thanks and a great job, but we’ll see how long it lasts, might have more dirt to ride. Oh, and before I forget, gave my blog address to Chelsey and she wrote it down, but also asked for my autograph, she said she wanted the first so when I become famous with a book or whatever I decide to do with my journeys, she can get rich…well, I hope to get rich myself, but money isn’t everything, I’m looking for a different kind of rich and think I’m getting closer to finding it. You can also see why stopping at a Harley shop feels like home for me, cuz not only did they take great care of me with accommodations, where to eat and getting my bike maintenanced, but I get to have a brew with the crew…now that’s hospitality.

Found out there are still a few things to see around town and although I thought I was done with dirt roads, had a mile stretch to ride to the twin falls and Gulch glacier. Well, just like the logging trail, the dirt roads are rough and have some pretty big rocks in them that even though the last mile of the trip takes longer than the first two miles of paved road, was definitely worth going to see. Thought about he hike to the glacier, but when saw that was over an hour hike and it’s already after 7:00, just need to find the hostel and a place to eat. This hostel is one of nicest I’ve been to yet and run by Hans and his wife Tina, both from Australia and just happened to settle here. Like I said, this is a very nice hostel with the hardwood floors and a lot of electronic gadgets…the lights automatically come on when you enter a room as well as high tech locks that it’s definitely worth staying at especially at hostel rates that if you ever get thru here, forget about a hotel room and get a hostel room. Ok, have you had enough yet? Well, I’m pretty much done typing that now you know how I ended up in Smithers Canada and what a beautiful full moon out tonight…look to the moon baby – I am every full moon. Tomorrow I hope to make Jasper because have already made contact with my Calgary connections that this weekend is going to be another weekend to spend in Calgary before heading home…should be able to be there just in time. Hyder to Smithers Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home