Saturday, September 09, 2006

Jasper Alberta Canada, Sept 7th

Jasper Alberta again, remember I was here 23 days ago and had so much fun that had to find out who from my last visit was still here. Well, the ladies moved on, back to school that the only one still left from last time is Adam and him and Dave are taking good care of me and that’s while I was chatting it up with Tara. She’s from Edmonton and just needed to get away since she recently broke up with her fiancé, finally realizing she deserved better than the way she’s been treated and although he’s promised to change…that ain’t gonna happen – sounds familiar to me, but hey, like I told her, she’ll eventually find her way. Ok, like I said yesterday about the hostel at Smithers, you should definitely consider it instead of a hotel room because one, the cost is cheaper and if you stay in one of the two private rooms you get a private bath to yourself that I do believe it nicer than any hotel in town and a lot that I’ve stayed in. Hans and Tina take great care of the place and are really a couple everyone should meet. I had a great time talking with them yesterday when I got there, and they even pulled their truck out from the overhang so I could park my bike rain free for the night. Tina took a picture of me this morning for their scrap book and once again a great conversation with them this morning…very friendly and personable and welcome anyone who comes their way, even a biker like me.

Said goodbye to Smithers and although it was spitting a little bit earlier, was rain free and dry for my ride. Did start off a little cold, but hey, this is northern Canada and maybe you can notice by some of the pictures that the leaves are already starting to turn color…some great colors that I tried to capture, but might have to work with the pictures a little to get the pictures of the flowers to be as bold as they are in real life… which has me thinking about part of the ride – the ride into Jasper thru the Pine’s, the only way I could think to describe it is put yourself in the middle of the woods with nothing but pine trees around you, close your eyes and enjoy the smell…I got a lot of that along the way and got to experience four of the senses, touch (the way the bugs and wind blow by), sight (just look at what I’m looking at), smell (can you imagine it) and sound (a lot of wind, but you can hear some of the wildlife around you)…don’t think you’d experience any other way than on a bike. Hell, might have covered all 5, because with some of the smells come a certain kind of taste, if you know what I mean, that on a bike get to enjoy all the senses.

Tried to capture the thing I was talking about yesterday with one sign listing the cities and the next the Indian reservations, but not sure I got the jest of the signs, apparently they are both listing different cities, so the first must be the major cities and gas stops while the others are just cities along the way. Not sure, but not going to worry about it either as long as I can get gas when in need and for having carried a gas can with me thru Alaska, only needed it once and used it another time, no it wasn’t needed, but instead of the ferries having to put it in the paint locker, I just emptied it out, the gas can that is... hey, I can return it to Joe and Braden when I visit Calgary again. Well, made my way to the Prince George Harley shop and saw the guys again doing the demo rides who were in Smithers just yesterday when I pulled in. They are from Edmonton and going around to a number of the dealerships doing demo rides and although I’d like to take one of the new Street Glides out, like the one I have, figured I’ll wait for the Tomahawk rally which means I have to start bogeying home soon. Thought too, they might have an open house and free food like Smithers, but only had some left over donuts…hell, that’s better than nothing.
Back on the road and have over half a tank of gas that sure I’ll hit a gas station before too long, but may have thought wrong. Did find something as my warning light was coming on, remember the one that if you don’t notice it, you’ll be out of gas in not time? Well, did notice it and stopped at this little dive only to find regular unleaded instead of the premium so asked how far to the next gas station which one, found out too far that I need gas now and according to another one of those hot Canadian’s one from the backwoods this time, you don’t want to run out of gas along the road because last year they found parts of a dead body scattered around by a grizzly. Apparently some guy ran out of gas and was trying to hitch hike for gas when a grizzly got him and they found his foot close to this station, head a few miles up and body close to the car, that ok, I’m convinced…give me gas.

There’s also something else pretty scary on the roads and it’s those logging trucks, especially the ones with bigger loads than the one I captured and they’re coming around a corner at you….you just pray that they stay in there lane and nothing falls off, cuz if it did, I’d be a goner. Oh well, if that’s how it’ s gonna happen it’ll just happen, but I’ll take the outside lane just to give myself a little bit of a chance. The closer to Jasper I get the better the scenery gets and you can see from the mountains, and some still with snow to the rivers, creeks and lakes that I am going into Canadian Rocky country and coming in on the warmer side of things. Have noticed how the temperature keeps going up the further east I go so one good thing is happening heading east, well, maybe more than one since I am heading toward home, but lost another one of those hours…the only thing wrong with heading east, keep losing time that maybe I should head west just one more time. The time zone change comes when entering Alberta and only have another 30 some kliks before Jasper that will just enjoy the ride and scenery along the way and forgot, since entering the park again, remember last time entered thru Banff, have to pay the toll, like the national parks in the states, but sorry, my year pass doesn’t work here. Oh, well, pay by the day and as long as I’m gonna be in the park only for one day, not too bad a toll.

Made Jasper and look what’s lying by the edge of the road with not a worry at all, one hell of a rack that I know a lot of people who’d like to bag that. Ok, guys, the other racks will come in Calgary, that tonight, it’s an Elk. Made my way down to the Jasper Brewing Company and although the ladies aren’t around to help me, got some help from Adam and Dave. Called the hostel I had stayed at last time and they are already full, that is except for females for the female dorm that asked whether there might be a lady staying in the coed dorm that might be willing to stay in the female dorm so a guy could get in, but no luck…now that’s where I talked about that not being right before, couples can’t sleep together anyway since they have their own beds that does it really make a difference to them all whether their in the same bunk bed or not? Oh well, the guys pointed me to B&Bs in town that can be as cheap as $50 a night and there are a lot of them in town. You can walk up and down a street and in one block see half the block with a sign saying they have approved accommodations, but all that I saw said no vacancy, and when called got the same. What the hell was I thinking…hey reminds me of a country song, but why do I have a sleeping bag and tent for anyway, that you can see, made my way to the local campground and setup there. Didn’t hear what I wanted to, but the ranger said, make sure you don’t have anything out or in the tent that smell because the bear are out and about this time of year and watch out for the Elk since it’s their mating season…great, I myself probably smell sweet and tasty to a bear that tonight, will just have to chance it. Back downtown and before hitting the brew house again, went next door for some pretty tasty prime rib. Have been in the mood for some of that Alberta beef that had to try it and it is pretty good and my timing was perfect because I got one of the last two pieces so they cut’em bigger than the specials were…lucky me. Well, we’ll see about that since made my way to the brew house and bellied up next to Tara for some good talk. Had a nice talk with her, but found out she’s one of those depressed female souls that not even anything I can do for her…hell I tried to cheer her up, but sometimes they need more – medication. Did like here tattoo and told her just meeting her and seeing that, ‘Never Settle’ has me thinking more and more that I have a lot of life still to live and tomorrow is a new day. Oh, and not sure what day this month is the official full moon, but looks awesome thru the trees in the campground that just that alone has me realizing why so many people camp…that’s as long they are looking to the moon baby – like I do every full moon I see. Entering the Canadian Rockies pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home