Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Seward Alaska, Aug 27th

Sitting in the Yukon bar in Seward Alaska with Marybeth and Heather listening to Hobo Jim, Alaska’s official balladeer. Heather’s description is a little Jimmy Buffet Alaskan style and it’s great music…sorry can’t share pictures, but can you believe it, this new camera has already gone out on me and it hasn’t even been mounted to the bike and I’ve been taking extra care of it, but for some reason it decided to give me trouble after dinner at the lounge. Now if I don’t get it figured out or fixed before tomorrow and the boat tour to the glaciers, I’ll be missing a lot of pictures that’ll be worth having. I’m not happy with Canon at all at this point and these cameras should be lasting longer than 10 days.

I thought I was transported to another state waking up to sunshine, but can you believe it, my first sunrise in Alaska and hey, it’s gonna be a great day. Started heading north toward Anchorage before my turnoff to Seward and it looks like nothing but clear sailing that I might finally be able to claim a day in Alaska without rain. Well, got to Seward late enough that can’t do an afternoon boat tour, at least one that takes you by the glaciers, but tomorrow is a new day and the couple from France, I mean Chicago as well as others have mentioned that have to do the boat tour, that lets see what tomorrows weather has to bring. Well, you can see some more incredible Alaska scenery and it’s unbelievable how you go from one area to the other thinking that you can’t top what you’ve already seen and sure enough, you have more great scenery to see that although I should be heading home soon, I hear nothing but more places that I should visit, that it’d be nice saving it for the special share, but hell, at this point, you only live once that I’m gonna soak in and see as much as I possible can…sorry honey, but this is my trip and if you’re gonna be like me, you better be adventurous, cuz that’s what I’m all about.

Said goodbye to Homer in the sunshine and packed the rain gear away, but made a stop at the Harley dealership in Soldotna and they said it was raining in Seward, their on the other side of the mountains that the weather I had yesterday, remember the rain Halibut fishing? is gonna be what they have today, that’s great, another day in Alaska and rain. Oh, and you wouldn’t believe who I saw at the stoplight in Soldotna, the St Louis group that I met at the dealership on my way down to Homer. Thought stopping at the Harley shop might be able to hook up with them for some riding, but they must’ve pulled in somewhere for breakfast because didn’t see them go by that it’s time for me to move on. Oh, well was nice meeting them the other day that they can checkout my seeing them although I know one of them recognized me…it’s that I see you, you see me biker signal that we’ll give each other, which is a whole other story depending on what kind of bike you ride.

Continued on and it’s unbelievable what Alaska has to offer and in the sunshine, even more spectacular viewing than ever. Saw some great mountains, rivers, lakes and everything else that Alaska has to offer, that if I don’t get that camera working soon, you’ll miss everything I get to see as well as me not capturing pictures of this unbelievable trip. Made my way to the Seward hostel since I heard they setup boat tours and made sure they had a bed for me for tonight that if I can do a half day tour yet and see the glaciers I’ll be happy, but ok, the 3:00 tour ended August 20th that I’m a little late and according to Suzanne running the hostel , the 8 hour cruise is the thing to do, because you get to see glaciers a lot of wild life and that much more beauty Alaska has to offer, and better yet, they feed you lunch and dinner with a Salmon bake on one of the islands…that’ll be a treat - oh yea, and the other thing is booking it thru the hostel, I get 10% off.

Stopped for lunch at the at the Marina restaurant where I met Diane, a local during the summer who suggested a number of places in town to visit and guess what, met John and Tom again, met them 4 days earlier in the Perch in Carlo Creek where they were going salmon fishing while I was heading south toward Anchorage. It’s unbelievable how you meet the same people along the way, but apparently during tourist season, that happens a lot. Found out that John and Tom had a great time salmon fishing and when I told them about my halibut fishing tour and how everyone caught something, doesn’t compare because halibut don’t fight, it’s just dead weight your reeling in while the salmon will put up a fight…that’s my kinda fishing, put up a fight and pretty soon, you’ll succumb to our charm…ok, it’s still early and working on this blog, that give me time.

Diane suggested I checkout the Marine center which I did and it was pretty cool seeing some of the wildlife that live around these parts. Some of the pictures of the sea lion and those big eyes were something else and even caught a video clip of him which is worth seeing, sorry I can’t show you thru Kodak, but next time I’m around and my computers handy, then I’ll share. Was also interested seeing a diving bird called a puffin that swims thru the water with its wings using its feet as a rudder, quite different than the webbed feet type. And check I out, if I go the right way in Alaska, I’ll only be 53 miles from Russia, that they must have a ferry connecting us, wouldn’t you think that that might be my best way to get to Europe.

Well, the other thing to do while in town is visit a glacier, Exit Glacier, and it’d be nice being able to claim having stood on another glacier, that it’s only a couple of miles out of town. You can see more great scenery along the way and this glacier is going to be quite different than the Columbia Ice Fields in Canada. Took the guided tour hoping to see bear and moose, but no luck with the wildlife, just their droppings…can you believe how small Moose poop is? looks like little pellets and like the guide said, if you aid wood all day, you’d be constipated too. They had signs along the way just like Columbia showing where the glacier use to be that I thought sharing a picture of where it was in a good year, 1961 and where it is now was worth capturing. It’s about half a mile if even that so hasn’t moved too far in the last 45 years. Made it to the glacier and they have one of those signs which are just telling you, come closer that I did just that. Hey everyone else was that I don’t think it made much difference but is just warning you are on your own when you cross that line. Got a good boot shot and me standing on the glacier and guess who I met, 3 couples from Minnesota, Le Sueur visiting the Last great frontier. Visited with them for a while and Tom, the tall one with the hat was telling me how he has a motor scooter and how you can see so much more while riding…that just goes to prove what I’ve been saying all along, there’s no better way to see this country than on a motorcycle. And guess what, yep, got rained on, not heavily while visiting the glacier, but ran nonetheless, that yep, I’m still in Alaska.

Back to the hostel to make my bed and met one the ladies I told you about from the Fairbanks hostel and before the night was over, met the other 2; remember the ones I got to share a room with? Well, their not traveling together, but I guess our routes are about that same that’ll probably keep running into people that I have met along the way until I start heading east, but than again, that could be the same story. Time for dinner and according to all the locals have to check out Thorns Showcase Lounge for Halibut pieces which is just what I did and according to someone’s description, just like an old lounge back in Wisconsin and Minnesota, that now I feel at home. The Halibut was really good and I’m definitely having my share of seafood on this trip, but according to the marine center, this area, the Bering sea is the most abundant for seafood in the world that when in Rome, do as the Romans would do…I mean Alaskans. Ok, I might have figured out why my camera stopped working, it was the last picture of the inside of the lounge that broke my camera…you know like some people do?

And that brings me to the Yukon bar, that before the night is over with, met up with more that have already seen along the way, but sorry, no pictures. Ran into Shawn who I had partied with one night at Panorama Pizza in Carlo Creek, remember, Ivan’s place? He’s a tour guide and that’s why he was at Carlo Creek and is here, one of those tours where they take the group around showing them Alaska and tenting all the way. Had me thinking I could do something like that, but even better, make it a biking tour. Well, they already exist so nothing new, just have to look for a different spin. Oh, and the other interesting person I met tonight was Loui who was sitting next to me and watching my laptop while I had to use the bathroom, he said he goes by ‘FBI’, Fuckin Big Indian…hey, I know someone else who’d fit that description. More fun to have and tomorrow, let’s see if I’m still in Alaska or not…you know, the rain. More incredible Alaska pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home