Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Prince Rupert Canada, Sept 4th

Prince Rupert British Columbia, yep Canada that finally out of Alaska which means no rain, right? Well, not today which would make every day since entering Alaska, except for one, with some form of precipitation? Ok, quit your complaining cuz I’m still seeing some unbelievable country and living a dream…oh, and Chris just informed me that the next couple of beers are on him and Donna since it’s not too often they meet someone doing what every bikers dream is; ‘Living to Ride and Riding to Live’ that it’s like a brotherhood since it’s something that everyone who rides would love to do…ok, maybe not only those that ride, but everyone who wakes up breathing every day – more on them and our talk later. Tried taking a picture of the Prince Rupert port and the lights I saw along the shore, but you can see that it was nothing but fog that the camera picked up. Another one of those foggy ports, but last night the horn wasn’t blasting every couple of minutes that it must have been closer to port that we hit the fog. Oh, well they brought us into Canada without incident that now let’s see whether I can get over the border or not. Once again it took longer than normal, even though I didn’t have to go thru the border building, but I must’ve answered the hot Canadian border patrol’s questions right, and one of them which was a surprise was where is St Stephens which I was at in early July…that’s an easy one, New Brunswick, the chocolate capital of Canada – ay. She must’ve liked that answer cuz that’s all it took to get me over the border.

Ok, in an unknown town in a foreign country early in the morning with nothing but fog around that I really feel lost. Missed Liz getting off the ferry that I’m not sure where to go or what to do, but I think I’m big enough to figure that out myself. Drove thru downtown and it is absolutely dead around here, that maybe it’s one of those episodes from the ‘Twilight Zone’, you know, a lost soul in a strange empty town. Well, did find a Tim Horten’s much like an Embers back home, but this one is only a bakery that they sent me across the street to the hotel for some breakfast. Great, the hotel was really helpful and was going to find the hostel I’m staying at and find out what time I can check in while I have a little breakfast. Didn’t remember the name of the hostel, but once I described it, they knew exactly which one I was talking about, the Pioneer – great their taking great care of me already. Spent a little time on yesterday’s blog and trying to waste as much time as I could since I still have over an hour before checking in, but had a great breakfast. The directions from the hotel to the hostel were easy and it was only a couple of minutes up the road that showed up only to find an empty hostel…another one of those ‘Twilight Zone’ episodes, but apparently everyone was still in bed and Christy had stepped out for a while…she’s the one running the hostel. Spent some time on the couch resting up since I didn’t get much sleep the night before, remember, lost an hour and in to port early that I just need to relax for a little.

Christy showed up to check me in, but I was a little worried with here warning. Apparently there’s been an outbreak of bedbugs in some of the hostels that they aren’t allowing people to use their own sleeping bags and some of their luggage shouldn’t’ be brought in…more from the foreign sources, but I haven’t used my own sleeping bag yet in a hostel that hopefully I’ll be bug free…does get you thinking about it when you feel an itch, did a bedbug get me or not. Asked Christy what there was to see and where there is to ride that although there is a road that will take me east thru Canada, just in the Prince Rupert and Port Edwards area, not going to take long at all to see everything. Got caught up on my blog since they have high speed wireless and this hostel is finally coming to life that it might not be that bad after all…well that was when I saw the hot blonde staying here. Ok, enough and hope to make a connection later that time to ride and see what there is to see around this town and although the sun started coming out while having breakfast, it was already starting to cloud over that I better get going.

Did find a road that had an end in Port Edwards and it was an awfully rough one, but have to see what’s at the other end. A pickup in front of me stopped and turned around because of the bumps, but you know me, until I reach the end haven’t accomplished what I set out to do that will keep going for it and sure enough, the end which wasn’t much…looks like an old fishing community that the theme of the day continues – you know, another episode from the ‘Twilight Zone’. Found my way back and another road with an end was the one to Ridley Island that have to see what that has to offer and it turned out to be just a port…one for grains and coal, but still some pretty wicked pictures of the bay. Finally on the way back to Prince Rupert and passed something that I had to turn around for and found the tree of lost soles. Ok, you know how I started this with being a lost soul in an empty town today, that it has really turned out to be a weird day. Well, I was getting a little hungry since I’ve spent the majority of the day looking for a lost soul that made my way to Breakers Pub, and only after seeing the ‘Sunken Garden’… hey that must be a sign for a lost soul that there is a lot of beauty in life that all you have to do is look for it…ok, where did I get off from track?

Well, since it’s starting to rain and I don’t need to ride every day in rain, stopped in where, Laura, Jennifer and Amanda took good care of me. You know me, need more than one taking care of me that I’ll get to know them all before the days over. Well, not much riding to do after that, that tried to catch up on a little of that sleep that I lost on the ferry. Just a little cat nap, a shower and time for me to head back to Breakers where Liz was going to meet me for dinner. You can see didn’t have dinner at Breakers, but she knew of a place in town worth eating at that got to see a little more of what Prince Rupert is trying to offer to tourist along the way. Made our way to the Waterfront Restaurant where we stuffed ourselves, and although Liz wanted to pick up the bill, thanks but we can go Dutch tonight…but thanks for buying the beers. Ok, the rain still isn’t letting up and the Breaker Pub has been like a home away from home that eventually we made our way back there where we had, Emily, Christine and Kirsten helping me out…remember I said I’d get to know them all before the night was over that did just that…and that brings me to meeting Chris and Donna. They are both new to biking and Chris decided on getting a couple of bikes and make a trip from the Edmonton area here instead of a Hawaii vacation that they are loving what they are doing. They have had great weather, great scenery, love the smells and have had great things happen to them along the way, that like Chris put it, Karma happens to good people…hey wasn’t I saying something about that back on day 69 at the Yankee game when Liz…what’dya know another Liz, and she said something about me having good Karma? Well, now if you go with Chris’ definition, I must be a good person…hell, for those that know me if you haven’t thought that already, you must know a different DaleJ. Oh, and the other thing, incase I haven’t told you, since Sturgis obviously wasn’t the end of my journeys; I thought the Tomahawk rally in Wisconsin the weekend of my birthday would be a great way to end this portion of my journey. I had a great time my first year there last year and had a great bday celebration, that might as well make that rally the end of this segment, that the ironic thing is, guess where Chris and Donna are from…yep, you got it, Tomahawk, no not Wisconsin but Alberta that just hearing that must mean something – ok, sometimes you have to figure out what it means yourself, that if you still need help…sorry, but remember, look within. Prince Rupert Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home