Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fort St John's, Aug 16th

You’ll never guess where I am tonight, Eagan…ok, not home, but an Irish pub in Fort St John’s British Columbia, yep, still Canada and I’d say another province that I needed to hit, but already covered that over 60 days ago when I went to Vancouver with Ann…remember, ‘sleepless in Seattle’? Had a great ride today and although I had hoped to get further, once on the Alaskan Highway, the towns, or at least the ones with something going on are far and in between, more on that later. Ok, I should start today’s story with how last night ended and lets just say that Mikko and I had a great time partying with the locals and the new friends we made at the Jasper Brewing Co. who showed us the town and some of it just might have to wait for the book version…can only blog so much of what goes on on the road. You know how I’ve been saying how so many of these Canadian women are hot, well the other great thing about them is they don’t care about age at all cuz if they dig someone, they don’t care how old they are, they just know what they want…ok, the age thing was something I heard from one of them in Calgary, they don’t care about age as long as they are haut. Well, made the rounds to a number of bars in downtown Jasper and met some more of the locals, Melinda, Lindsay and Kwazzy so had to have a few shots with them…ok, me, not going there cuz I still have to crawl on the bike and drive the 5 kilometers to the Hostel and remember Greg from Chicago in Sturgis? that’s not for me. Was great meeting more of the locals and had the same question from one of them that I got in Calgary, what’dya think of Canadians are they really friendly? Well, they definitely are and I’m kinda gettin us to Canada and what I’ve seen…not sure whether I could live here or not, but hey, I still have a whole life ahead of me.

That reminds me of something an older lady at the hostel said to me this morning while packing the bike. She was probably in her late 50’s to early 60’s staying there with here husband and said something about the weather to which I said I just hope it lasts for my trip to Alaska. Well, they had been there a number of times and when I told her I was hoping to make some connections with people in Alaska, but haven’t heard anything yet, that’s where she said, ‘it’s a journey just like life itself…a journey’. Ok so let me get a little philosophical to answer someone’s comment, a question to me on whether I REALLY believe, everything happens for a reason. The way I see it is you have a lot to do with making things happen which I’ve already said something about us searching for something we already have inside and how we deal with people and treat them is what we’ll get back in return. Again, the kind of person you are inside is what kind of people you will attract and the kind of life you’ll find and if you believe in a higher being and that things do happen for a reason, it might make things that happen unexpectedly easier to deal with than getting upset about them. One of the things I’m learning a lot about myself on this trip is I can deal with just about anything thrown my way…no need to get pissed about it, but just deal with it. Someone also asked me how many rude people I’ve come across that goes back to something that Greg and I talked about in Bozeman, how you treat people is normally what you’ll get in return…what is that saying ‘ treat people the way you’d like to be treated’? that hopefully I’m treating people along the way with respect and kindness and very much appreciate their help in my need. How about this, it’s going with the flow and only we can control our own feelings, no one else. Ok, enough, and if whoever it was that left that comment wants to remain anonymous great, but if you’d like to share, let me know your philosophical view.

Ok, back to today’s ride and while leaving Jasper behind saw some of the wildlife these parts are known for and man, they sure grow the deer big around here…I know, their not deer, but Caribou and related to the Reindeer, so would you consider it part of the deer family? Whatever, I just know it’s nothing I’d want to meet on the road with my bike and hittin something that big could do me in. Ya know, that has me thinking while riding what I’d do if I did encounter one and whether laying the bike down to go under it would be the thing to do or not…while I’m knocking on wood, but part of what you have to constantly be aware of while riding is how you might react to a situation cuz it’ll normally happen in a split second and depending on how you deal with it could mean life or death…now where the hell is all of this coming from.

