Thursday, August 31, 2006

Valdez Alaska, Aug 29th

The Pipeline Club in Valdez Alaska…you know the place, it’s where captain Hazelwood got lit up before running the oil tanker ashore. Well, not sure how much it’s changed since, but never been here before and I can see why someone might have a few drinks, not much else going on in town. Last nights camping gig wasn’t bad at all and although the riding is cold, the sleeping weather is great. The Harley shop woke me up with the music, but time to get some things done today before moving on. With that, I have a lot of people to thank for helping me out and getting me on the road today prepared for more of what Alaska has to offer. A big thanks to Steve and Ashley, the pharmacist in the family for getting my drugs transferred from Walgreen’s to Costco, no Walgreens in Alaska that had to find someplace to refill my needed drugs and that also includes the gang at Costco, Scottie for ringing me up, Sam for taking my order and listening to my story and Alysia for tracking down the transfer…I’ll be ok now that I’m medicated. Next stop, Best Buy to get myself another camera since I can’t wait until Whitehorse to replace another broken camera, too much Alaska to see and as long as Canon isn’t any help, maybe Best Buy will be and according to Mark, if I buy the extended service, they will give me a new one on the road incase the camera fails on me. Ok, so maybe I’m making a mistake getting another Canon, but according to Mark and the rest, this one on sale, $50 off is the best you can get and some of the problems I had with the SD450 should be resolved with this one…we’ll see about that, but I believe in the 3 strikes you’re out so’ll have to see how this holds up and as long as Best Buy would replace it, can’t go wrong with that. I guess that will also be a wait and see since I’ve gotten a different story from a number of Best Buys, but Mark said, just give him a call and he’ll take care of it…oh, and thanks for shipping the rest of the package home for me.

Before purchasing another camera, called the Whitehorse camera shop to let them know the one they sold me went out to make sure I can return it and thanks to Corey for taking care of me and calling Canon. Told him to have them look up how many times I’ve called with a complaint about a camera to see if that’ll make a difference, but the camera shop has a 7 day return policy and since I called and it’s only a couple of days past the 7 day mark, they should be able to take care of me…will find out when I get to Whitehorse, but it must be happening for a reason – that reason to get me back to Whitehorse and I know one place I’ll be visiting, the Harley shop. Next on the list was David and Turtle, remember I talked about Turtle my last time thru Anchorage, but didn’t get a picture that got him in this one. They helped me with directions and David told me of a lodge between Glenn Allen and Valdez worth staying at, but for $114, not sure I want to spend that kind of money, but will at least check out the place…and Turtle, it would’ve really been a big help if you had packed my tent by the time I got done with my errands, but maybe next time. Ok, still have to buy some more stuff to keep me warm and as long as one beanie is worn out, time to get another that Cara took care of me with some help from Mark - he gave me that discount I asked about, you know the 20% off Tuesday? it never hurts to ask and if you do it nicely, it seems to work.

Finally after all that running around time to say good bye to Anchorage and see what the trip to Valdez has to offer and you wouldn’t believe it, didn’t get a good chance to see Mt Denali going thru the Denali park, but come to Anchorage and you might get a good shot…pretty sure that’s it in the picture, but so many mountains around here that you never know…well, someone might be able to verify it for me. When I did pull over to take the picture another biker, a chick on a bike pulled over to make sure everything was ok, and although I didn’t get a picture of her, since I had to pull up to where she stopped I know what she was after, she just wanted to follow me to the Alaska State Fair. I didn’t pull in when she did, but I have a ways to go to Valdez and need to start heading north to Whitehorse yet today that I better boogie. The Glenn Allen highway that I’ve heard so much about is definitely a beautiful ride and you can see some of that by the pictures that I took. A curving road running along the river which is a wash from another glacier which caught along the way and it is quite the ride…again, the only way to soak it in is on a bike, but if you don’t believe that by now, you should really try it.

Made it to the Glenn Allen junction and captured a picture of the mountains toward where I need to go and it looks like the mountains are going to have weather of their own, and so far, haven’t been rained on although I’ve hit some wet roads, just missing the rain that what will the rest of the ride bring? Well, headed south toward Valdez and one of the things you have to get a picture of, is the Alaskan pipeline. May have pulled off somewhere I shouldn’t be, but got a good picture of it and that reminds me of what a number of cops have done to me along the way. Have run into a number of them going the opposite way than me and remember I like to pump it up a little, the speed that is, that they just turn on their lights so I can slow down instead of pulling me over…but hey, I have people to see and places to be – wait, maybe not people to see, but places to be that it’s a lot better than getting pulled over. Ok, so I couldn’t give the trooper those bedroom eyes and sad story that the females get away with, but maybe my travel story will work…that is unless I run into a female patrol, then I’ll use what he women do to get off, a little of the opposite sex charm – works for most.

You can see from the clouds and since mountains have a mind of their own, that there’s a good chance I’ll get rained on and even though yesterday was just a spitting, there’s no way I can go a day without any precipitation, is there? of course not…remember this is Alaska. I will say I was fortunate enough not to hit the heavy stuff which obviously came thru by how wet the roads were, but did get spit on again and kept riding because I wasn’t getting wet enough to don the raingear and can see there’s clear weather ahead…on the other side of the pass that I’ll take my chances. Saw another glacier that of course have to check it out and these are one of the few that don’t have a tour to the toe, but a hike at your own risk that of course I’ll check that out. It was a long walk that at this point pictures will work because just want to get to Valdez to see what that is like. Well, eventually pulled into town, but only after some more incredibly viewing along the way of mountains, rivers and waterfalls…enjoy since I’m connected again – you know, the third digital camera in less than 120 days. It’s already late enough, 8:30 and have forgot to mention since being in Alaska, that although it’s not light out 24 hours, it’s pretty late, after 11:00 before it’s dark and light early, about 3:00 that you do lose track of time pretty easy, and for me, the bike is still central time that I have a little math to do, subtract 3 hours. Found a Wisconsin/Minnesota connection at the Aspen Inn, but for $120 there’s gotta be something cheaper that they pointed me to the Keystone Hotel. Ok, so the room may not be much for what it costs, but my bike is under cover just outside my bedroom window that it won’t get wet tonight…works for both of us and let’s see, has been 12 days of either rain or getting spit on that what’dya think tomorrow will bring? Gonna head toward Whitehorse that tune in and see what the weather as well as travels east have to offer. Valdez Pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 2 weeks to Fall Ride in Tomahawk, WI. Are you coming back this way in time to ride/stay with the Wausau Klan/Manson Lake Riders???? Starts on Thursday eve Sept 14th. Ends on Sunday Sept 17th. Demo rides on Friday for the boys during the day, steet dance on Friday eve. Riding & Dinner @ Manson Lake on Saturday.
Call me.

Chris

8/31/2006 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home