Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Beauty Creek, Aug 14th

Beauty Creek Youth Hostel and it is just north of the Columbia Ice fields where I first started this blog…sitting in Columbia Glacier lodge looking at the Ice glacier while waiting for dinner. There is a rustic hostel, as they call it 15 miles up the road that figured would have dinner and then head there to crash for the night since the Jasper hostel is full, but did find out that although the rustic hostel doesn’t have a shower, I can stop into the Jasper one tomorrow on my way thru for a free shower…that’ll work for me. Also just met a group of Wisconsinites, the old guys Green Bay Packer hat gave them away and they are all from around the Green Bay area, Appleton and Kaukauna.

Got another late start today, but sometimes when I’m offered a place to stay for as long as I want, it’s tempting to catch up on some sleep, get caught up on the blogs and spend that extra day, but today, with the weather the way it is and not sure how much longer it’ll last, better hit the road…can always make a trip back to Calgary on my way home which just might be the thing to do. Heading toward Banff because according to everyone I’ve talked to about the Alaska trip, Banff Canada is definitely a place to see and you can see from the pictures that it is a pretty scenic drive from Calgary there, and hey, check out the moon shots. Some of them you have to look hard for, but the moon kept calling for a picture the closer I got to the mountains and Banff wasn’t too far a drive either. Took the first exit for Banff and didn’t find downtown, but found the Banff lodge which I stopped in to get directions to the visitor center and talked to a fellow biker who was behind the desk and gave me directions to the visitor center and suggested some places to eat…remember late start that it’s already time for dinner – ok, didn’t eat anything for breakfast that lunch, brunch’ll work for me. Well, asked Martin what my best route to Lake Louise was which he gave me different directions than what I’ve gotten elsewhere that told him he should show me the roads which is just what he’s gonna do. He’ll join me for lunch after I visit the visitor’s center and can take me as far as Lake Louise, that’s where his directions were different than I’ve gotten elsewhere.

Downtown Banff is beautiful and I can tell you I already consider it a place I want to share with someone for a romantic getaway. Found the Rose & Crown pub which has an upstairs patio to enjoy the beautiful weather and order lunch while waiting for Martin. Wasn’t sure whether he was going to eat with me or not, but got there before my food that we’ll both have lunch before the ride. He has an accent, a French accent and found out he’s from Quebec which I’ve met a lot of people from the east side of Canada that have moved west. Well, he just gave his notice today so is heading back home in a couple of weeks because his girlfriend moved back there and he has a job lined up that he decided he’d rather follow her and can make a trip back here for the back boarding anytime. Had a great lunch, me a bison burger and had a tough time getting Tanya’s picture cuz I decided to ask for a picture instead of just taking it and when I told her it was for my blog and how I’ve said so many of the women I’ve met in Canada are beautiful, she was hesitant until I gave her a card and told her it was on the up and up. She just said she can imagine what kind of body I might put her face on, but hey, with the body you have, works for me.

Martin and I made our way out of town and before leaving town after he dropped off his bag and I got to see more downtown Banff, I told him I think I’m gonna come back, but with out a girlfriend cuz there are too may beautiful women around here lookin for a guy like me…of course it got a laugh, but ya never know what you don’t try. Anyway, Martin said it’d take some time to get to Lake Louise since we’re not doing the freeway, but when I asked him if we could make it in the same town, found out he’ll ride the roads hard which is just what I like to do…hit the curves hard and fast. What a beautiful ride and once to the Lake Louise ski lodge, Martin was heading home and me, gotta take the gondola to the top since the lady at the visitor center in Banff said it’s much better than the Banff Gondola. Ok, found out the Gondola or chairlift, my choice only goes 2/3rds of the way up the hill, but checkout the shots, with scenery like this, I already feel like I’m in heaven. Tried to talk ladies helping board people to come for a ride with me, up the chairlift that is, but couldn’t talk any of them into it, but had just met one of them from Australia that has been in town for 3 days…ok, may be we could see the sites together, but nope, can’t afford to lose a job that quick.

From the ski lodge made it to the lake and also heard Lake Moraine was worth visiting that hit them both and dipped a foot. The lakes in these here mountains are quite impressive and cold, at least that’s what my boot told me…ok, dipped a hand to, but ever since in Canada have had to don the leather. Not sure how well the pictures show it, but the thing with these lakes are their a very impressive aqua color than the blue that Crater Lake had…that one keeps coming up because when someone asks what my favorite site was, it was always that with the Grand Canyon second, but after seeing the Canadian Rockies, that might be hard to top. After hitting the lakes have to make my way to the Columbian ice fields which like everyone who has told me about them, have to do the bus ride onto the glacier. Ok, I need to hit it hard to get there for the last bus tour which is 6:00, and according to the park ranger, it’ll take an hour and a half. Hit it hard and might’ve made it if it weren’t for the road construction, but someone’s telling me to take it easy so I don’t hit any Caribou that might as well just find a place to call it a night around the glacier. Well, to my luck there’s this rustic hostel, remember the one, Beauty Creek that might as well call it a night, hit the ice fields in the morning and head north to Jasper. Well, pulled in just in time because the rain started coming down, yep, in these mountains it can rain anytime anyway that just give me a bed with a roof over my head and the bike’ll be find in the rain. Well, sat at the rustic, remember rustic because it doesn’t have any running water and no electricity, that it’s all lighting by gas…hey that reminds me of the Lake Millac’s ice shack. Ok, the ladies making a bunch of noise in the cook house thought they had to close the door not to bother someone working, me, but I wanted their picture before they went to bed for the night. Oh well, probably should of joined them earlier, but tomorrow is a new day. Did talk to a couple of them and Dorothy reminded me of the word I’ve heard all weekend from a Canadian who thinks something is cool…it’s ‘wicked’, something I heard from Joe a lot, but for the night we had Saturday night – definitely appropriate. Calgary and Banff Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home