Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tomahawk Wisconsin, Sept 15th

Got up earlier than I’ve been use to on most of my journey, but places to go and things to do that ok, I can handle it as long as I get a nap later. Since most of the day was still gonna be boyz day before the women showed up had to get to Sara Park for demo rides and the lines start early. Hit the Junction for some breakfast and that’s something I didn’t have too much of while on the road, breakfast. Normally would hit the road for as late as some of the days started and just stop for a late lunch and some days, neither, just a candy bar and Mountain Dew to get me to my destination for what I hope would be a great dinner. Well, that was the first part of the trip that now that I’m somewhat back to reality, 3 meals a day work. Made our way down to the demo rides and the lines were already long enough that instead of waiting for a touring bike to try out, might be able to ride a few others first. Ok, got in the softtail line, not the kind of bike I’d think about buying after what I already have this year and knowing how riding a Dyna Wide Glide for miles feels like, but it was the shortest line that might as well check it out. Since this is a ride put on by Harley, they require a DOT approved helmet that tried to use the one I had along with for the 17 states that I did have to wear a helmet in, but they wouldn’t buy my story that I was approved by the New York cops…well, that part is true, since I did get pulled over in New York for not having a helmet only to have the cop watch me put it on that that sounds like approval to me…I knew I should’ve had the letters DOT pasted to the back before getting in line. Well, wasn’t impressed with the softtail standard I took out and besides, my neck was hurting with the parachute I had on my head that cut the ride short.

Ok, I’m going straight to the dresser line, you know, the cruisers with all the luggage bags, otherwise known as baggers since the line is longer and the other guys still have a few bikes to ride. Now you know, Dressers, Cruisers and Baggers are pretty much synonymous in the biking world, it just makes a difference on whether it’s a Harley or not. Well, never did get to take the bagger out because everyone seemed to be in line for the same on and since they were only down to one, it was gonna be at least another hour that the rest of the guys were done and remember, we have places to go and things to do be before the ladies show up. Made our way to Minocqua and that brings back memories because it’s a place that me and boyz, another group of boyz use to party every Memorial and Labor day weekend…that was before some got married and had kids, but hey, someone’s gotta go there, right? Well, captured some of the places that we’d normally visit including the field where I showed the boyz some moves while playing a little tag football…and hey, Albie, look what the Minocqua Yacht club is named, Albee’s…same name, different spelling.

The Northern Lights Harley shop had free food, that where ever there is a deal like that, it’s worth showing up to and had some good burgers and brats to fill my already full stomach. Remember since normally didn’t do breakfast on the road, three meals a day might be a little tough. From there had some riding to do and I have to tell you, there’s nothing like riding a road like Cedar Falls Road…better than any roller coaster that I’ve been on since I get to open it up and go as fast as I want – well, at least as fast as Chris who was leading would do, but we hit it hard, that once to the end, someone said, let’s see what John has to say, which is what we were expecting….can you guys ride it any faster – ok, a little sarcasm, but you’d have to have been there before. Made our way to Marilyn’s cabin, John and Sandy’s sister’s place that again, one of those places that I wish were my house with a view like that. John and Sandy get more use out of the place since he has to take care of the lawn, heat and snow blowing since his sister in law only uses it 3 times a year living in Virginia, that what a deal. Ok, maybe John jokes about how he should’ve gone for the richer sister, but hey, he ain’t doing too bad at all.

This year wasn’t a year to ride the parade since we were missing a few passengers, but did make it downtown to see it. It’s the big thing on Friday night in Tomahawk and caught a great picture of Willie G and Nancy…well we assume it’s her, but like Milan said with the dark shield down, couldn’t tell. Ok, did have to explain to Larry who Willie G. is that for the rest of you who might not know, he’s the grandson of one of the founders William A. Davidson and had a lot to do with the family getting the company back from AMF and turning things around. Yep, more to the story because sometime around 1969 the bowling company AMF took over Harley-Davidson and really didn’t do anything about the quality of the bikes or made much in the way of updates that in 1981 thirteen of the senior executives of Harley Davidson purchased Harley-Davidson Motor Company from AMF…now hoes that for knowing my history which most true Harley owners already know – and God bless America cuz now that I’ve seen it all, we are truly blessed to live in this country we do with the beauty it has to offer.

Had to get something to eat that made our way back to Besse’s to see Brenda and Robin and try out their fish fry which Emily and Sam made sure we were happy with. Ok, Sam, all we were looking for was a smile. Well, Chris, Larry and I had a few bars to hit on the way back to the cabin, people to meet which I haven’t talked about yet, but while downtown ran into someone Chris use to date who now lives in Menominee, Sara that she’s trying to set one of us up with her girlfriend from Eau Claire that for me, too close to home…well, another home that I’m better off staying away from that we’ll see tomorrow who she rides. Back to the cabin and tonight I get to show off some of the pictures from Alaska that when Sandy came over to checkout some of the pictures, Dale said, ‘Let her click thru the pictures’. Well, the story is that she’s spent the last week and a late Friday night working on an install of a new computer system, that she just needs to vent…well, venting on my pictures, maybe not so I’ll drive. Tomorrow, let’s see what tomorrow brings, but I suspect another day having to get out of bed early. Tomahawk Rally Pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I would have owned it back in the 80's...we would have saved lots of money! I question your memory on those football games though.....I recall you were farmed out to the Law Blades, and the Medford boyz mopped you up!

9/22/2006 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home