Friday, August 11, 2006

Sturgis SD, August 5th

Day 90 and although I’ve been coming here for the last 10 years, I think it is still some of the best scenery and country to ride…well, the scenery only gets better at night and this damn camera doesn’t take very good pictures in the dark – that’s my excuse. Felt well rested, but might have made a difference having gained that hour yesterday that got plenty of sleep and the body is still on central time, this time mountain, remember that extra hour? Had a warm shower this morning and normally that’s a problem at these campsites for as many people going thru as there are and also quite a different setup that I’m glad I have nothing to be embarrassed about. You can tell those that aren’t very comfortable getting naked in a room full of people, but ya gotta love these coed showers and sorry, no cameras allowed – definitely for my eyes only. Ok, so their not coed, but that wall between the women and men isn’t that tall that I felt a few eyes lookin my way – and no not guys, well at least I hope not.

The one thing with this place and for as big as it is, it’s dustier than all hell and almost as bad as Red River was, remember the dust pit I was in there? Well, because of how dry things have been not only do they not allow campfires, but then again I don’t know that Buffalo Chip ever has, but everything is dusty that you get the bikes and other vehicles going by that you feel like that’s all you’re breathing around the campground, dust…have to get on the road soon, but this morning, had to wait for Mike’s friend Laurie to show up so didn’t get on the road until after 10:00. That’s not so bad cuz it gave my bike time to collect more dust and although it could use a good cleaning, not today. Well, first things first that had to talk to the PR man at Buffalo Chip to see what kind of deal he can give me…remember how things have happened for me along this journey? Well, he wasn’t available yesterday that they told me to just buy a one day pass and talk to him today which was the first order of business, ok, after a shower and a little breakfast. Did just that and gave him one of my new business cards and setup a meeting to discuss my travels. Well, like he said if I would’ve gotten a hold of him 6 weeks ago he might’ve been able to do something for me, but like I explained, me coming to Buffalo Chip was one of those last minute things, almost like me going to Alaska. Ok, so this year not going to get anything special cuz I’m one of over 700 who come to him with a different story and he’ll have to check out by blog to see that I’m legit and might be able to do something for me next year – hey, might be able to get the crew in for free then, right? we’ll see.

As with the Nemo group, whom you’ll meet later, some wanted to go where there are great Bloodies, Bloody Mary’s that is, that just have to work it into a ride thru Buckhorn and Four Corners, Wyoming that is, that Deadwood’ll be a great town to ride thru and I know just the place with good bloodies, Lewies. Ok, so Bloodies aren’t my drink of choice, but others have said they really like’em here, and those I brought concurred. Since it was already lunch time and we had a long ride ahead of us decide to order and it was, as I’ve always had here, some pretty good grub - that should hold us the rest of the day. Ok, so my pictures aren’t turning out very well and I thought for sure this neck strap would make a difference, but it might just be tough trying to point and shoot a picture from a camera you can’t see what you’re shooting anymore…remember the lcd screen going out? and the fact that I’m going around some pretty curving roads that have to keep one hand on the bars and an eye on the road, but I sure could use that bike mount right about now – and if you don’t know when that started failing me, I’d say Childress Texas was a pretty good sign that something wasn’t’ gonna last, with the camera that is. Saw more great scenery along the way and no not the kinda night scenery we have, but some pretty country riding and what kind of ride thru Custer is it without making a stop at the Gold Pan Saloon, wish the picture inside would’ve turned out better, but yep, a saw dust floor and I think when I asked how often they clean it last year, sounds like never, all they have to do is rake it or something like that. From there headed toward Hill City, ok, will try to take a picture of the Sturgis map tomorrow that show the roads to ride so you can follow along, but we’ll have to see how that turns out. Well, along the way went past Crazy Horse, you know that Crazy Indian they are trying to sculpt out of a mountain…no the Indian wasn’t crazy, but it was maybe a crazy idea since they didn’t get Berglund, the sculptor of Mt Rushmore to do it, but then again, there’s no government funding and Berglund’s dead anyway. The group had no interest in going in, that you get the pictures I got from a distance while riding down the road, ok, so the last one was stopped, but couldn’t see what I was shooting.

Hit Hill City and for a Saturday you can see there still isn’t much going on, This is the earliest I’ve shown up to Sturgis and I see why because things really don’t get kicking until after Saturday, well, that is except for Buffalo Chip tonight. That’s ok though cuz got to ride and see a lot of the area without all these slow people in front of us and all the bikes, but hey, just wait, today was only day two and an early one at that. Made it to Nemo, remember the Nemo group I was talking about and the group that I’ve been coming with for probably 5 years if not more? Well, met up with them while they were setting up and was kind of sad I wasn’t going to be camping with them, but did make arrangements to go riding with them and one of the things for the week, that special dinner we have every year at Kevin Costner’s restaurant, if you don’t know the one, Jake’s in Deadwood – you really have to try it, that’s if you can get a reservation. Steve and Terri are going to take quite the trip and plan on visiting Yellow Stone and the Grand Titon’s, hey I was there and definitely more impressed with the Titons than Yellow Stone. Well, like I said am gonna to miss not partying with the group and seeing the stars and satellites passing by…ok, that’s a story from last year, but Nemo is definitely the place to do some star gazing especially this week since we’ll have a full moon shining our way, but I have all week…look to the moon baby.

Tonight Alice Cooper in concert and things sure do get wild around here…ok, so maybe you can tell that these might be written a day late, but how can I be writing while all the fun is going on? No night pictures, my excuse, this camera doesn’t take very good pictures in the dark – and what happens in Vegas, I mean Sturgis, stays in Sturgis. Tomorrow more of the Black Hills to ride and see, as well as the rest of the great scenery…night scenery that is. Only some Pics to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home