Monday, August 14, 2006

Calgary, Aug 12th

Still in Calgary and tonight Braden and his roommate Joe are showing me the town…more on that later. That hostel that I stayed in last night wasn’t a bad setup at all and although there were a lot of people staying there and not all just young folk, didn’t get a chance to talk to too many of them since I was out late last night whooping it up at the local Irish Pub with Braden and Bre. Could’ve used more sleep and since it had rained earlier and was still a threat, thought I’d stay another night so asked if a bed was available cuz then maybe I could sleep in and get well rested before heading out in search of an internet connection. Well, no bed available that I have to be out of there by 11:00 and can check with them at 2:00 to see if there are any cancellations. Ok, there is another option, Braden offered a place for me to stay so I should give him a call and see if the offer still stands. Got the bike packed and just as I was going to take a shower the guy told me that they just had a bed open up so I could stay for another night if I wanted, but not the same bed I was just in and remember I could use to sleep in. They needed to know now that I made that call to Braden and told him I could have a bed at the hostel if I wanted, but he insisted I stay with him…why pay when you can get it for free he said. Got cleaned up and ready to go and while packing the bike talked to a guy waiting outside who was waiting for a ride to the other hostel since there wasn’t a bed available for him here tonight. Well, I went back in and told them that I didn’t need the bed for a night, but there was a guy waiting outside that was going to the other hostel since there wasn’t a bed available so can I just tell him to come up. Well, the guy asked if it was a guy with a bandana because he had just left his wallet and he could have the bed, so you can imagine how happy the guy out front was when I asked if he had lost his wallet and that they have a bed for him…isn’t it great how things work out? Braden helped two of us out today, something like that movie, ‘Pay it Forward’.

Bike packed, me clean that now I’m in search of a fun little place to hangout this afternoon and get caught up on my blogs since won’t be hooking up with Braden until 3:00 and checkout what I found, a fun little bar called Melrose. Met Sheena sitting on the bench waiting for some t-shirts and invited her to join me and boy am I glad I did. She joined me for drinks and some food in the bar and what a wonderful person to have met and talk to for awhile. She told me as we were coming in that she has a boyfriend so I don’t have any expectations, but like I told her, wrong answer. Well, she told me how happy she is cuz just got out of an abusive relationship and since has met another guy that she has been dating for a month and is smitten with that they’re moving in together in the small town where he lives. Not that she’s into incest, but it’s her mom’s boyfriends son that she’s moving in with and she thinks he is absolutely amazing. Ok, so it wouldn’t be incest, but I asked her how she can make such a move hardly knowing the guy - well, I’ll tell you, one of the things she said which remember, still working on a title for my book was, ‘everything happens for a reason’ so she’s not afraid to make the jump now and see how things turn out, like she said, can’t get any worse than the relationship she was in, but that’s behind her. It’s something how some of these young people just have the right kind of attitude and I love hearing it from a number of people how everything happens for a reason. .

Well, got more of the story on how she ended up here in Calgary because she knew she needed a change of environment to get away from the drugs and abusive relationship and what better way than to move. The other is her brother and his girlfriend live here and she came to work at the Stampede. Now I suppose your asking what is a stampede, well, that was my question and she said it’s a rodeo, chuck wagon, competition and huge fair all wrapped up into one and something that Calgary’s is famous for. She made a connection to work at it and met a guy that set her up with a job at a restaurant here in town, but that won’t last long since she’ll be moving soon to Dryden Ontario, the biggest dive you’ve every seen, but remember, she’s smitten. She said it’s just a little shit hole and the people there aren’t very attractive, well, at least not like they are around Calgary and I’ll tell you, I’ve seen some very beautiful women in these parts. We had a great chat and some good food and she downed enough doubles in a short period of time that she had to get home to sleep them off, but might join the rest of us out tonight. Me, I hung around Melrose all afternoon, even thru the rain and worked on getting caught up on my blogs…it was a really fun place and the crowd just kept getting bigger. Eventually talked to Braden and as long as I have an internet connection would hook up with him at work, yep, he had to bartend for a while tonight, but was going to get off early so we could party. Well, didn’t get my blogs updated cuz just as I was going to download them, lost my connection and even their computer guy couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Well, close to 5:00 so time to head to James Joyce and what’dya know, got a parking ticket on a Saturday afternoon. Told those guys on crouch rockets with their bikes parked outside to let me know if anyone comes to ticket the bike, but apparently I should’ve passed the word on cuz they were long gone.

