Saturday, August 26, 2006

Homer Alaska, Aug 25th

Homer Alaska at the Salty Dog and you wouldn’t believe who’s sitting next to me…Alek, remember the guys from Michigan that I was following thru Denali? Well, this guy sat next to me and said my voice sounded familiar that after a little question and answer, hey, we met in Denali Park. Alek and his buddy Brian were the ones I was following and just to verify that they were in the same spot as me, you can see their picture with my bike in the background…the picture of them that I took. And to correct my mistake the other day, Alek is heading to Kodiak and it’s not for the army, but Coast Guard…ok, my mistake, but I didn’t remember that the other day, hell I didn’t even get their names or pictures since I was following them all day. Ended the night last night at Darwin’s theory and had a lot of fun with Debbie, Leah and Tanya, like Tanya Tucker and hey, I might have another place in Anchorage to stay. Tanya would let me stay on her couch and no her boyfriend wouldn’t have a problem with that because he loves bikes, that it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s great making all these connections since my other Anchorage connection fell thru, but hey, things do happen for a reason and if I can change how they happen, than all the power too me…right? Oh, and before I forget, can you believe the Salty Dog has a wireless high speed internet connection?...definitely my kinda bar.

Woke up today to rain and if it hadn’t been raining, I would’ve thought I was someplace other than Alaska, but remember, it’s rained on me every day since I’ve crossed into this state. I keep asking the natives…no not the Indians when it’s going to stop raining and keep hearing how wet a summer this has been and remember, August isn’t a good time to visit this state since it’s the rainy time of year. Ok, I’ll deal with it again so strapped on the rain gear and made my way to REI to get that $30 off on my jacket I bought yesterday. Incase I didn’t mention it, it was going on sale today that although they couldn’t give me the sale price last night, although I tried working it, just have to come back with my receipt and they’ll give me the sale price. From there, where else than the Harley shop and the nice thing is, they have a place to park bikes out of the rain. Ok, I can hang out here for a while and starting bothering more of them working, so got a picture of them, Jenny, Dia, Trevor, Maggie and Rocky so was able to waste sometime and figure out my plan for the rest of the day. Since it’s raining here in Anchorage might as well head toward Homer and when I called the Hostel to see if they had a bed available, Will told me the weather was sunny south so I’m heading south. While packing up for my trip, met Richard who was dropping off some bikes and found out he was from Soldotna a town just north of Homer and it wasn’t raining where he came from that how about loading my bike and giving me and the bike a ride to there so I don’t have to ride in the rain. Ok, not even I’m gonna cheat that if I’m going to Homer, I’ll ride rain or shine, but he will be able to help me out because I asked if he could haul my t-bag so I don’t have to worry about that getting wet, which he said, not a problem would love to do that for you. Great, I only have to worry about me getting wet and not my cloths or other things in my t-bag, even though I have wash to do.

Heard the Seward highway was temporarily closed, but should be able to get thru on a bike that time to head south and what a beautiful ride. Can only imagine how beautiful this scenery will be on a clear day, and maybe if you’re lucky, my return trip to Anchorage heading home will be a clear sunny day. Saw some moose along the way, a cow and her calf which was worth capturing as they were crossing the swamp and tried taking as many pictures of the Turnagain Arm as I could, but remember, riding thru some cold rain that only got pictures when I stopped to share…so at least appreciate that much. Stopped for lunch at the Summit Lake Lodge and you can see how beautiful the landscape is just around here. Still over 100 miles from Homer, but had to at least stop for the pictures and it turned out to be a good time to eat.

Still heading south and guess what I encountered, sunshine, yippee, out of the rain and the first time this trip that I’ve actually had sunshine to ride thru, that it felt great. Met 3 guys from St Louis, Shawn, John and Chris that drove up to spend some time salmon fishing and Greg was making sure we were taken care of and our bikes ready to ride. While at the Soldotna shop, also met some guys riding thru from Juneau so got their take on what ferries to take to Juneau and although I wanted to take pictures, they were colored and not all having very good standard to cross the border thru Canada that their bikes were hauled to Anchorage before they started riding south. Ok, when I say colored, it’s a biking thing that a lot of biker bars will have something on not wearing your colors…association to a particular biker gang. Well, Richard showed up with my t-bag, bone dry that I was ready to pack the bike and head south to Homer, with even more sunshine and since this isn’t a helmet state, although I’ve wore my helmet every day to stay warm rode the rest of the way without that it feels funny with hair…to use to the wind blowing over my bald head than thru my hair that eventually had to put on my derby.

More beautiful scenery to see along the way and I’m glad I made the trip down here, even though I thought about heading toward home with the rain that I woke up too, but why cut this experience short since you never know, could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Alaska…well, not if I have any control over that because will definitely be back. Made my way to the hostel and Will set me up with a bed and directions to the spit as well as making reservations to go out Halibut fishing tomorrow, that’ll have to try to get some sleep to be able to get up early to fish. Something a lot of people have mentioned I should do, Halibut fishing, that Homer is the Fishing Capital for Halibut. Stopped at the local Safeway on my way to the spit to get my one day fishing license and before dinner, had to get pictures of the Salty Dog where I’m ending the night, but made my way to Finn’s for some great pizza and while there met a family and friends from New York, hey I was thru there about a month ago, that some of them live here during the summer for the fishing and the others are visiting, and again, sorry no pictures, but it’s just the story…and that brings me to the Salty Dog where Alek and I hooked up, and met a lot of other people from Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Well, when you have a Harley shirt from Wisconsin on, someone hears you mention Minnesota and others hearing Michigan, all of a sudden you are making more friends before the nights over with and that’s what this trip is all about, the friends I’m making along the way.

Have been thinking of what that lady at the Jasper Hostel said to me how life is an adventure, and I’m living life high right now. Alaska is a beautiful state and definitely something that should be on everyone’s top 10 things to do in life. Me, I get to check that off, but still have a lot more to shoot for before this life is over. Seward Highway Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home