Friday, August 25, 2006

Anchorage Alaska, Aug 24th

Anchorage Alaska at the local tourist hang out, the Glacier Brewhouse and they have some pretty tasty beer. Just found out from Christine and Jen that it’s the tourist hangout during the summer and should be at Darwin’s Theory that I’ll capture a few of my thoughts and make a trip over there to see how the locals party. Said good bye to Carlo Creek and although I was in a tent for the night, not only did I get a good night sleep, but my tent partner didn’t say anything about my snoring…well, sorry to say, no tent partner tonight, but still working on it. Got a late start, but with a little over 200 miles to go and it was drizzling this morning, maybe if I wait the rain will pass and I’ll have a dry ride, which was the case by 10:30 this morning. The road was dry so packed the rain gear away hoping I wouldn’t need it today, but hey, this is Alaska and anything can happen. Oh, that reminds me of something Zlatna said last night, also from Bulgaria and a friend of Zara’s who you met the other night, but she said those who come to Denali park or visit the mountains seem to be more adventurous than those that go to a beach, that when you think about that, she’s probably right. The beach weather is more predictable and even if you get some rain, you know it’ll still be warm, but in the mountains the weather and surroundings are so unpredictable that you might have to deal with something new every day…something I’m definitely learning about riding thru Alaska, but loving every minute of it – even in the cold rain.

Got a number of pictures along the way heading south toward Anchorage and finally pulled over in Sunshine for a little something to eat…was a gas stop that someone was telling me they were hungry that the family restaurant next door will work. While there a couple of bikers from Anchorage stopped in so I asked what the weather south was like and they said nothing but rain, but I was able to give them good news that I didn’t get rained on from Denali at all. Ok, it’s still not raining that I might as well wait with the rain gear, but I guess I should’ve listened to those guys because it wasn’t more than 2 miles down the road when I hit the rain so had to don the rain gear. That makes every day I’ve rode thru Alaska a day riding in the rain, and still have almost 100 miles to go. Oh, well, it warms me up a little with the rain gear on, my face is taking a beating…ok, I know there’s a joke in there somewhere, but save it.

That explains the lack of pictures before getting to the Anchorage Harley shop, but did make a stop at the Wasilla shop, thought it was one of the ‘Mother Load’, but found out it’s associated to Anchorage who has a 3 t-shirt package…ok have those two of the way that what’s the third that maybe I’ll have to get that bag of shirts too. The reason for hitting the Harley shops along the way is I feel safe and in good company and that has been the case with every one of them that I’ve visited…and Selina, you have a lot of admirers here in Alaska. You wouldn’t believe who I ran into at the Anchorage dealer either, Paul from my first night in Carlo Creek. He rode the 15 miles into Denali yesterday and headed to Anchorage to visit some friends and just happened to be at the Harley shop getting parts for his BMW…remember Bruce needing Harley tools to get a Honda going, well even BMW’s need some better parts. He helped me with some suggestions as well as Heather getting what I need and although a heated vest would be great, I’ll put that on my wish list that a wind breaker for under my jacket and warmed gloves will do today. Well, they happen to have my size wind breaker which will help under my jacket when not wearing the rain gear, but like Paul said there’s an REI just down the road that I might be able to get the same thing there and as an REI member, maybe cheaper.

Ok need a place to stay and Turtle from service as well as Crystal and Clay helped me out with that. There is a hostel right downtown that’ll put me within walking distance of this place, but there is also a small park next to the dealership where they let people, like myself camp for free with a code to the bathrooms which also have showers. Hey, it’s free, but with the rain, I think I’ll try the Hostel. Trevor set me up with some things to do while in town and with the state fair going on that might be the thing to do, but for being 40 minutes away in the rain…might have to take a rain check. Well, once again, met another person with the same name in a day and that was Paul and guess what, another Minnesotan. He’s been in town for a day and was riding with a couple of other guys from Minnesota that decided to bail and head home because of all the rain and cold in Alaska, but remember some of us aren’t quitters and like he said, he still had two weeks that he wasn’t gonna cut it short. Well, was nice talking to him, and you might not have noticed, but had a Green Bay Packer hat on…thata boy. Did make my trip to REI and what’dya know, they have just what I’m looking for and it’s on sale, tomorrow, but I can buy it now and come back in the morning to get my discount and it’s much like this jacket I got for Christmas that I just love…same kind of material so it should cut the wind and help keep me warm on these cold days.

Eventually made my way to the hostel and this is going to be another interesting place to stay, but in a room with two Russians and lock down is 1:00 - first time I ran into a place that locks the doors that I’ll have to call it quits early tonight. And that brings me to the Glacier Brewhouse where who do I get to share a bar table with other than, Amy, Hernan, Bruce, Denielle and Chuck and we found out just how small a world it is. Amy and Bruce are from Milwaukee and Denielle a small town north of there, Slinger, but like I told her, have been there to party a number of times since have a friend with a house on Big Cedar Lake…yep, what a small world. Hernan is from south of Colorado Springs and Chuck from a small village south of Homer that the only way to get there is to fly, that he’s retired his wife working in the medical field and he’s here to pickup a friend at the airport coming to visit from the states. Had an enjoyable talk with them all and the four, Amy, Hernan, Bruce and Denielle were leaving to go to another place for dinner, but Chuck and I enjoyed some awesome fish, him the blackened salmon and me the grilled Halibut that it was a great meal…and that brings me to the bar where I met Christine and Jen who I’ll have to see whether I can hook up with later or not…remember Darwin’s Theory.

While sitting at the bar a few others joined me and got to meet Larry and Allen who run a bed and breakfast in Anchorage and told them if I would’ve known, maybe could’ve stayed at their place for a discount. Well, a bit more than the hostel, but Allen being from Park River North Dakota, a small town near Grafton where one of my curling teammates is from, would let me stay free if I made a trip thru Park River on my way home...ok, which do I get to do first, stay free and promise to make a trip thru there or make the trip first and hope for a return trip to Alaska. Well, did decide to ask and like Allen said, can stay for free tonight if I want because they do have a room open…ok bikes unpacked that do I really want to pack it up in the rain and make the trip, that I think I’ll take a rain check…hey, maybe that free room will be available when I come back thru Anchorage. Ok, going to see what Anchorage has to offer and’ll let you know first thing in the morning, or at least my next available connection. Kodak back up, pictures to come later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home