Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Jasper Alberta, Aug 15th

Jasper Alberta, yep still Canada and although I had hope to make it here last night, there’s just too much to see between here and Banff. Stayed at the Quiet Creel Hostel which wasn’t so quiet because of the women biking the Banff to Jasper route, but caught their picture this morning which I missed last night. The Hostel turned out to work out well even though I didn’t have a shower, but for keeping my gear on the bike dry and having a roof over my head with the thunderstorms in the area for the night, it was well worth it. Had to back track 15 miles from where I came last night, the restaurant at the ice fields, but it turned out to be well worth it. I think I got some pictures that won’t be able to be duplicated with the fog rising around the view of the moon and mountains that I saw…it was awesome. Ok, pretty cold for the ride this morning since it was only about 30 degrees, but knew I didn’t have to go far and am not one of those wantabe bikers…when it’s time to ride I’ll ride in whatever you have to bring on. Was a little worried that seeing the Columbian Ice Fields wasn’t going to be the thing to do with the fog and clouds, but whatd’ya know, as soon as I rounded the corner to the Ice Field lodge, nothing but sunshine.

Hey, today is day 100 on the road that even if I counted in my short time at home, it’s still quite a mark to make. Ok, heard it was well worth doing the bus tour onto the glacier that lets see what $33 Canadian will get me and got on to the first bus without even having to give them a story on how I’m traveling the states, oh, and Canada and have to be someplace before the days over…theres room for one on the next shuttle that I don’t even have to wait. Could use breakfast, remember the one I didn’t eat yesterday, while I guess if anything that’s the meal I’ve been skipping the most, but on the bus now is well worth it. These ice fields are something else to behold and I wish the pictures did it justice, but the way I look at it, just saying that I stood on a glacier, remember the ones that carved out God’s country, Wisconsin, is worth a story. Had a great ride onto the glacier and took the worlds steepest grade road, the one down onto the glacier, yep, even though it’s not paved it’s groomed daily that it’s consider the steepest grade and if you’re afraid of heights, all you have to do is like our driver Nick, close your eyes. Well, before getting on the glacier had to go thru the tire wash, ok, so I got the picture on the way back, but at first when Nick mentioned a tire wash I thought he was just kidding until he explained how it’s man made so the rocks from the tires would be washed off before getting on the glacier. They’re trying to keep the glacier from deteriorating faster than what it is, but when they pointed out the road they had used a week ago, it was already a few feet below the new one…ok, so we’re on that global warming that someday there won’t be any glaciers, so why stop it now. Hey this glacier water is pretty good, but with the bottle stuff you can buy, betcha it’s not as cold as this…which is something else to remember, when in these parts no matter what time of year, it get’s cold. They pointed out how the side of the pine trees facing the glacier don’t have any branches and that’s because of how cold it gets there that sap freezes and pieces of the tree break off in the wind…I wonder what the skiing around her that time of year is like.

Ok, I thought the colors on top of the glacier were spectacular, but can’t decide if it was thru my glasses, remember the $200 pair I got in Myrtle Beach or what that you can decide with the couple of pictures that I took thru my glasses. I do think doing a little of the on and off that the colors were more vibrant with the glasses on, but this place like so many others that I’ve visited, you have to see it to believe it. Made it to the toe of the glacier cuz I couldn’t call this stop complete without making some of a hike an they had warning signs for people older than me, if you have a heart condition or shortness of breathe you should take it easy climbing to the toe, but hell, I’m only as old as I feel and after feel like I’m in my late 20’s, especially after a young 20something considers me hot. Well, I can tell you, you can tell you’re at a different altitude up here, but its well worth doing and something I hope to come back to and share. Tried to take pictures of the burms along the side which mark how high the glacier was back in 1844 when it was first discovered, but if you can imagine from the picture that I took where the flags were mark the spot in 1844 and the drive to the toe is about 2 miles if not further, you can start to imagine how much of it has melted over the years, but that’s nothing. The thing I did find out is the glacier does extend itself during the winter months that it’s not always subsiding, but with the difference between how much it grows and how much it looses every year, I guess the loosing wins.

