Thursday, August 03, 2006

August 1st - 3rd, preSturgis&Alaska

Ok, just to let some know who may have caught an August 1st blog, that’s been deleted since it was too deep and will be saved for the book version. Wait, have had to delete two versions before getting it right and although it still may not be right, this is more appropriate for August 1st, 2nd and 3rd and those of you traveling with me, some know more to the story.

I’ve had a great time hanging out with the locals, calling people and working out my Alaskan travels, but after remembering where I was the same time last year…boy how time flies…I know, I’ve gone on and on about it in some of my blogs, but it stops here, hell I have more country to travel. Hey, don’t they say hind sight is 20/20 and you never know, someday I’ll look back on these travels and will always have a story. It’s unbelievable when people start asking about the trip, my favorite places, my funnest places etc and it always has be remembering another story - I find myself going back and reading blogs and it puts me back into the experience and even how I felt that day…ok, so some of them did get pretty deep, the blogs that is, but hey if you feel it, why not share it? I guess the first 80 days might have been different had I been at a different point in my life than what I was, but things happened the way they did for a reason…remember the higher power? Well, there are just more signs for me that I should do Alaska and one of them was passing a truck on the road home from the club with Alaskan plates. Felt like waving them down, but I think the plates alone were enough to convince me that I have to do it…and for those of us who believe, there’s a plan for us out there that it’s just a matter of reading the signs and going for it…yea, I do hope it’ll point me in the direction of making a life I’ll love doing what I’m doing since I might need to get a job, but you never know, what I’m doing now might be my calling – now it’s just a matter of figuring out how I can make money doing this.
Ok, so a day’s blog isn’t just that day, but a few days worth, this being August 2nd. Today had me trying to figure out what to pack for two trips at once, what I need for Sturgis and what I’ll need for Alaska. I’ll assume, just for my sake that the clothing I’ll need for each may be quite different. Hell, the average temps this time of year in Sturgis are in the 90’s and Alaska look like 60 something that 30 degrees on a bike could make quite a difference. Glad I checked that out cuz think I can leave the sleeveless at home for Alaska and better pack more long sleeves. Oh, and something else, heard yesterday someone talking about how we’re all connected some how 6 degrees one way or the other, that’s the 30 degree difference that reminded me, well, found out just how many more I can connect with…you know, others who have been to Alaska and those who recommend Banff Canada as an awesome place to visit? Ok, maybe not that kind of 6 degrees, but heard at lunch Monday that a restaurant owner from Chippewa Falls was partying with my boater/Sturgis group from Prescott and it happens to be where a certain someone, like Steve put it, well, we know she’s a waitress – is working. There’s more to the story, but I don’t have to share every thing, that’s where you’ll just have to wait for the book version. My mom had a great title for my book too the other day when I mentioned how there were all these signs pointing me going to Alaska and it is…what have I been saying over and over again in so many of my blogs? ‘Everything Happens for a Reason’. That might work, but I remember my cousin Barb’s husband Gary telling me when this trip first began that a good book title might be; ‘Coast to Coast on the Web, With the Webb, by DaleJ. Webb’…ok, thought about expanding that from Coast to Coast, Border to Border and Coast to Coast again, but we’ll just have to wait and see because the way I see it, once it’s wrote, the book that is, that’s when you title it.
What else happened today…oh yea, finally got those new pants I need for the trip…you know the ones, that won’t fall down to my knees since I’ve lost some weight on this trip. Not that I needed to loose weight and I may have already alluded to this, but have probably lost 15 lbs in 80 days…hey, maybe my book should be a diet book, I can show you how to lose 15 lbs in 80 days. The other thing worth noting was the gathering of bikes they had just for me at Yarusso’s…ok, yep you caught me again, but why not reference it as a party for me…once I start telling stories, everyone’s intrigued, but it’s the first Wednesday of the month and that means free pasta at Yarusso’s…hey, great pasta, especially when it’s free. One more day and I’m on the road again, which means;
Come along for a ride around the country on a motorcycle living precariously thru me. Not even I know where the days travels will take me or what I'll encounter. Have Bike, will Travel!
One more country song to share since I’ve turned country, but it was a Rascall Flatts song that I started this journey with, remember the one, ‘Broken Road’? Well, it’s another Rascall Flatts song that’s appropriate now…’What Hurts the Most’. Ok, gotta listen to it and the words, then you’ll get it. Hey, that reminds me how I was looking for a hot country chick that might be interested in Nashville someday…haven’t heard anything from any, that maybe I’ll just need to move to Nashville.
