Saturday, September 02, 2006

Juneau Alaska, Sept 1st

Juneau Alaska and it wouldn’t be Alaska if it weren’t raining. Got kicked out of the hostel early this morning, remember the 9:00 to 5:00 lockout? so had to find something to keep us busy as well as a little breakfast after last nights festivities. Headed toward downtown and asked a number of people where a good place for breakfast would be that they pointed us here, Doc Waters on the Warf. Bayside view with a great breakfast and they even have a high speed wireless connection that we can use to get caught up on things…and for me, cell phone service – maybe Juneau isn’t so bad after all. You can see we kept ourselves busy and since this is a bar and it’s been raining all day, nothing better to do than have a few brews. Heard from the waiter that Juneau has only had 13 days of sun since May 1st and this is their worst summer in 40 years, that it’s a good thing we picked here to come. Well, it is the capital of Alaska that it wouldn’t be right not visiting it and as long as it’s part of the inside passage, a good place to stop.

I decided to do a little wandering myself that found Hangers just down the hall. Looks like they have some good beers on tap that might as well spend some time chatting with Svey and yep, her hand is on my bum…now why didn’t I think of that. Found out where the Harley shop was and all I had to do was just look out the window that might as well make the trip and see what kind of shirts they have and whether I can trade my bike in for an ’07, a bigger engine and six speed that since the bike of mine has so many miles on it, might be time for a new one, right? Robin decided to join me on the wet walk, but as long as it’s just across the street, won’t get too wet…oh, and do have the rain coat on. Did get myself and shirt and forgot to mention the Skagway shop yesterday, but now that I’ve hit the Juneau shop, better known as Taku, I have one more shop to make so I can claim the ‘Mother Load’ and buy myself a bag of shirts…remember Fairbanks and how I said it wouldn’t be right buying a bag of shirts unless I visited every shop, well, just might be able to do it after all.

Back to Doc Waters and today wouldn’t’ be complete if we didn’t make some friends that we talked to two couples next to us from the cruise ship, Drew, Penny, Rea and Blake all from the Atlanta Georgia area and only in town for a few hours…good thing they have such a nice day to enjoy a stop in port – right. Spent some time showing them pictures of some of the places I’ve been and the boyz were telling them about their travels that we’ve hit a lot of the same places along the way and they’re showing me a better ride home from Prince Rupert that what I had planned, that that’ll work for me. Should probably make a trip thru Calgary to, to visit Braden and Joe since I had so much fun there before, that will have to see how many days it takes me to get there and oh yea, and will take the Jasper/Banff route backwards…well, the opposite way I rode it before and you know what happens when you ride the same road the other way, more great scenery that I didn’t get to see the first time.

Ok, this is getting old sitting at Doc’s all day, but when it’s raining out there isn’t much to do and found out that we’re doing like the locals do, work and drink, that’s about all they can do around here. So our work was a little easier and helped us get caught up with things, but have to get out and get something to eat before heading downtown for some fun…and remember can’t get back in the hostel until after 5:00, but no reason to head back there until our midnight curfew. Hit the local pizzeria just down the hall and not only do they have some nice looking waitresses that we enjoyed watching going up and down the stairs, but some pretty good pie…pizza pie. Downtown it is and we still have a few bars to hit that we missed the other night that we made a number of stops before finding the Alaskan Hotel bar which has live music tonight and yep, use to be a brothel that it wouldn’t be right not having some pictures of the working ladies. Had a great time there meeting some of the locals, Katie and Tom joined us and bought us a few pitchers of beer cuz he didn’t want us to have anything bad to say about Juneau even if their beer prices are high…not so bad when the beers free, so thanks Tom. Time to sit back and enjoy the music and hang one on…remember, doing like the locals. Tomorrow the boyz hit the 4:45 ferry, same time as me, except for the fact that theirs is AM and mine PM…thank goodness cuz wouldn’t want to get up early after a night like tonight. Rainy Juneau bar pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home