Well, I’ve asked so many people along the way what route I should take to Alaska, that thanks to Adam last night and a couple this morning, I think I choose the right path heading east on 16 toward Edmonton until I hit the sign that said; Scenic Route to Alaska and for Nigel and Mark who said yesterday they’ve heard of people taking the route, but not all the way, hwy 40 north to the Alaska highway is all that it is and it was a beautiful ride…one which I did for you guys so now you know what to tell others who might ask. Was cold enough along the way that thought about stopping to put on warming gear, but kept pushing on until I finally hit a town where I can get something to eat and gear up there. Good thing I did stop where I did cuz met Lyle and Dave and while talking to them about the ride and how I’ll need my 30,000 mile maintenance soon, they said the only Harley shop between hear and Alaska is Grande Prairie that I might want to check with them about having my bike serviced today since it’s an hour and a half away. Well, Lyle looked up the number and dialed if for me where all I could do is leave a message for the service manager, but Shawn, the service manage got right back to me and told me unless I was spending the night they wouldn’t be able to help me out today since they only had one mechanic on hand. Ok, gotta make a stop at a Harley dealer on the way that stopped at the visitors center for exact directions and while there was asked to take a survey which I think the older couple asking the questions got a kick out of my answers, only because they hadn’t come across someone like me traveling around the country and heading to Alaska, but had a great time chatting with them. They also asked if the lady in the visitors center was helpful to which I said she was another one of those hot Canadian women that I’ve seen that although I offered her to ride along, couldn’t cuz she still had to work…I’ll find one that won’t have that excuse yet. While the shop was just up the road and when got there Shawn told me about another Harley dealer on my way to Alaska that I might be able to make plans with them for service in the next couple of days…now that really helps, thanks.

Because of the cold ride this morning and after having talked to a guy at the Columbia Ice fields the other day about his heated vest, thought I’d check it out, but hell, for that HD, you know how everything with HD on it is hundred dollars, don’t need a jacket insert for over 2 hundred dollars just for this ride that layers’ll work. Notice the Cargill sign I saw along the way, kinda made me feel like was home since my sister works for them and what’dya know, they’re in Canada too. Made it to Dawson Creek and for those who don’t know, that’s where mile 0 for the Alaskan highway is, that it’s only appropriate that I hit that on my way to Alaska….oh, and now you do know that if you ever make the trip, you might want to make the stop. Well, while taking pictures asked a couple to take my picture, Jeff and Cass and guess where they’re from…you guessed it Minneapolis that we had a lot to talk about and had a great visit with them. They were coming from Alaska and recommended a number of places I should make a point to see, but man, unless I can extend this trip for another year, I still might not be able to do all that I should while in Alaska that I’ll have to pick and choose…you know for my return trip and was just talking to a guy at the bar about that…how there are so many places that I want to return to and share, but even if I don’t I can at least say I did it and that’ll be more than most can say in a lifetime.

Fort St John’s is a short ride and something that I got from the Dawson Creek visitors center that I thought was funny was a list of the towns along the Alaskan highway and which ones have gas and those that don’t so you can plan your fillups appropriately. Well, my ride from Jasper has had me make a lot more stops I’d otherwise make because I didn’t want to run out and get stranded that now I shouldn’t have an excuse with the mileage between gas stations…ok, just to be on the safe side though, I’ll fill that gas can that Joe and Braden were so nice to offer to me and said, use it…will have to fill it tomorrow so I’m packing my own. On the way from Dawson Creek saw a sign for the old Alaskan highway that I might as well take the trip and boy am I glad I did. Got to see the curved wood bridge I’ve heard about and although I ran gravel part of the way and the rest of the road was in pretty tough shape, it was definitely well worth seeing and riding over…I wonder where they found so many curved trees to get the wood for the bridge…well, only in Canada – ah? Ok, finally here, Fort St John’s and after checking out a campground decided on the second one, where you see the tent pitched and that’s because the old lady with the yapping dogs at the first camp ground scared me that the young ladies at this one are much easier to swallow which brings me here to Eagan, just down the road and hey, not only some more of those hot Canadian women, thanks Ashley and Andy letting me take your’s and the rest of you with excuses, well just that an excuse. Hey, they brought a band in just for me, ok, maybe not, but it’s Mike Alviano who is really good and their first song was ‘Drifters’…doesn’t that sound like they war talking about me? Well, I just might buy myself a cd cuz that other one that’s been on the bike since I started this trip needs to get tossed – you know the one. Tomorrow a new day and more of the Alaskan highway to ride. Kodak backup so here are the pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home