Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sturgis SD, Aug 9th

Full moon tonight and I’m so happy I’m where I am, Nemo with the Nemo crew I’ve been camping with for years and there’s no better place to see the full moon and stars tonight than Nemo, more on that later. Well, tore down camp so Tom, Bruce and Janice could hit the road so we got an early start and hey check out the bike wash at the camp next door, not for everyone, but just his bike…maybe I’ll find a bike wash like that along the way. Some of us decide to head to the hills, the hill climbs that is and why you don’t see any of those pictures is because I lost the guys so made a decision to do a little more riding on my own, remember have been doing that all the way here that why not another day. Tried to figure out what kind of riding I wanted to do on my own and figured since it’s Wednesday, might as well head to Huelett for no panty Wednesday, didn’t make it that far and decided didn’t want to hassle with the crowds and remember it’s not like it use to be that decide to just head to Sundance for the burnouts. Sure glad I did to because of what happened. On the way there, taking the back roads like usual, saw a sign for a free bike wash and thought about it as I drove by and figured, what the heck, I can afford to tip some bike washers for a wash that this bike could really use so turned around. Found that it was an Assembly of God putting on the bike wash and not only wouldn’t; they accept any tips, they were serving a free lunch, lemonade and bars. Met a couple from Florida, sorry didn’t get there pictures since they were in the middle of eating, but he was driving up from Florida to move her from SD to Florida, they met last year and must of hit it off. Well, Kenny and Maria were traveling missionaries, did get their picture and talked to them about my travels around the country and how I’ve met so many great people along the way. They’ve been to some of the places I’ve already visited and are heading to Childress Texas after I told them my story of sleeping in a city park there and gettin eaten alive by the squiters. The kids did a great job washing the bike and although I didn’t get there names really appreciated the job they did that wanted to tip them…again, not accepting tips because the kids feel blessed being able to do this for some of us. Well, Ken and Maria said a blessing over my that I continue to have safe travels and find in life everything that I’m looking for and while they were saying a prayer for me, I was saying a prayer for everyone that has come into my life…I really do feel blessed and not only because of what I’m able to do with these travels, but all of the wonderful friends I have and friends that I’m making along the way.

Eventually made it to Sundance of the burnouts and talked to Paul, remember Paul and Matt from the freeway and One Eyed Jacks yesterday? Well, them and gang were coming to Sundance too so figured could hook up with them and got to meet even more of the group, Paul’s dad and Jay who just might have a room for me tonight. The burnouts were much as compared to other years and not sure why, but did get a hell of a show when one guy tried taking his Boss Hoss up on stage. You can see the stage is about 6 feet off the ground and for those who don’t know, a Boss Hoss is one of those bikes with a V8 car engine in it. Well, he was getting a little cocky on his way up that he lost control and almost went over the edge because the front end broke thru the glass and the bike was heading for the crowd and if it hadn’t been for the emergency shutoff, it for sure would’ve ended up in the crowd. You can see the pictures of the aftermath and people trying to push the bike back up. It was a dead one, but eventually came back and burnt the rubber until the tire popped, the only way to win a burnout nowadays. Like I said not much to watch and could have skipped it for as dirty as I got from the burnt rubber, you know the kind in the smoke that covers the crowd? After the burnouts is the usually wet t-shirt contest and again because of the cops not much of a show. One did take her top off to put on a white t-shirt, but hell, the cops were right there hauling her away for what we heard is a $100 fine right on the spot…come on, like the cops don’t mind seeing that? Guess that’s why you have to party at one of the campgrounds where anything goes.

The talk around town is the gun fight between a couple of gangs in Custer, the town and apparently 6 are dead and we’re still trying to figure out which of the two gangs fought out of the Hells Angels, Banditos or Outlaws. Good thing we didn’t go thru Custer yesterday, but that might explain why the two couples that did go out riding thru Custer park and the Needles highway were talking about the cops armed to the hilt in the park with blowout strips…waiting for someone to come along.

Tonight was all about dinner with the Nemo group at Jake’s, Kevin Costner’s restaurant in Deadwood that we make reservations a year in advance for and I was happy to be invited. No Steve and Terri as well as a few others missing from last year, but we had a great meal. Kara took great care of us and you can see a pretty nice place to be eating while in Sturgis. At dinner I was talking about so many of the experiences that I’ve had and how my friend Marianne and EK said how I was turning a bad situation, getting laid off into something good and like Dave said, I’m making lemons out of lemonade. Ok, so most of us know it as making lemonade out of lemons, but I guess you’d just have to be there. I was invited back to Nemo for the night and since Steve and Terri didn’t make dinner we figured they wouldn’t be back until tomorrow that like the group said, I won’t even have to pitch a tent, just throw my sleeping bag in theirs cuz they wouldn’t mind. Ok, had to call Paul and Jay and thank them for use of the bed, but tonight I think it’s a good night to spend with the Nemo crew and I just may stick around longer since there’ll be dinner at the camp for Kathy’s bday tomorrow and our normal Friday night prime rib dinner at Horse Creek. Had to checkout the changes to the number 10 saloon, you know the one, where Wild Bill was shot, got pictures to prove it. Well, when we got back to camp there were signs that someone was around with the Leinenkugel bottles on the picnic table and that could mean only one thing, the Gish’s are back in town. Not a problem because I do have a tent and it’s still light enough that all I have to do is set it up and I’ll be ready for the night. Sure enough, Steve and Terri came rolling in and had been looking for us at the nearby bar. Well, tonight is a night to have fun with the group that I’ve spent so many wonderful Sturgis vacations with and watch the full moon rise over the mountain, trees and there is really no better place to watch the stars, and satellites than Nemo…still lookin to the moon. Moon shots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home