Monday, September 11, 2006

Winnipeg Manitoba, Sept 11th

Remember what today is about, 9/11 and how it’s changed the world we live in…

Winnipeg Manitoba that another one of the Canadian provinces and the last one I’ll be visiting on this trip. Didn’t get going as early as I wanted to, but when you have to take a bath instead of a shower, sometimes you just want to soak…ok, not really, but was a late night and Maggie fed me plenty of shots that needed my sleep. Packed and said my goodbyes to Saskatoon, that ready to go and Mike told me last night that the drive to Winnipeg was only about a 7 hour trip, 6 if I push it which is normally the case, that have plenty of time to make it. Also have a bed reserved in the Hostel that won’t have to worry about finding a place to spend what will probably be my last night in a foreign country…on this trip that is. Took the Yellowhead Trail as they call it, highway 16 and that’s because once again, surrounded by nothing but golden wheat fields and when that wind is blowing across the prairies, it really blows. Didn’t get too many pictures because it is really nothing but flat and gold all around that there were few places to capture other than wheat fields and I’ve had my share of them…again, especially when the winds blowing across them the way it does…have been flying across Canada though.

Didn’t get a picture of the truck stop I hit along the way for a little soup and sandwich for lunch, but almost thought about just turning around and booking when I walked into the place and there’s this old guy sitting next to the kitchen door who had apparently just threw up on himself.. My first thought, so that’s how drunk the cook got that he couldn’t handle it, but apparently some trucker passed out, forgot to take his medication for his blood pressure that lost it and the ambulance has 60 kliks before they’ll get there. Oh well, the soup and sandwich were ok and I needed to get something in my stomach this morning after the night I had last night. Not going to make it to my favorite named Canadian town, Regina, but I remember the first time I heard the name and you can imagine what I was thinking and no, I wasn’t Regina, but it’s…ok, if you really need to know than you’re not using your imagination. Well, it is out of the way that had I taken the Trans Canadian highway from Calgary that all the truckers take could’ve ended up there last night, but hey, then I might not have had the kind of fun I found in Saskatoon last night would I?

The trip to Yorkton wasn’t supposed to be that bad, but man it took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would. Might not help that I have a cross wind today instead of a tail wind, but did eventually find the place and the Harley shop…remember my home away from home that’ll make a stop and find out how much farther to Winnipeg which was disappointing to hear – 4 hours at least. Well, made my way and actually saw some trees and water that have to capture those since I’m seeing something other than wheat fields, but trust me, still a lot more of them to be seen. Made it to Manitoba and today another one of those hours lost, but at least this time it’ll be my last for a while since I’m now back on central time and will probably stay there for a while…we’ll see what the job market has to offer and whether I stay in the cities or not, because there are plenty of other country out there and some other great places that I could see living in…maybe even a foreign city, like Calgary, that only time will tell.

Did see something weird just outside of Winnipeg, some hay houses, and wish I would’ve captured a picture of all of them lined up the way they were…ok, not houses, but just the way their piled and covered with the white tarps, they look like houses. Found my way to the hostel and it’ll be another one of those interesting ones, but my last for a while. Some older guy who was just checking in and is gonna be in the same room was asking where I was from which you know I have to ask the same. Well, his is an interesting story because he’s from British Columbia that asked why so far east that he said he came to see his girlfriend. Ok, also strange that why are you checking into a hostel instead of staying with her when he gave me the story how he spent over a thousand bucks hoping to get laid, well ok, you can tell how that went. For me, time to get something to eat and watch a little Monday night football even though it’s only the Queens playing that had a great Italian meal at Bella Vista and made my way here, the Nook where Caycie is taking good care of me…yea a different spelling, but like she said here, parents were hippie types. Oh well, tomorrow, head south for the states and we’ll see if they’ll let me back in. Haven’t been gone that long and no, don’t have any alcohol, tobacco or fire arms from Canada to bring back with me. More Prairie Pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home