Met the rest of the crew at James Joyce working tonight and guess what, met another Sheena, I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve met two people with the same name in a day, and I’m not talking a common name, but one that you’ll remember. Well, that wasn’t the only one because eventually met another Bre and she works at Palomino with Bre, remember the one from last night? Did find out Bre is short for their real names that are pronounce the same, but different spelling, remember the Dale’s I’ve met along the way? – same name different spelling. Had to get a picture of the bathrooms downstairs at James Joyce since Braden told me it was the first left last night and had me walking into the women’s bathroom, ok, realized it and walked out right way, but thought that even with the names on the door it’d be hard for people to figure out cuz I’d think they’d be just he opposite, Mna for men and Fir for women, but oh know, it doesn’t work that way. Oh, the other interesting thing that I found with every bar I’ve been into tonight is how they are all downstairs, the rest of the bars we partied in were all that way except for the Cowboy. Saw a saying on the wall in James Joyce that I think was worth sharing.

Made it to the Palomino and had a great bbq dinner as well as meeting everyone I’ll be partying with tonight, more hot Canadian women, Francine and Bre’s sister Teanna. Fred is the owner and talked with him for awhile as well as meeting some of Braden’s other friends that he’s been telling about my travels. Charl and Eda are from Southern Africa and have been living here for years because they love traveling the world and ended up here so had a lot of suggestions of things for me to see when I make it thru the Canadian Rockies…sounds like a lot to see in a day, but if I can make it as far as Jasper, there’s another Hostel I can check out. Things get pretty wild at the Palomino because the staff is encourage to drink with the customers so I don’t know how many shots Peter got for me, but plenty before getting out of there and seeing the rest of the town. Met Braden’s roommate Joe and a local native, yep, Indian Gary who’ll be joining us for the night and for some of those crazy pictures, such as Fran’s ass which they have more of hanging around the bar, someone decided to get funny with my camera while I made a trip to James Joyce to get something off my bike.

Caught Braden carrying a purse, ok, he was just holding it, but it was what led up to that that was something else and something that I learned about Calgary, just how open the sex is around here cuz right out side the bar on the bench which you can see is well lit along the railroad tracks, some guy was getting a little and they had to have known people were watching. Well that was nothing because saw some others going at it on the balcony of the hotel next door…remember the ones that did the same in the hotel at the Rogers Centre in Toronto during a baseball game, well this is right up there? Off to more of the bars in the area and one of them was the Congo room where they had the Latin dancing going on, ok, remember the camera doesn’t work that well in the dark, but I wish I would’ve gotten a better picture of Sunday and Carry, cuz they were hot…but than again, I’ve been thinking that about most of the women around Calgary I’ve been seeing. Had a ??? which was a tasty drink, but man it’ll hit you soon. Made our way to the Cowboy bar and this is the place that Calgary is well known for and apparently the place to come to for the Stampede…I know where I’ll be next year when it’s in town, visiting my friends in Calgary. Well this bar is jumping and found more hot Canadian women, but no Cowboys, just wantabe’s and the women doing all the dancing alone looked like the desperate ones starving for attention cuz the others, the hot ones I should say, just had the guys swarming around them. Ok, why there aren’t any cowboys at this bar, it’s because the real cowboys are at home because they work hard and don’t have time to go out and party so for all you women going to the cowboy bar to find yourself a cowboy, you’re looking in the wrong place. That had me thinking that when you go to a biker bar looking for a biker, that’s what your gonna find, not just a bunch of wantabe’s and for all those friends of mine that like giving me a hard time about being a wantabe biker, maybe this trip’ll prove otherwise…I do ride in the rain and sleep under the stars like a cowboy, around Alaska though, won’t be the thing to do because of the grizzlies. Ok, the night still isn’t over because Joe has this place we need to go to for a night cap and food, Singapore Joe’s. No way I’m getting out of town early tomorrow. Night out on the town pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, do you REALLY believe "everything happens for a reason" ?

8/15/2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale!
It's Lindsay, the curious Jasperite who you met at the Brewery. I hope your travels are going well, and that you're able to check Alaska off of your 'things to do before I die list'.

lindsaysherry@hotmail.com

8/16/2006 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home