Monday, August 21, 2006

Dawson City Yukon, Aug 19th

Dawson City Yukon and I’m sitting in the Midnight Sun Lounge a little wet and it had nothing to do with riding, but the ferry from one side of the river to the other. Not a good thing when the deck is slippery and you end up falling off the side into the river…ok, if that had really happened; do you think I’d be writing this blog? Well, the ferry part is true and it was crossing the river from the hostel back to downtown when the rain came. I was able to ride all the way from Whitehorse without any rain and the bike is parked rain free tonight, but me taking the ferry when I did got me soaked to the bone. At that point doesn’t pay to go back to the hostel and change, so I’ll deal with it for the night. Got a good night sleep at the Beez Kneez Hostel and it is the nicest I’ve stayed at so far. I don’t think everyone in my room got a good night sleep though, cuz remember getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and three of the beds were empty and the guys on the couches downstairs…yep, someone was snoring something bad, and this morning John said it was me – oh well, I got a good nights sleep.

Got up early so I could get the bike to the Harley shop by 10:00 when they opened for my 30,000 mile maintenance and got ready a little too early that figured I better checkout the fish steps that I heard so much about last night. Also heard that if go there between 9:00 and 10:00 might see them catching some of the fish for the hatchery which, guess what, just in time – there’s that timing thing again in the right place at the right time. Tried to get a good picture of how big some of those Chinook salmon were, but not as much luck as catching the guy milking one…ok, getting some eggs, but don’t they still refer to it as milking? Made my way to the Harley shop and Red still wasn’t in and Patrick had another quick job he was going to do that it gave me some time to hit the bank and get some more of that Canadian currency which seems to go fast…it’s surprising how expensive things in Canada are, but as long as I’m paying with American, thru the bank exchange rate, might not sting as bad – ok, still stings cuz things are getting spendy. Hey, there’s a festival in town for the long weekend, remember me talking about that yesterday, but I still hope to hit the road toward Alaska. Still not sure what to do cuz someone else mentioned to me last night that I should do the ‘Top of the World’ highway, that I have some deciding to do.

After dropping off my bike headed to the nearest eatery, if you want to call it that and had a little breakfast. Figured that’d hold me over for how long the day might be and gave me some time to work on yesterday’s blog which didn’t get written amongst all the partying last night with some of the anthropologists. Had a great time with them last night hitting some of the pubs and grub at Klondike’s and it was a pleasure meeting ya’all - keep in touch. Back to the Harley shop to do some more chatting with Selina and maybe you can’t tell, but I’m a little taken with her. Told her how much of a pleasure it’s been meeting her and that I really appreciate her friendliness, personality and attitude about life in general. Also read the story about her and Dozer, the shop mascot which was written up in the local papers which just says more about what kind of person she is. There’s also something about many of these Canadian women that I’ve met that they don’t seem to have issues or hang ups that others seem to have. Not sure what it is and whether that is the first impression thing that once I got to know them I’d think otherwise, but for some reason I don’t think so because they just seem to have a different attitude about things. The way Selina put it yesterday, maybe because their free and aren’t as hung up or stressed out about things as the Americans seem to be. Oh well, guess we’ll never know for sure, unless there’s been a study done on it, or I hook up with one, but have been having a great time with many of the Canadians I’ve met along the way, and keep forgetting the ‘eh’.

Ok, still debating whether I should head north and do the ‘Top of the World’ highway because of the gravel I’ll have to deal with, but according to everyone else that has been thru the shop that I’ve talked to about it, they’ve said if they had the chance or as soon as they did they’d do it, that ok, I’m convinced that it’ll look good on my resume saying I did the Top of the World highway that depending on when Patrick gets my bike done, will take that 5 hour trip to Dawson City…guess what, I’m here and it only took me a little over 4 hours. Ok, when they talk kilometers, my calculation is a 90 kph speed comes out to 80 mph…maybe a little skewed, but haven’t seen a cop on the road since hitting the Alaskan highway and have seen many vehicles pass me as though there isn’t a speed limit. Had some great scenery along the way, this time I can share, but it still doesn’t compare to what I saw from Fort Nelson to Whitehorse that too bad the camera broke, cuz it’s definitely worth seeing and like I’ve already said, for anyone making a trip to Alaska, you should really do the Alaskan highway so you can say like me, ‘been there done that – and want to do it again’. That reminded me of something that Steve, one of the Nemo crew said while in Sturgis that you can ride a road and take in all the scenery in a car, but once you do it on a bike, it’ll move the soul and I’m finding that with all this riding because so much of what I’ve seen couldn’t be seen or felt the way I’ve felt it other than on a bike…I’m getting a lot of soul, oh and that feeling thing is how cold it gets around here this time of year.

Dawson City and the hostel is more like a rustic hostel without showers and electricity, but according to the guy checking me in, the bathhouse is the way most in Europe still do things. The bathhouse doesn’t have showers, but is heated and has cold and hot water that you mix together and poor over yourself to bathe…kinda like the old west you’ll see in the movies except that their using a bathtub and in this case you poor the water over you and not in a tub…should be quite the experience and ya gotta experience it all on a trip like this, right? Checkout some of the pictures of Dawson City and guess what I saw getting rained on while crossing the river, a double rainbow…reminds me of the one I saw walking along the beach in Cozumel at the beginning of this journey, that it must be telling me something. Hit a number of the places in Dawson City worth seeing and had a good meal of Char at Klondike Kate’s, it’s a fish very similar to salmon and was pretty good. Also heard have to hit the Snake pit so made a stop in both, the Snake Pit as they call it where drinking starts at 9am and the pit where everyone moves to when the snake pit closes early. Tomorrow, if the rain holds off, it’ll be the ‘Top of the World’ baby…stay tune. Dawson City Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home