Friday, August 11, 2006

Sturgis SD, August 4th

My 10 year anniversary, to Sturgis that is, and the first time in as long that I rode the bike all the way out. Tried my first year, but on a Wide Glide, a Harley that is, just wasn’t the thing to do, and on that kind of bike, had to stop at most if not all the rest stops along the way. With this Street Glide, just glided right by the rest stops, that the only stops were for gas, and I can handle that, as long as I have some. The bike is packed lighter since Tom and crew were able to take most of the gear that I’ll need for Alaska, but this week it’s all about Sturgis. Was on freeway most of the way so you can see hit over 80mph and check out the odometer, starting the next trek at about 26,500 miles, hey, that was in 80 days. Hit a few of the Harley shops along the way and just for you, made a stop at the worlds largest bird feeder, the corn palace in Mitchell…a couple of the Nemo crew grew up there, Dave and Julie. Not much else to see there, but one thing about the corn palace, they change the design every year - this year, something about a rodeo.

Made it to South Dakota, so have two more states to hit and just found out earlier that I should’ve gotten a magnet from each…hell, that’s if I collect something like that, but don’t really have the room on the bike so didn’t collect anything along the way except for pictures, got most states, but just might have to go back to some that I missed – well, maybe on my next trip and remember there are some states I really don’t need to go back to…you know the ones.

Was having a great time cruising along the freeway with my cruise control and country music blasting, but had a problem along the way…yep, ran out of gas again and this time had Harland, a local South Dakotan help me out. I was 2 miles from the Chamberlin exit when I ran out and started hoofing it that Harland stopped to pick me up. Not something he normally does, but his son Brent lives that 2 miles up the road that he’s sure he has a gas can with some gas in it. Well, he had just that and Harland gave me a ride back to the bike, that’ll just use half a gallon cusp that should give me enough for the 2 miles I need to make it to the gas station, but you know me have to press on that maybe I should’ve just gone that 2 miles and filled up, but half a gallon’ll get me down the road. Ok, so did make it the 2 miles and do you really think I would’ve chanced it and kept driving not having any idea how much gas I really have? I did offer Harland something for his troubles, but of course he’d have nothing to do with it and he just said, be a good Samaritan to someone else that you can help today…hell, that happened before I even pulled away cuz as I did, another bike stopped half a mile up the road and guess what, he ran outta gas too. I didn’t hang around to find out, cuz just ran to the gas station, but after I saw Harland drive by, followed him back to his sons place to ask him just that, did the other guy run outta gas…sure did. Ok, so Harland came a long at a good time and it’s a good thing Brent’s toilet needed fixin, cuz otherwise he wouldn’t have been in the right place at the right time for me and the other biker…hat was the reason for Harland’s trip this way in the first place, and today, he was a plumber for more than just a toilet, he knew how to fix bikes. Did see the biker come off the exit ramp, but not sure if he saw me that he decided to go the other way to get gas, not sure why, cuz remember, when you’re not sure which way to go, take a right, that’ll be more right normally than a left. Did catch up with the other biker and told him the story to get a picture, but he’d have nothing to do with, it, his first time running out of gas that he didn’t want anyone to know…if he only knew how often it’ s happened to me.

Was a terrible cross wind across the plains of South Dakota that it was a really tough ride cuz was on a tilt all day, but the thing was keeping the glasses on and being able to see what you need to with such a wind. Still another stop and I remember the first sign I saw for it, Wall Drug, 355 miles ahead, that was in Minnesota. Last year we tried to count the number of signs for Wall drug we saw along the way, but didn’t catch them all, and oh yea, stayed in Sioux Falls a night last year that didn’t drive straight thru like I was doing so lost count.. Ok, the stop wasn’t only for pictures to accommodate those of you who haven’t seen Wall Drug, but the water and my favorite, maple glazed donuts, check it out. Oh and the bike ties, you know how, you tie your bike to it so it doesn’t run off, well, forgot my reins.

Hey check it out, found a bike rally and since it’s Friday, not as busy as it will get, but just wait, already seeing some things at Buffalo Chip that remember, what happens here stays here that I’ll have to figure out how to get some of the pics to those who they can be shared with. Met Sherry and Ozzie who Tom and the gang just met today and by the way, Sherry just woke up and still has to shower, man; you should see her after her shower. Well, what a small world, cuz found out that Ozzie is a good family friend to an old girlfriends family from Prairie duChien …that was a long time ago, ok, so Maureen broke my heart, but it was nice to hear she’s doing good, married, kids and guess what, her sister Bridgette is still single and hey, I remember her…I wonder how good my chances with here are, even if she does live in Boston…if I only knew that some 30 days ago I may have had another place to stay on the east coast.

Ok, Buffalo Chip and lets see just how the party goes. Did run into a guy in line getting into the Chip with an Alaskan shirt and he was just there last year so gave me some recommendations on what to see and what to do…one of them was buying a mile marker book which my parents have already offered me, but I turned down since on bike, don’t have a lot of room. Well, they update it every year that maybe I just might have to drop the $30 and get one. Finally found Tom and crews campsite and guess who was here to interview me already, a radio station. Well, ok, not there to interview me, but after I showed up, the guys sent the crew my way to talk about my travels around the country, that hey, ya never know, might be on the radio and gave them my blogspot, that let’s see if anyone else checks in. The pictures of the Buffalo Chip crew to come, but after meeting the gang and Janice, found out she was from Stratford, a town about 20 miles from Colby, remember, where I grew up…she said how we’re all connected 6 degrees one way or the other…and yep, she happens to know the family of an old high school gf…it will never cease to amaze my how when you meet someone you’ll find a connection one way or the other.

Well, no internet connection and this campsite is party central that might get a little behind with blogs and pictures, but I’ll try my best. Tomorrow, even hotter than today and right now it’s in the upper 90’s this late at night. Some of the Pics Now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home