Hey, check out the snow cover on the mountain, like Nike said at the beginning of the summer it looks like a salamander where as now it looks like a…ok, if you can’t use your imagination and figure that out, send me a personal email and I can answer that for you. Made a stop at the Ice field visitor center to find out what if anything was really worth seeing from here to Jasper and because she pointed out so many places I figure Jasper might be all the farther I get tonight that maybe I should check with the hostel and see if they might have a room available, which fortunately they do so put me down. Ok, according to the handouts I’ve gotten for the Banff and Jasper National Parks, the ride from Lake Louise is suppose to be the most beautiful road in the world…I might have to concur – not only haven’t I seen all roads around the world…but remember this trip is only on day 100 and I have many more I could go, but from what I’ve seen so far, this is an unbelievable ride and like so many roads, there is no better way to see the scenery than on a motorcycle. Ok, now I feel sorry for all of you that can’t experience the way I can, but hopefully my description and pictures’ll give you an idea of what you’re missing, than again any that have gone riding with me know how I like to see the sights and hit it hard.

So when I left the ladies bicycling from Quiet Creek they said honk three times when I passed them that I thought I’d stop to see who needed a ride, but what timing because I met them all at the Athabasca falls. Not a planned meeting spot, but they beat me to it that like I told them, maybe I need to trade my motorbike in for a bicycle so I can make Alaska faster than what it might take me…oh, and the motorbike thing is something I’ve noticed from all the Canadians I’ve met, they don’t call it a motorcycle, but you’ve got it, a motorbike. I bet some of those ladies wished they had a ride on one like mine than what they do have, but their taking a different road than I that we’ll see whether our paths cross again. From the falls decided to take the scenic route to Edith Cavell, another stop than they suggested at the ice fields and the roads aren’t the kind you necessarily want to rid e on a motorbike, but there must be something there to see that I have to press on. Well, once to the end of the trail, to Edith Cavell, realized it was a place you want to spend a day hiking instead of a half hour stop. Well, did take some pictures to show how scenic and beautiful it is there and there was another one of those mountain lakes, in these parts, the aqua green lake.

Since my accommodations for the night are set and everyone, well ok all the visitors center saying that Lake Maligned is the thing to do in Jasper, have to make a trip out there and what a ride. It’s absolutely beautiful along the Mountain Rivers and ok, took it slow on the way there, but now that I know how the road rides, watch out for the ride back. Well, this lake is something else and they do have a boat tour that is worth taking to something that someone has only been able to show me pictures of and is suppose to be breathe taking when you get there, that I decided instead of me paying the $40 to take the same kind of pictures, I’ll wait to share. It’s again one of those things that pictures won’t do it justice, but you have to be standing there taking in the beauty and there’s plenty of beautiful country around here. Did get to meet Nigel and Mark in the boat house cuz I asked them how long it’d take them to paddle me out as far as the boat tour, but found something even better…their transportation from one side of the boathouse to the other that I just had to try it. Did ask how many people have fallen in trying it, but just as long as I do I’ll be a happy camper and did two runs and I can tell you, remained dry.

Made my way to the Hostel so I can get my bed made and cloths unpacked for the morning so I can go downtown to get a little something to eat and write this blog that thanks to Rachel and Laura they got me all setup at the hostel that all I have to worry about is being back before 2:00 when the doors close, and that might be tough with the fun I think I’ll have with this group from Jasper Brewing Company. Great, they have high speed internet, but more of those hot Canadian women and met another guy heading to Alaska, from Canada so it doesn’t count, Mikko, but hey we might in. Emily and Lauren are the hottest of them all and they went and showered and primped themselves just for Mikko and I…oh, boy us lucky guys. Awesome scenery pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, the photos on this leg of your journey are the most beautiful to date. I think I know where I'm going on my next vacation. All I can say is WOW. Enjoy your travels and don't be a stranger.

8/17/2006 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, great pictures! I am one of the girls from the bike group! We all made it safely to Jasper! What a martini party we had!! We are planning to ride the trip in reverse next time!! We will keep you posted.

Tour de Friends
Canmore to Jasper 2006

9/07/2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home