August 3rd and my last day at home before hitting the road to Sturgis and then Alaska…yep, for those who haven’t been reading them all to keep up, the blogs, going North to Alaska, they’re goin’ north the rush is on. Spent the day getting my Sturgis clothing packed and hauled over to Tom’s shop and man this trailer is going to be something else to hang out in and at Buffalo Chip of all places…hell, that’s where the real Sturgis party is. That’s where I hope to get those pictures that won’t be shared on Kodak, but by special request…nope, not even that cuz what happens at Vegas stays in Vegas and Sturgis is even more so. Ran around seeing what I could do about my camera and for the Alaskan trek, will see how a neck strap’ll work…yep, that still means free handing it at times, but on the curving roads, remember Oregon it might just be about me – don’t need to run off the road or hit any guard rails.
Oh, before I forget to mention it, some of the pictures are from Yarusso’s last night, free pasta on the first Wednesday of the month for those who show up on bikes…and even those who don’t and the pastas pretty good, especially since it’s free. Figured I have to stop and see some of the local bikers since I’ve missed the last couple of months, but it was a quiet night, hey, maybe that means their all heading to Sturgis and since it was a little scarce on women, it’s all the women heading to Sturgis. We did happen to follow three of them on their own bikes, women that is and one of them almost got t-boned, hell that was a close call and you shouldn’t be checking your lipstick while pulling into an intersection making a left turn…leave the stick at home. Took a bit of a ride, but had to get home and get ready for the trip…ok, didn’t make it home again, but Old Chicago has been my home away from home this week. Remember, high speed internet and the foods not to bad either…I mean beer.
Today was the first time something was amiss, but got a call from my mom that they got a letter from Dunn county, that’d be the Menominee area, that my driving privileges’ in Wisconsin have been revoked. Ok, that’s the speeding ticket that was thrown out, but didn’t know I had to pay a $25 court cost although I didn’t have to go to court until I got home from my travels. Well, don’t think they wanted to wait that long even though I sent them the check Monday, but it’s a good thing I don’t have to drive to Wisconsin for anything…I’ll just have my parents drive here if they want to see me. Ok, will get it fixed, but hey, I’m on the road again right away tomorrow and for at least another month. So, one little thing, but everything else is still falling into place because have the neighbor staying at my place to watch the cat and house while I’m gone and ya never known, he might just like it enough that he’ll be ready to move away from home…well, at least he can still walk next door to eat. Packed for Alaska and remember the temps being that much cooler than Sturgis, hell, 30 degrees worth, but don’t have as much packed as I did the first 80 days. Might be because I don’t have very many long sleeve shirts, but this trek, I’ll buy shirts along the way – it’s not every day that someone gets to Alaska and I think I can say, there are many that never do…I just hope to be one of them making it there and ok, I’ll share, more stories and pictures to come.
For those who have been coming along for the ride, thanks and drop me a line every once in awhile and for the rest of you, you have a lot of catching up to do. Oh and almost forgot, check out the business cards I had made up today…figure it’s easier than having someone trying to read my writing or tell them the blog address all the time. A few pics.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Right! Sounds like the stories might get a bit more interesting!

Attaboy!

8/04/2006 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Webby Go!

8/04/2006 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dale,

The Wausau Gang says "Hi".
Leave those worries behind & head
"North to Alaska, You go north, the rush is on" Give me a call & don't forget about the 45th parrallel & 90th intersecting geographical markers back here in Wisconsin. Just down the road from your little cheese hometown. Maybe you can get a photo on the way to fall ride Sept 14-17th.

Chris H

8/07/2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dale,

The Wausau Gang says "Hi".
Leave those worries behind & head
"North to Alaska, You go north, the rush is on" Give me a call & don't forget about the 45th parrallel & 90th intersecting geographical markers back here in Wisconsin. Just down the road from your little cheese hometown. Maybe you can get a photo on the way to fall ride Sept 14-17th.

Chris H

8/07/2006 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dale-
Back to work and thinking of u and the gang still at Sturgis partying it up! Great website.......can't wait till it's updated after Sturgis. Maybe we'll catch in Tomahawk, WI.

Ride on.........
Sherry - GO HAWKEYES!!

8/08/2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home